No Oil Changes Here!!!!! (ever again)

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
I am not currently in TV but in Hawaii you can just put it in one of the boxes you can buy for a dollar or two and throw it in the trash. All thrash here is burned to generate electricity. I have not changed oil in TV yet but if you cannot throw the boxes in the trash there should be a recycle program. Any back yard mechanics in TV know the local answer?
I put my used oil in a 2 1/2 gal gas can and take it to Advantage Auto where they have a disposal tank. I only have to do it every other change since it takes two changes to fill the gas can.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Veteran member

I change my own oil on all my vehicles. I have a Ford diesel that takes 15 qts. I take my used oil to the Lady Lake dump on Rolling Acres which is open only Tues. and Sat.

I recently checked out the Sumter county dump, it's on I-75, the 470 exit just east. You can also dispose oil there for free.

Back in '88, I bought a brand new Camry and it came with 3 free oil changes. I marked the oil filter to see if they would change it. They didn't. Told and showed the service mgr. the original filter with my mark. He offered me a years free oil changes. I never went back.

Seems like whenever I have someone else change my oil, they always overfill it. You want something done right.....DIY!!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:37 AM

THANK YOU for this post! I am new to the area and am looking for a good place for my next oil change. Being female, I dread these errands as I know how we get treated at some places. It is good to know which ones to avoid! Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain1202 View Post
I went to the Havoline oil change place on 441 just north of Baylee Plaza for an oil and filter change today. I have used the place several times before when it was Texaco Express Lube with no incident. Very good service in fact.

Today was a different story. The place appears to be under new management. The attendant checked me in and I clearly stated that I wanted and oil and filter change ONLY. The car was taken into the bay and the service commenced. Shortly thereafter another fellow came in to the waiting room for the "upsell", which, of course, I expected.

He asked of the car had been laid up for a while because the air filter and serpentine belt were "really bad" and the two front directionals weren't working either. In addition the rear differential was badly in need of service.

I agreed to the differential service because I knew it had not been done for the 60,000 miles I put on the car and in fact may have never been done in the life of the car. The rest of the stuff I put on hold for my regular service people to look at.

A woman came in to the office and she could check me out while they were finishing the car. I went to the counter and she presented me a with a bill for $92.00!!!!!

Keeping in mind I went in for a $23 oil change I was quite taken aback. When I questioned her she said the differential service was $59.95!!!! The service amounted to to removing the drain plug, dropping less than a gallon or so of gear oil, replacing the plug and re-filling the oil.

I admit, I did not ask the price when the guy suggested it, but I had maybe an additional $10 or $15 in the back of my mind. MY BAD for not asking!!

In view of that fact, I agreed to pay the bill, but I told her I would never, ever even think about coming back. Furthermore, I would tell everyone I knew, including the TOTV viewers about this experience.

When I got home I checked the following items on the car:
1) Blinkers - both OK
2) Air Filter - barely dusty
3) Serpentine belt - fine
So that was all B.S. The funny thing is, the one thing that obviously needed replacing, my wiper blades, were never mentioned.

Anyway, I post this note so that some unsuspecting person pulling in to this establishment will not have the same experience I did. I'm particularly concerned about someone not in tune with the car, i.e. my wife, getting duped by these clowns. It's hard enough to find good service people without having deal with places like this.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Platinum member

Some states have laws that require service stations to accept customer's used oil. Also I think the station gets a few $$ per gallon recycled.

I do my own changes too. Years ago the attendant forgot to put the filler cap back. I lost it on the road somewhere after it hit the fan blade. Then the manager said "it can't be our fault". Wrote to the home office and never got a response.

Never went to an oil change station since then.

Skip
Old 05-25-2013, 01:23 PM

Walmart on 466 is the best for oil changes!!
Old 05-25-2013, 03:26 PM

I agree with Wildwood Tire.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Default no, no Walmart

An oil change is an oil change, go to Walmart while you shop..so easy. We went for an oil change at Wallie World, they said we needed a new battery..ok go ahead. After a long time, my husband saw a bunch of guys standing around our car..not a good sign. Seems they not only put in the wrong battery, they hooked it up backwards. Long story short, it fried all the electrical boards, $3000 later, which they paid, we traded in our poor car not knowing what the future held. We did however, let the dealer know what had happened. Walmart for service...I don't thing so
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.