Need recomendation to fix roof leak

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2020, 08:45 AM
Default Need recomendation to fix roof leak

Does anybody know a reliable contractor for fixing a roof leak? My Gardenia has a small leak in the front den and every time we get a heavy rain a small leak appears.

Last edited by hotpotato; 06-07-2020 at 09:12 AM. Reason: added content
Old 06-07-2020, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,983 Times in 1,130 Posts
Default Batter bee roofing

They put new roof on after tornado didn’t ask for a dime until months later , in my last home I thought I had leak in garage ,they came out and found some hunk in dryer vent charged me nothing 3527486300
Old 06-07-2020, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,366 Times in 2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpotato View Post
Does anybody know a reliable contractor for fixing a roof leak? My Gardenia has a small leak in the front den and every time we get a heavy rain a small leak appears.
There was a thread 2 or 3 years ago about a possible defect in the gardenia design that would cause a small leak. I do not know if the thread is still on here, but I did private message the original author and they never got back to me, we have a gardenia also. i have never noticed any leaks in the den area, but there are a few variations of this house design, and i do not know which version may have had the problem.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,929 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
There was a thread 2 or 3 years ago about a possible defect in the gardenia design that would cause a small leak. I do not know if the thread is still on here, but I did private message the original author and they never got back to me, we have a gardenia also. i have never noticed any leaks in the den area, but there are a few variations of this house design, and i do not know which version may have had the problem.
Here is a post from "Nipper" a few years ago, but there are several threads about the Gardenia leaks.

"I live on the south side of 466 and on my cul da sac there are two Gardenia's that have developed roof leaks at the raised block structure at the front entrance. My house was built in 2004. In 2014 we noticed a discolored spot on the ceiling of the office a few years ago. When we tore out built-in bookcases the entire wall was covered with mold. We called the warranty department. They sent a roofer out who said he repaired it. The repair to the office was more than $6,000. Two days ago we AGAIN discovered mold behind the newly constructed bookcases. The insurance adjuster said that our particular model has a design flaw and the fix was not done correctly (by the original roofing company that installed the roof). Below I am including a few posts related from TOTV related to my problem.
My question is: HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT A CLASS ACTION SUIT RELATED TO THIS DESIGN FLAW. The contractor who repaired the interior of our house said he gets at least a half dozen calls a year with people who have to exact same problem. And he is just one of dozens of contractors working in The Villages. Here are posts from three years ago:

1. Please let me know if you know of instances where Gardinia/Magnolia designer homes have experienced roof leaks, particularly homes built on the north side of Route 466. I'm getting a sense from a few cases I know of and from a conversation with a roofer that these models had design flaws that promote roof leaks.

2. Nine years and still leaks over front room (gardenia). Not the shingles but design flaw (valley goes towards vertical wall not eaves) allowing water (during heavy rains) to go over flashing and down inside wall of den. Many, many calls to home warranty, etc. ....now at our expense. Have had stucco redone and then caulking added after new leak at our expense.
As a follow up, haven't had a summer of heavy, constant rains since 2004, the year we closed on the house.
jmho ...but be aware of roof lines (valleys) and subsequent water flow.

3. I'm getting a sense from a few cases I know of and from a conversation with a roofer that these models had design flaws that promote roof leaks. Let me know please.
I live on the south side of 466 and on my cul da sac there have three Gardena's that have developed roof leeks and all three have been on the left side of the port a co (raised block structure at front enterance). There is a dead valley because the block structure doesn't allow the pirch to run continuous. I just had mine checked this week because a neighbors had leaked for the second time this year. Now the roofing and sheating in this section is being replaced at the HOME OWNERS expense."
Old 06-07-2020, 05:03 PM

One of the homes on my street built around 2000 had repeated roof leaks in the same location. The design of the roof is such that one roof plane drains right up against a vertical wall. On top of that, the roof was not step flashed like it should have been.

Warranty sent out contractors a number of times and their solution was always to apply more butyl caulk. The right solution was to step flash that area, although the roof should not have been designed that way in the first place. Up north, where a roof drained up against a brick chimney, a cricket was built to prevent that situation.
Closed Thread

Tags
roof, leak, recomendation, fix, reliable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.