NEW 2 YOU -Shocker-Consignment Boycott Request

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

New2You.....thanks for you comments and first hand knowledge of what happened from your perspective.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Sage

New2u... I also thank you for coming on here to tell the story from your perspective.

A totally objective observer of this whole incident would probably agree with a little bit of what both you and the OP said.

Perception and perspective are in the eyes of the beholder...there probably is no absolute true/false, only perception.

Each reader can take from this thread what they may and make their shopping decisions accordingly.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Default new 2 u

I have shopped at new 2 u for a couple of years and have NEVER had any problems there. The owner and her employees have always been gracious, helpful and friendly and it IS a consignment shop so one knows that one is buying used merchandise for less than retail prices and the policy is posted "NO RETURNS" which is the policy in all consignment shops where I have shopped.
Before you buy anything in any used merchandise shop, you need to check it out, try it on, and assure yourself that it is what you want.
A store cannot be blamed if the item purchased is not up to your standards if you did not check it.
New 2 u does attempt to only re-sell good, clean merchandise though I am sure that occasionally people try something on leaving makeup on the collar or perhaps even ripping a seam or ruining a zipper but that is not the store's fault if the item is purchased with these problems.
I am upset since I think that this could have been handled in a more diplomat fashion rather than lashing out and attempting to boycott a good business. Do any of these other respondents shop at new 2 u?? I want to hear from some of their other customers.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Default New2U is wonderful business!

My experience at New2U has been nothing but positive. The clothes are NOT dirty - I have bought hundreds of $$ of items there and not one of them was in less than wearable condition. The staff are courteous, helpful, and the return policy is very clear (and is the same as policies in other consignment stores where I shop, both here in The Villages area and further afield.) I am disturbed that a shopper there would make these baseless allegations against a store that is totally oriented towards customer satisfaction. Moreover, the clerk who was harangued by this sourpuss customer is the nicest person I have come across in a retail setting in a long time, who is 7 months pregnant but whose pleasant demeanor, helpfulness and attentiveness to customers continues to be unflagging. I say shame on this person for her baseless and nasty accusations against a business that is run honorably and in the best tradition of small retail stores.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2U View Post
Hello,

My name is Smoki Whitney, manager of NEW 2 U Consignment Boutique in Lady Lake, Fl. I do not live in The Villages, nor is our store located in The Villages, but a loyal customer of ours called us this morning to let us know about this posting. She thought the best thing to do would be to come on and leave our side of the story as it actually happened.

The woman who wrote this article (I will with hold her name) came in with a friend of hers. I am the person who is at the front desk and I am the one who sold her the shoes. (I was also here when she brought them back in.) As she was shopping around, she brought items up and was asking for discounts. The owner, Regina, informed her that it is not fair to our customers who bring the items in to discount them when they have just come in. The 'like new' golf shoes (that looked like they had never been worn-no dirt on the bottom in the cleats) that are in question, the owner said she would be willing to discount because there was a small tear in the back of the shoe (where you put your foot in). The highest our golf shoes ever are marked are $29, so she did not pay $36 like she stated and we did discount them even further. She said they were a smaller size than she wears, but they fit her when she tried them on. I made sure she really wanted to buy them and explained very clearly that she could not return or exchange anything. This has been our store policy since the day we opened and we have many signs in the store that say this. She asked if she could bring them back and reconsign them if she found they actually didn't fit her like she thought. I told her we can do that for her.

When she brought them back to consign, they were in really bad shape. Due to the condition of the shoes when they were returned, we could not have put any higher price than $19 on them and even with that lower price, there is no guarantee they would have sold. Regina would not have even taken them, had we not told her we would reconsign them for her. Regina was doing her a favor in reality, and told her hopefully they would sell and she could recoop some of her money, but if they did not sell in 60 days, they would go to Habitat for Humanity. She also signed a contract stating everything we informed her on it. She knew very well what she was doing and was in no way "taken advantage" of.

When she came into our store yesterday, she brought the shoes up to me and said in a very rude manner "How come these are priced so low, when you sold them to me at such a higher price?" She barely even let me explain, when she was raising her voice accusing me of 'scamming' her and making a big scene in front of everyone in the store. Regina then came over and tried explaining to her as well, that the shoes were not in the same condition as when she bought them. She was screaming that she brought them in the very next day, but we tried to explain to her that the condition they are in, is the condition they were in when she brought them back in. She wouldn't hear it and kept talking over us, so Regina asked if she would like the shoes back and when she said "absolutely not", Regina threw them in the garbage. (Where they stayed by the way.) She then started threatening us and saying she would go on talk of the town and Regina said exactly what the woman said she said, "We have enough nice people shopping with us that we don't need her business." At the point when she started threatening us and accusing us of "scamming her" Regina told me to ignore her because there was nothing we could say or do to make her happy.

We are very fair here, having been in business for 5 1/2 years. We have over 4,000 clients in our database and have so many wonderful, sweet and loving customers. Anyone who comes in here, knows we strive for great customer service and practices. We were the #1 consignment store in Lake and Sumter counties two years in a row and #2 the other two years, that doesn't just happen, without the great customers we have and the great job we are doing.

