Moving light over Dining Room Table to properly center??

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 AM
Default Moving light over Dining Room Table to properly center??

I recently moved into an existing Iris. The light over the dining room table is not, in my opinion, properly located for being centered over the table,has anyone had this light repositioned? Who did the work and approx. how much was the cost$.All input appreciated.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:26 AM
Sage

Is it possible to move the table a little?
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Sage

Interesting you say that because I am in a Beuganvilla and my light is not properly centered either. Ceiling is vaulted and the light should have been hung from the peak where the vault meets the flat part of the ceiling. Either men designed the location or it wasn't cost effective to hang it properly. It drive me nuts, but not sure I want the mess or expense to move it.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Easiest and cheapest solution is to make the chain and wiring longer and swag the light from a hook properly centered where you want it. A DIY project or fairly low cost to hire done.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Sage

Having built several homes and having my other half being in the construction business...this has been a conundrum in homes before this. Think while in the building process there are studs and ceiling beams. Most electricians need to place the light box on one of these. It's difficult to determine in this part of the process where exactly a table might be placed. Now that being said "if" you want to move it...it will take some expertise to do then the old hole will have to be patched etc. so it won't show. Somewhat difficult now!!

You'd think that after going through this process several times ourselves we'd have it down but have to tell you, one almost needs to live in a house THEN figure out where to place the light switches etc. It's all backwards of course to do. The last home we had, we got a hook and swagged the fixture.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 AM

I'm in a Begonia and our dining room light fixture is about 3-4" offset (towards the lanai) from the center of the wall where the hutch sits. I hung a painting and installed rear surround speakers centered on that wall. It drives the wife crazy.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 AM

We have a whispering pine designer home and had it stretched as much as property would allow and had same problem, I called warranty dept and they came out and looked at it, and they did have someone come out and center it, house is still in it's first year, so no cost. Worth a call as they did move ours, now I must NOTE: our light in the breakfast nook area was the one that was not centered properly, I can see also in the dining area the same problem, but we don't use that room as a dining area, so that light doesn't create same problem. Would definitely give warranty a call though, as I did get ours fixed, they did an excellent job of moving it and can't tell where it was before.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

same at our house it just don't look at it
Old 11-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Easiest and cheapest solution is to make the chain and wiring longer and swag the light from a hook properly centered where you want it. A DIY project or fairly low cost to hire done.
This could be the most logical solution unless one does not like the swag look. If new dining room furnature is obtained in the future, it's much easier to move hook than the mount if necessary!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Interesting you say that because I am in a Beuganvilla and my light is not properly centered either. Ceiling is vaulted and the light should have been hung from the peak where the vault meets the flat part of the ceiling. Either men designed the location or it wasn't cost effective to hang it properly. It drive me nuts, but not sure I want the mess or expense to move it.
Try swagging the cord
Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 PM

I had my repositioned by an electrician, Galaxy, and then they recommended a drywall person to patch up the previous spot. You would never know it was moved as you can't see where is was originally. Did a great job. I had mine done when a light switch dimmer failed, so I only paid $35.00 for it to be moved, plus $65 for the drywall fix, I didn't have to pay for the service call since I had warranty work done at the same time. I was not aware that warranty would take care of the light fixture move as part of the new home warranty. Oh well, it looks great and it was all done in a matter of less than 30 minutes.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 PM

we have a new Iris. In our case, we keep the table and chairs closer to the wall when not used to allow more room to get around so the light is off center. However, when we use the dinning room furniture and move it away from the wall it is center. For now, we will keep it this way since we can't figure out a way to have it center both ways.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 PM

We have an Iris and had the same problem. Called warranty and they came out and said that he was sure it was in the correct spot according to the designer's specs for the Iris. I insisted that he check with the plans on the house. He called his office and they read off the exact measurements that it should be from each wall and it was exactly where they had designated. He said the designer allows for a hutch against the wall which pushes the light out further. They refused to move it so it is up to us to have that done. That would require cutting another hole in the ceiling and then repairing the original with new drywall. Bottom line - sorry about our luck!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Gold member

This is something that should be addressed at your design meeting. We had the light location placed where we want it to be for our table location. Measured it out and it was located exactly where we wanted it. I know this will not help those who have already closed, but for those who have not been throught the design process, it can be relocated.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

In our Lily, my wife had us turn the dinning table at an angle and just that little move made the room more attractive and solved the problem.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.