Need work? Need Income? PLEASE go into the handyman business ! ...

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2017, 03:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
Why would anyone drive 90 minutes to clean gutters? That would be my first hint!
That's what Amazon had and I was trying Amazon in the naive hope that if they're good enough to be on/stay on Amazon, they'll do good work for me.

Also, I thought that HMs closer to the Villages know how to fleece the Villages. The further away the come from, maybe the more grateful, hence honest, they'll be for the business.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenod View Post
Go to youtube, you can learn nearly everything and do it yourself. Usually gutters only need to be cleaned near the downpours. Debris accumulate near downpours. I clean my own

Hubby is a pro and would be insulted to be called a handyman. Taught me everything I know.

Best advice my Dad gave me, "Learn as much as you can, you may have to fall back on it someday" Very true, thanks Dad!
I'm absentee -- I can't do any of this myself. I would if I could.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Don Cunningham is the best handyman that I can think of. BUT a lot of people know that and have him on their speed dial. He is hardworking, smart and honest.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog99 View Post
That's what Amazon had and I was trying Amazon in the naive hope that if they're good enough to be on/stay on Amazon, they'll do good work for me.

Also, I thought that HMs closer to the Villages know how to fleece the Villages. The further away the come from, maybe the more grateful, hence honest, they'll be for the business.
If a local handyman was dishonest, how long do you think he would last after it was posted on TOTV.
Or for that matter just ask for a recommendation right here.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

We tried and tried to have one of the highly praised, walk on water villages handymen do work for us. Cancelled four appointments before he finally showed up. Gave an estimate, which we accepted immediately. Never showed up again or returned calls. Bottom line, you had a 50/50 chance.

Last edited by Villager Joyce; 09-19-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
What does "licensed" mean in the handyman context?

Does anyone understand what businesses need to be licensed? For example, do home watchers need a license of some kind? How about people who mow your lawn?
Old 09-19-2017, 08:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
You don't need much to start a handyman business. Hang out your shingle, a pickup would be preferable and some tools and perhaps a ladder. Florida does not require a license so thus no background check or completion of a training program.

That said, I'm sure there are some reliable and skilled workers available in The Villages. Due deligence is necessary!
Apparently Lake County requires a license.

Story in the **************: (the other on-line news source)

Villages handyman arrested in Silver Lake
"A Villages handyman was arrested Saturday afternoon in the Village of Silver Lake for contracting without a license.

Michael Paul Shoffstall, 63, who lives on Bay Meadows Lane in the Village of Country Club Hills, was arrested at Tarrson Boulevard and Shay Boulevard by Lady Lake police.

He also refused to sign a citation issued by a code enforcement officer.

He was booked at the Lake County Jail and released after posting $1,500 bond."
Old 09-20-2017, 04:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
We tried and tried to have one of the highly praised, walk on water villages handymen do work for us. Cancelled four appointments before he finally showed up. Gave an estimate, which we accepted immediately. Never showed up again or returned calls. Bottom line, you had a 50/50 chance.
Yes, that was my experience with 2 handymen: well known/good-at-first/excellent manipulators.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Apparently Lake County requires a license.

Story in the **************: (the other on-line news source)

Villages handyman arrested in Silver Lake
"A Villages handyman was arrested Saturday afternoon in the Village of Silver Lake for contracting without a license.

Michael Paul Shoffstall, 63, who lives on Bay Meadows Lane in the Village of Country Club Hills, was arrested at Tarrson Boulevard and Shay Boulevard by Lady Lake police.

He also refused to sign a citation issued by a code enforcement officer.

He was booked at the Lake County Jail and released after posting $1,500 bond."

"Good going" -- your tax dollars at work...

Licensing isn't the answer; they always end up screwing the consumer: re: doctors, lawyers, dentists, plumbers, electricians, denturists, beauticians, etc.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:50 AM
Sage

Point well taken.

I went with Amazon because I naively thought if they were good enough for Amazon they'd do a good job for me.

I made the same mistake with Home Depot -- I contracted with them to replace my carpet with vinyl planking -- the job took 11 months, cost $1000 over estimate, and the living room had to be done 3 times to get it right.

Is the world turning to sh*t or is it just me?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnrbec View Post
Unfortunately, it's not just handymen. We moved into a preowned villa that had lots of needs and have spent the last month staying frustrated with service people. I'm not sure if it's because they have more work than they need but their word means nothing. Any flimsy excuse for not showing up is ok by most of them. We have canceled other plans more than once to be here only to have either a no-show or a last minute cancellation. Both my husband and I were self-employed and can't imagine being this blasé about keeping commitments!
Our experience as well. The area is glutted with self proclaimed handymen who have minimal skills, ridiculous prices and bad work ethic. TG for Talk of the Villages and neighborhood groups to weed them out to find the good ones.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Does anyone understand what businesses need to be licensed? For example, do home watchers need a license of some kind? How about people who mow your lawn?
Sone of the licensed ones are the worst. Ask around before you get some stranger in to do work. We. Had two instances with even hanging blinds! What a mess!
Old 09-20-2017, 06:26 AM
fw102807

Things are very different in the south but it doesn't snow so I can get used to it.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,729 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I think that anyone doing business is required to have a license. But, people doing certain skilled work also need a special contractor license, and if they do electrical or plumbing work, they need additional licenses. A handyman may have a regular business license, but not a contractor, electrical, or plumbing license. They make money by doing plumbing and electrical work illegally, at a lower cost than people who actually have the proper training and license for those trades.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think that anyone doing business is required to have a license. But, people doing certain skilled work also need a special contractor license, and if they do electrical or plumbing work, they need additional licenses. A handyman may have a regular business license, but not a contractor, electrical, or plumbing license. They make money by doing plumbing and electrical work illegally, at a lower cost than people who actually have the proper training and license for those trades.
Licensing for Plumbers, Electricians, and carpenters are rackets to limit competition, force up prices, and screw consumers, especially for doctors, lawyers, and dentists, and Professional Engineers, who write their own rules for competition.
Closed Thread

Tags
ladder, gutters, shows, step, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.