"MOLD" Top Loading Washing Machine

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Default "MOLD" Top Loading Washing Machine

Planning on buying washer & dryer on next trip to TV and have been online doing some research..Obviusly top loaders use less water which is a plus.. I read a few articles about Mold forming in these washers as opposed to top loaders..My W&D will be in my garage which is is very hot and humid of course. Does anyone have a top loader in their garage and do they have a MOLD problem????
How much water am I saving by buying top loader..Any input will be helpful...Thanks.....Laura
Old 08-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Default Top load washer

I have a top load washer in my garage. I have had it 5 years and no mold problems at all. After washing is finished, I leave the lid up until it's dry inside before closing. I think this eliminates the mold problem.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Default top load washer

I think the potential mold issue is related to a front load washer which uses less water, we had a front loader in our home on the New Jersey coast for 4 years without any mold issues.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:41 PM

I think you are talking about a front loader, this is my second one and never had mold problem. I do leave my door open occasionally to make sure it dries out. I was told before that they don't drain as well as the top loaders and if you don't use it often to leave the door open on occasion to prevent an odor from building inside. But like I said I have never had a problem, and I like it much better than my old top loaders.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Sage

Do you mean a front loader washer? I have one and all you have to do is make sure to keep the door open until the interior dries out. You also need to remember to wipe the rubber gasket surrounding the opening since water gets trapped in there. If you do that, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Gold member

I have front loaders in my garage and no problems with mold. These units are fairly new so they only have been there for almost 2 yrs and prior to these I had top loader in garage for 7+ yrs and still no problems with mold or odors. I can't give an exact saving of water but front loader surely does use less water.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

We have a front loader in the garage and have had no mold issues.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.