New Lamp Post, Front yard

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Default New Lamp Post, Front yard

Would like to replace the entire lamp post in the front yard. Any suggestions please regarding:
1) Which one to buy (and where at) that will enable putting the little sign that lights at night on the side that shows name of home owners, plus the main bulb to have a sensor to light at night.
2) Any suggestions regarding a contractor that could remove the old and replace with the new?

Thank you very much
Old 06-21-2017, 08:38 AM
Sage

Check with ARC first.......
Old 06-22-2017, 06:48 AM

Replacing our with the same thing...call Pikes
Old 06-22-2017, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

You should not need to replace the lamp post for the lighted address sign. Many of our neighbors have added the lighted signs without replacing the post. The companies either provide a solar powered sign, or one that plugs in and they add a socket at the post. Do a search there are a few companies that provide the lighted address signs, and ask them what is required.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:26 PM
KittyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You should not need to replace the lamp post for the lighted address sign. Many of our neighbors have added the lighted signs without replacing the post. The companies either provide a solar powered sign, or one that plugs in and they add a socket at the post. Do a search there are a few companies that provide the lighted address signs, and ask them what is required.
Hope this helps.
I was driving around killing time while our house was being shown and I saw an electrician (don't remember the name on the van) adding some type of receptacle to the lamp post. I assumed the owners were going to add one of those signs.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:15 PM
Sage

Lighted post sign = tacky nasty yuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2017, 04:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

You can create your own receptacle in the lamp post glass enclosure with two items from Home Depot for about 5 dollars. You need a candelabra-to-regular socket adapter, and a screw-in receptacle. No tools required, but you will lose one of your three light sockets.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Lighted post sign = tacky nasty yuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are many lighted signs throughout The Villages in beautiful taste. In fact I can't recall any that are overdone or stand out offensively. Ours isn't lighted and we have admired many nicely lighted name signs.

Please don't try to be the world's authority on everything. That is my job.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

On a somewhat related topic, make sure when adding an electrical outlet to your post, that it's GFCI. A local electrical supply shop (as well as online sources) sells a receptacle that's curved to fit snugly on the pole. Those receptacles ARE NOT GFCI protected, and should not be installed, in my opinion. I installed an appropriate receptacle box on my light post. It's easy to do if you're comfortable doing this type of work. You will also have an option of having the receptacle being always "hot", or having it dusk to dawn, like your lamp post light. This is accomplished by wiring it before or after the photocell. If you go the route of installing the curved non-GFCI receptacle, my recommendation would be to replace the existing breaker with a GFCI breaker. In full disclosure, I'm not an electrician.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
On a somewhat related topic, make sure when adding an electrical outlet to your post, that it's GFCI. A local electrical supply shop (as well as online sources) sells a receptacle that's curved to fit snugly on the pole. Those receptacles ARE NOT GFCI protected, and should not be installed, in my opinion. I installed an appropriate receptacle box on my light post. It's easy to do if you're comfortable doing this type of work. You will also have an option of having the receptacle being always "hot", or having it dusk to dawn, like your lamp post light. This is accomplished by wiring it before or after the photocell. If you go the route of installing the curved non-GFCI receptacle, my recommendation would be to replace the existing breaker with a GFCI breaker. In full disclosure, I'm not an electrician.
My lamp post light is already wired to a circuit in the garage that has a gfci device on one of the receptacles in the garage. I believe that is the way the new houses are being constructed. So, anything you connect to the lamp post wiring will be protected.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My lamp post light is already wired to a circuit in the garage that has a gfci device on one of the receptacles in the garage. I believe that is the way the new houses are being constructed. So, anything you connect to the lamp post wiring will be protected.
Im not aware of that scenario. It would be good if it was. On my home, built late 2013, the Post Light is on its own 15amp circuit, non-GFCI. Another important feature for a post receptacle is an In Use Weatherproof Cover.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Im not aware of that scenario. It would be good if it was. On my home, built late 2013, the Post Light is on its own 15amp circuit, non-GFCI. Another important feature for a post receptacle is an In Use Weatherproof Cover.
I know that the courtyard villas south of 466a have a wall receptacle in the garage that has a gfci device with a push button reset, and the same circuit feeds the lamp post. Unless you are certain, you may want to check your garage wall receptacles. If you don't have the same arrangement, you have an unprotected lamp post, regardless of whether or not you install a receptacle on the post, unless you add some type of gfci device on that circuit. So, a short in the wiring to the lamp could cause a safety problem, even without a receptacle.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I know that the courtyard villas south of 466a have a wall receptacle in the garage that has a gfci device with a push button reset, and the same circuit feeds the lamp post. Unless you are certain, you may want to check your garage wall receptacles. If you don't have the same arrangement, you have an unprotected lamp post, regardless of whether or not you install a receptacle on the post, unless you add some type of gfci device on that circuit. So, a short in the wiring to the lamp could cause a safety problem, even without a receptacle.
I live south of 466A (Lake Deaton). The lamp posts in this area have a dedicated, non GFCI breaker. This circuit has nothing to do with the garage outlets, and only controls the lamp post. The garage outlets are on GFCI's, in fact the breaker panel labels indicate this fact. The receptacle box I installed on the lamp post is an outdoor rated box, and GFCI receptacle. In addition, I also installed an In-Use cover. For those not familiar, a quick Google search will show it. I don't have an unprotected circuit, hence the GFCI receptacle I placed on the post. Bottom line, is that if you do it yourself make darn sure you know what you're doing. In the case of a few neighbors who had another neighbor install a non- GFCI receptacle on their posts to save a few bucks on an electrician, hopefully they'll never be plugging in holiday lights, or a vacuum in a wet weather or other situation which could cause a shock.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Check the circuit breaker, it maybe a GFCI breaker, our house built in 2013 has the post lamp connected to one of the circuits in the garage that are on GFCI receptacles. I also know that several of the neighbors are the same.
It my understanding that this (GFCI) is a requirement for ALL outdoor, garage, or receptacles located near water. If yours is not wired this way, call home warranty, and have it fixed.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Check the circuit breaker, it maybe a GFCI breaker, our house built in 2013 has the post lamp connected to one of the circuits in the garage that are on GFCI receptacles. I also know that several of the neighbors are the same.
It my understanding that this (GFCI) is a requirement for ALL outdoor, garage, or receptacles located near water. If yours is not wired this way, call home warranty, and have it fixed.
NEC requires outdoor and garage receptacles be GFCI protected. A lamp post without a receptacle (like those installed here in TV) doesn't need do be on a GFCI. If you installed a receptacle, make sure it is a GfCI.
Closed Thread

Tags
suggestions, night, replace, post, lamp

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.