need help on guidelines for doing business with a contractor

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Send a message via AIM to gg
Default need help on guidelines for doing business with a contractor

What do you think is a fair % of money to put down for a job.. what if they want it all before the job is done? I would like some guidance of what to do since my job is not even near complete and they want the rest of the money. I am not mentioning any companies...so do not ask...I just want to know what to do...since now they say the will not complete the job and it needs completed.

Last edited by gg; 11-15-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 11-15-2011, 02:23 PM

Watch out! I've been a remodeling contractor for 25+ years. I've rarely (once)asked for money to even start a job and that was because I had to order nonreturnable materials from out of State. Occasionally I'd ask for material money as the job progressed but NEVER for final payment before the work was complete. Make sure you're happy with the work BEFORE final payment just in case there are some bugs in the job. Most will be glad to accomodate you. I've also as President of a Florida condo association have signed many contracts. I will not commit more that 25% of the contract before work is started. Many want progressive payments which is ok, However, let me stress again do not make final payment until you're happy.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:12 PM

Contractors I have used in The Villages, have told me Never give a downpayment. This was landscape contractor and contractor that expanded our lanai. Also make sure they got approval from Architect Review Commitee.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Contact Seniors Vs Crime at either sheriff's office in The Villages (Marion or Sumter). They have a handout that gives some guidelines. Their guidelines were also published in the VHA monthly newsletter but I forget which issue. I believe their guidelines are specificially for a large landscaping job but the principle applies to any large job. Their number are (Marion Office) 352-753-7775 or (Sumter Office) 352-689-4600, Ext. 4606.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
What do you think is a fair % of money to put down for a job.. what if they want it all before the job is done? I would like some guidance of what to do since my job is not even near complete and they want the rest of the money. I am not mentioning any companies...so do not ask...I just want to know what to do...since now they say the will not complete the job and it needs completed.
I believe they call this EXTORTION...we as a small independent mom and pop business owner of installations have never asked for payment up front for a job that is not completed..sure possibly for materials if there is a call for it..but never ask for full payment of $'s for an uncompleted job.
This is unheard of..what if you do pay them and they take off like alot of shoddy unreputible companies around?
I would not pay them however I would report them...as stated in previous post.

We do not ask for down payment at all at the start of a job...if the customer wishes to put a downpayment that is fine..but never the FULL payment.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Gold member

Never pay in full until the job is finished and you are totally satisfied. As someone mentioned earlier, check with the Architectural Review Committee (ARC) to see if your project needs a permit from them (you will be responsible for that). Ask for a copy of the contractor's city business license or call the local regulatory agency to make sure they are licensed. This does not sound like a reputable company to me. I have been a real estate broker for 40 years, a paralegal for 25, have actually done renovation work and currently am employed at a University in the Engineering and Construction Department that oversees all construction on a large campus and we always hold 10% back until after the job is finished and we are satisfied.
Good luck and let us know how things are going. We care. All of the above advice is good.
In reality, they're different!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

This is good advise from Lake County government:

Early warning signs of an unlicensed contractor

A large down payment is requested before work begins.

Many requests for money during early phases of construction.

The homeowner is asked to obtain the permit.

Verbal contract only, the person is not willing to put all terms in writing.

The contractor does not have proof of insurance.

The contractor informs the homeowner that the job does not require a permit or inspection. (To verify if a permit is actually required, call Building Services at (352) 343-9653.)

The contractor is only willing to work on weekends or after hours.

Someone other than the person or company contracting to do the work obtains the permit.

Contractor displays only a business tax receipt. (An business tax receipt [aka occupational license] is not a license to perform contracting work.)

The homeowners is asked to make checks payable to an individual when the contract is with a company, or asked to make payments in cash, or to make the check payable to "cash."

Newspaper advertisements, flyers or yellow page advertisements where only the telephone number appears and there is not a business address.

License numbers are not on the vehicle, business cards, contracts, flyers, newspaper or yellow page advertisements.

The homeowner can also ask questions

Ask what type of license they have. The license should be issued from Lake County Building Services or the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

Ask to see a copy of their license. To lawfully engage in contracting, a contractor must be either State Registered or State Certified, or Locally Licensed.

Ask for a copy of their liability and workman's compensation insurance. Licensed contractors must have general liability and workers compensation insurance in force at all times.

http://www.lakecountyfl.gov/departme..._yourself.aspx
Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It certanly would help if we had "some" specifics?? Is this a construction job or landscaping job something else!

What is the scope of the job...are we talking $2000 OR $30000 and how much time (calendar days) is the job taking (compared to expected)??? Was ARC approval required (and obtained) were county permits and inspections required and performed?

Are there any issues with the job regarding the work performed to date!

Most important.....What did you sign when you contracted with this company...were progress payments laid out or how did it address
payment(s) especially final payment!

I would be very leary of paying any contractor before I was satisfied with the job especialy with teh job was not completed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.