Need a small birdcage canvas top on the screen of the lanai

Old 04-19-2024, 07:32 PM
Default Need a small birdcage canvas top on the screen of the lanai

We have an 11 year old courtyard villa in Montbrook/Tamarind grove with a small birdcage attached to our small lanai.
The canvas top is all worn and needs replacing. Can you suggest people that specialize in this. Someone told us Cody's but we would like to get a few estimates.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	birdcage canvass.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	103770   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	birdcage canvass2.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	103771  
Old 04-19-2024, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,265 Posts

IMHO, check with the sunbrella or similar companies to see if they offer this service. The other option would be to call the screening companies to see if they offer the service, I recently used A+ screening and was very happy with their work.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolw123 View Post
We have an 11 year old courtyard villa in Montbrook/Tamarind grove with a small birdcage attached to our small lanai.
The canvas top is all worn and needs replacing. Can you suggest people that specialize in this. Someone told us Cody's but we would like to get a few estimates.
Thanks
Got ours from sunshine awning
Old 04-19-2024, 08:51 PM
Default Arc

Check to make sure the color is acceptable. A neighbor put one up with an unusual color. Someone complained and it had to be changed.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

Sunshine awnings is the only place that does these. They require a special hurricane rated frame for installation. The frame attaches to the top of the birdcage. Cody is the name of the person that comes out and gives estimates for Sunshine.

If you have an old canvas top, I would guess that Sunshine originally installed it. The cost to re-cover the top is about 50% of the cost for a new install (and, since prices have gone up considerably, will probably be about the same to re-cover as the original install was).

They offer a new material called Herculite Natura. It's a vinyl based product, stronger than Sunbrella, doesn't sag over time, and is completely waterproof. Same cost for either product. I just had mine done with the Herculite Natura and love it so far.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
Sunshine awnings is the only place that does these. They require a special hurricane rated frame for installation. The frame attaches to the top of the birdcage. Cody is the name of the person that comes out and gives estimates for Sunshine.

If you have an old canvas top, I would guess that Sunshine originally installed it. The cost to re-cover the top is about 50% of the cost for a new install (and, since prices have gone up considerably, will probably be about the same to re-cover as the original install was).

They offer a new material called Herculite Natura. It's a vinyl based product, stronger than Sunbrella, doesn't sag over time, and is completely waterproof. Same cost for either product. I just had mine done with the Herculite Natura and love it so far.
Would you mind sharing the approximate size and cost for the cover?
Old 04-21-2024, 06:50 AM
Veteran member

They charge purely by the sq ft. Mine is very large - 960 sq ft covering, and it cost $7,200 to recover.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:03 AM

Pool brews, if you don’t mind could you give me a ballpark price on that?
Old 04-21-2024, 07:07 AM

Following this: need to cover part of birdcage with water resistant material. Yes, agree with others that this does not need ARC approval, but must be a neutral color. It's documented in the CDD web site
Old 04-21-2024, 07:27 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

The cost for doing this was so high I did not go forward and bought an umbrella. Outrageously expensive.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:53 AM
Default Birdcage cover

For not a whole lot more, we had our birdcage screen roof replaced with thick styrofoam panels. They are strong enough that you can walk on the roof. You can also have it shingled if you wish. I strongly suggest you contact Simplex in Mt. Dora at 352-357-2828.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:04 AM

We had Cody and Sunshine install our canvas partially over a screen on our birdcage about 5 years ago and it still looks good. No problems other than wind noises. I would love to know more about the styrofoam panel roof so I might call Simplex for future reference.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
For not a whole lot more, we had our birdcage screen roof replaced with thick styrofoam panels. They are strong enough that you can walk on the roof. You can also have it shingled if you wish. I strongly suggest you contact Simplex in Mt. Dora at 352-357-2828.
Did you need ARC approval for this? I am interested because we were not able to do a solid cieling on our Pergola because ARC won't approve that anymore. Really stupid. This sounds like sort of the same thing. Can you post pictures?
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 04-22-2024, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Did you need ARC approval for this? I am interested because we were not able to do a solid cieling on our Pergola because ARC won't approve that anymore. Really stupid. This sounds like sort of the same thing. Can you post pictures?
Sunshine Awnings are pre-approved for installation with ARC. You do not need ARC approval. The only reason you would go to ARC is if you select a color that is not on their pre-approved list.

Tags
canvas, lanai, small, top

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.