As for the comment about our "dirty" clothes, we may miss a spot or two out of the 100+ items we take in everyday, inventory, tag, and hang on the racks in one day. We only wish we had the staff to follow people around, we are so very busy in here, with everyone having their individual duties to accomplish. We love all of our customers and treat everyone the same, as far as "racist' goes, that is so funny. I'm married to a Mexican and we have a Jamaican working for us, we are the farthest you will ever see to anything racist. We have people of all nationalities coming in here and we certainly do not follow anyone around. These comments are completely untrue and I believe are just to get a rouse, there are no backing to them whatsoever. We are honest, hardworking people and every single day we hear from so many people that our store is beautiful, clean, "one of the nicest consignment stores I've ever been in". She was very rude and upsetting when she came in here with a chip on her shoulder, I'm 7 months pregnant and she brought me to tears because of the way she acted in here towards me.

Had she come in and asked to speak to the owner in private, and expressed her frustrations in a nice manner, we would have responded in kind. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond to this and hear our side of the story. Please feel free to come in and see for yourselves whether we are as this woman says.

Thank you for taking the trouble and time to respond. I live in TV and had never heard of your business until I read the post. I suppose you could thank her for the free advertisement because I'll be checking you out now. ; )
Old 11-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

There's two sides to every story.......
Old 11-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Smoki?

Can you tell us where you are? I know I would like to come and visit your store. Do you have things like lamps and vases and books and accessories? I have a new house and I need things like that.

Kind regards,
Gracie
Old 11-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Location: East Alton, IL (near St. Louis, Mo), Duval, St. James and hopefully lastly Collier
Default Has anyone noticed...

There were four replies from TVV before New2U wrote her side of the story. Think it's a coincidence she got real quiet?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Gold member

Thanks Smokie for giving us your side of story. Didn't know about your store til this thread started but now will be sure to find it and stop in so I can judge for myself.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:10 PM

Guess what struck me the most is when you are selling 2nd hand clothes and everyone knows they are used and no refunds...people on this thread saying there should be a refund ????
Any consignment anything (antiques or anything) has a no refund policy. You know these products are used. You know there is no refund. If you want new with a chance for a refund-go to a regular store.
Said it before and I will say it again. These people are real sweethearts. So sorry such sweet people had to be treated to this. Worked with them before and will work with them again.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Thank you for taking the time to post your side of the story. Something tells me there's some truth on both sides. I really can't imagine why OP would change the price of the shoes. As I said, I know her personally and I just can't imagine her making a mistake like that. I find it hard to believe that she would come in and immediately be belligerent -- just doesn't sound like the lady I know. I can, however, believe that someone might feel that another is being antagonistic because of accents, body language, etc.

So, this may well be a case of buyer beware and is definitely one whee we will all have to decide for ourselves. I'm not taking sides -- I don't shop in consignment stores (don't like them, never have). I do believe the reality lies somewhere between the original post and New 2 You's reply, as is usually the case when two people disagree.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-12-2011, 03:08 AM
Gold member

When you felt the shoes were not up to par to then accepted putting them back on the shelf for sale to someone else:

You partnered with the store at that time.

I see you are worried about your $36 and not the store and not the next buyer of the shoes.

I go with the customer 99 percent of the time, but in this case, I have to side with the store.

People consign for two reasons:

1. They no longer want the item
2. The item is no longer functional

Hence; buyer beware. You cannot expect the store to guarantee consignments.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:11 AM

It is too bad that the store is so desparate. Struggling is hard but their attitudes are making it worse for them. I would never return.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:24 AM
BOMBERO
Default Sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartonjelly View Post
It is too bad that the store is so desparate. Struggling is hard but their attitudes are making it worse for them. I would never return.
I have to ask. Have you been there the FIRST TIME? In order for you to return you had to be there before. Just asking , please don't get mad. I figure if you live near Cincinnati, maybe you have not been there. There is a "pack" mentality on this site and people like to pile on. IMHO. Jusy asking.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:33 AM
BOMBERO
Default Imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Thank you for taking the time to post your side of the story. Something tells me there's some truth on both sides. I really can't imagine why OP would change the price of the shoes. As I said, I know her personally and I just can't imagine her making a mistake like that. I find it hard to believe that she would come in and immediately be belligerent -- just doesn't sound like the lady I know. I can, however, believe that someone might feel that another is being antagonistic because of accents, body language, etc.

So, this may well be a case of buyer beware and is definitely one whee we will all have to decide for ourselves. I'm not taking sides -- I don't shop in consignment stores (don't like them, never have). I do believe the reality lies somewhere between the original post and New 2 You's reply, as is usually the case when two people disagree.
(I like that... type in IMHO and it makes everything O.K. with the regulars.)

Red, you kind-a took sides in post #10 AND#14........IMHO

Last edited by BOMBERO; 11-12-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: I M H O
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.