Need suggestions for tax prep

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2017, 06:37 PM
Default Need suggestions for tax prep

I just moved from Iowa in August and need recommendation on someone to do my taxes. Not sure how complicated it is to do them with living in one state part of the year and another state the remainder of the year. To further complicate it, I went through a divorce, changed my name back, sold a house and bought a house. Suggestions????
Old 01-06-2017, 09:11 PM

As long as you do not have any rental properties, the AARP service located in the Villages can do your taxes for 0$. Check it out. Put www.villages taxable.com in your browser.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGirl View Post
I just moved from Iowa in August and need recommendation on someone to do my taxes. Not sure how complicated it is to do them with living in one state part of the year and another state the remainder of the year. To further complicate it, I went through a divorce, changed my name back, sold a house and bought a house. Suggestions????
Because of the complexity of yours, at least for this year, I would shy away from any free service and look around for at least retired tax accountant here in The Villages.

Even with a retired CPA though, there might be new laws that they aren't up to snuff on.

My suggestion is that for at least this year, make sure you get someone who is very good...even if they cost a little more.

I can't recommend one, because the person I used screwed mine up last year and the IRS caught it...and sent me a larger refund.

So I'm looking too...and mine is fairly easy (now).
Old 01-06-2017, 11:58 PM

The Jackson Hewitt booth at Walmart is good.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:14 AM

Crippen & Co CPA is a local, very professional group of accountants.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:58 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Howard at Many Happy Returns 352-347-6780. Qualified to represent your with the IRS.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
Howard at Many Happy Returns 352-347-6780. Qualified to represent your with the IRS.
Excellent point.

While I have yet to go through an audit, I too look for someone who is qualified to accompany me to the IRS if needed.

Keeping in mind that their main purpose is just to explain how the taxes were calculated, not necessarily verifying that the amounts given by the client are accurate.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:52 AM

Clarification. AARP can only do Federal taxes. Most states take information from the Federal.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Excellent point.

While I have yet to go through an audit, I too look for someone who is qualified to accompany me to the IRS if needed.

Keeping in mind that their main purpose is just to explain how the taxes were calculated, not necessarily verifying that the amounts given by the client are accurate.
Hartman, Hartman and O'Brien. Bill O'Brien is outstanding to work with. Also, AARP butchered one of our returns years ago and also my in-laws. Do not trust them at all. Go with a pro who will be there for you. After AARP messed us up we were given run around until we brought to Bill who fixed the situations. Located in Lady Lake off of 466.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:33 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I would be happy to discuss your tax needs. I have a boutique tax practice in The Villages and greater area where I come and meet with you for an initial review of your tax needs, no charge or obligation. If you decide you would like to hire me, I will prepare your tax return and get it back to you. I am reasonably priced and professional. I had a tax practice of my own for over 35 years in Seattle and am licensed in Washington State. I have many references on my TOTV page. I deal with complex tax issues including out of State and Country, or special situations which require attention.

Give me a call, any day of the week, Bob Bloom 425 941 5224
Old 01-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGirl View Post
If you have done your own taxes in the past I think you would be ok with Turbox.
CreditKarma.com offers free tax programs. No idea how good.
There is no Fl income tax so you only have to file your old state for the months you lived in that state. Thus if you had a person doing your taxes in that state I would see if they can do this years taxes.
Federal taxes are not affected by your move. Exception if you moved for a new job you have deductible relocation expenses.
Selling the home could result in taxable income but a good part of the gain maybe non taxable. Might add sales price of home, cost of home + improvements, sold before or after your divorce.
Did you get a mortgage on the new home and pay points? If not the new home probably has no bearing on this years taxes.
Might consider to doing your taxes on CreditKarma and if you are not sure then go to a professional. The advantage is you will start to learn about taxes. I know a professional who did his own taxes then went to a CPA for years.
Closed Thread

Tags
house, year, state, suggestions, complicate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.