Mowers

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Veteran member
Default Mowers

I'm looking for a mower who bags the clippings. I have a wonderful mower but he doesn't bag and as a result, I have a lot of thatch on the lawn and in my mulch beds. I can rake the lawn and pick up the clippings but can't do anything about the dead grass in the beds.

I undestand that most of the mowers do not use bags becaue they have no place to dispose of the clippings. Anyone have any luck in this area?
Old 09-25-2009, 04:48 AM

Clippings do not cause or promote thatch in lawns. In fact the grass clippings actually benefit lawn in the decomposing process. Thatch is caused from over fertilizing and over watering of the St. Augustine grass.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/LH010
Old 09-25-2009, 06:38 AM
Banned

I own and operate a mowing service in TV. What Greenerside is exactly right. Proper mowing schedules so the grass doesn't get too tall between cuttings and keeeping a proper and not excessive fertilizer schedule helps with thatch control. Occasionally if the soil is compacted or the thatch has built up because of too long of grass at the times of mowing...usually caused by mowers not showing up every week in summer...you can have the lawn aerated. This is a machine that pokes tons of holes in your dirt right thru the grass and thatch and allows the lawn to "breathe". This will help promote decay of the thatch as well as help your root system tremendously. But honestly--I don't know of any mower that bags and removes the clippings.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

The clippings on the grass don't bother me as much because I can rake if it looks too bad. For instance, my mowers come every Satruday. A few weeks ago the rain was too heavy so they came the following Monday. The grass (Zoysia) was long so as a result, there was a lot of noticible piles of cllipping that I raked up the next day. But the clippings in the mulch beds can't be raked and it just piles up every week. As a result, I have layers of dead grass all through my mulch beds and plants.

Tom, what do I do about that?????
Old 09-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Default Trade Mowers With me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539 View Post
I'm looking for a mower who bags the clippings. I have a wonderful mower but he doesn't bag and as a result, I have a lot of thatch on the lawn and in my mulch beds. I can rake the lawn and pick up the clippings but can't do anything about the dead grass in the beds.

I undestand that most of the mowers do not use bags becaue they have no place to dispose of the clippings. Anyone have any luck in this area?
Hello:
I have a mower with a rear ****** that has never been used. I would be willing to loan or trade with you.

Unfortunately, bagging clippings will only take you much longer to do your lawn, the lawn will look worse and and what you are calling "thatch" will still be there.

Thatch 101

Like someone has already said, Thatch is a lower layer of grass which is caused by too much nitrogen and moisture.

If you are lucky enough to live in a home which has zoyzia grass - start by cutting your lawn to 1/2 inch in height and mulch the clippings - do not bag the clippings.

The problem with grass in your beds is probably caused by neglect and can only be cured by elbow grease and possibly several careful applications of Round up. With the Climate getting better it will be easier.

Having a great lawn in Florida is never easy but it is very possible. Right now it sounds like the lawn is controlling you - with a little patience and extra effort you will soon learn how to take control and things like thatch will disappear and It will be a Great Day In the Villages again.

Good Luck and May you live Every Day of Your Life.

John Neyenhouse

Web:http://www.villagealarm.com

Email:http://www.coachspeaks@gmail.com
Old 09-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539 View Post
The clippings on the grass don't bother me as much because I can rake if it looks too bad. For instance, my mowers come every Satruday. A few weeks ago the rain was too heavy so they came the following Monday. The grass (Zoysia) was long so as a result, there was a lot of noticible piles of cllipping that I raked up the next day. But the clippings in the mulch beds can't be raked and it just piles up every week. As a result, I have layers of dead grass all through my mulch beds and plants.

Tom, what do I do about that?????
GET A NEW MOWING COMPANY!!! Sounds to me like they are doing a really half-arsed job and getting paid anyway. Who the hell blows grass into someones flower beds?!?! Who the heck doesnt go around with a blower and blow the clumps left behind by the mower away?!?! Sounds like their mower is shooting the grass out the side and all over the place, not using mulching blades and attatchments and dropping the grass right where the mower drove over. seriously...sounds like you need to find a new compaany...one that cares about more than the monthly check.

Also as a side note...Zoysia clumps badly when its mowed wet or damp from the morning dew. This happens even with the mulching blades and attatchments. If this is the case, the clumps should have been blown to be broken up and dispersed until they are gone
Old 09-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
start by cutting your lawn to 1/2 inch in height and mulch the clippings - do not bag the clippings.
Great idea--but probably the wrong time of year for this. Too hot and dry now. Best time is in thje spring months when the growth rate is at its peak. The grass should be brought down in height in increments...If you just go and "chop" the lawn down in height ...it will take forever to grow back in and you could potentially kill alot of it off...again--good idea just do it in gradual steps each week.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Gold member

google a Neuton. Awesome mower.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.