Oil change / auto mechanic

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2020, 12:39 PM

Wildwood Tire on Rt 44 (at 301) - family owned. Honest work, reasonable prices.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:07 PM

Quality Tire near the corner of 466 and 441/27. The place looks dumpy but they live up the name on their sign
Old 12-28-2020, 03:33 PM
Default One Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1996 View Post
Cheep and good do not usually go together. I can say this from my own experience
Yup, I've heard that some outfits use recycled oil which might be a bit iffy.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:43 PM

The BEST family run auto mechanic in the villages. Hilton Automotive 441 and hwy 42.gkain1964@yahoo.com
Old 12-28-2020, 05:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisbwp View Post
Where did you have your oil changed where tou come from?
I buy two cars every 2 tears, except this year. Toyota tacoma needs oil change every 10,000 miles, toyota Rav 4 every 4,000 miles. I gi to dealer.
Don’t know who you’re exactly talking to but myself I take mine to Ford garage & they always have an oil change deal for $40. & they use Synthetic Blend.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:48 PM
Default Best honesty Auto work: Sumter Tire in Wildwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageNewbie4 View Post
Would appreciate recommendations on two auto questions.

1) reliable oil change location

2) trustworthy, reliable reasonably priced auto mechanic

Thanks
If you can screen for recommendations, you will see Sumter Tire & Auto, 2 locations in Wildwood is highly regarded for oil changes or tires or pretty much anything auto related repairs or services. They have been operating for years, totally honest and reliable. I resisted taking my car there for a few years but once I realized so many recommendations could not be wrong, I saw for myself how honest and service -oriented they were, even diagnosing problems without charge that anywhere else would not have done for free.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
You didn't mention the make of your vehicle. We own a Toyota, and always have the oil changes done at the Toyota dealer. The cost of the oil change is probably a little higher at the dealer, but the oil change only needs to be done once year, so a slightly higher cost is insignificant. The reason to get the oil change done at the dealer is the free multipoint inspection that is included with the oil change. Sometimes, other problems are discovered that need attention. I think its better to properly maintain your vehicle to increase your vehicle's reliability. If your vehicle isn't relable, you're walking.
There Few dealers that are rip-off artists, pushing stuff you don’t need, if you don’t know no better, then they ripped you off. no guarantee their mechanics are doing it right, they don’t own the company, so there name not on the line.

I have experienced the worse routine maintenance at dealer’s, can’t even put proper amount of engine oil or transmission fluid in. And couple dealers that was real good when I followed up on their work. You better be pulling dip stick after their work to verily you got what you paid for. I can see if vehicle still under warranty, removed their excuses on warranty work.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:42 AM

When in my 20's I learned to do my own maintenance since I could no afford the professionals.

My situation changed and went to the quick oil change services which lead to issues. Loose drain plug, grease and oil on drivers seat with oil/grease left on steering and dash. Then tried the dealership. Not much better, sporadic quality.

I installed a lift in my commercial building and went back to doing my own auto maintenance. Moved to The Villages and now change the oil in my garage. Have not rotated tires, but when needed I will do that myself also.

High school dropouts won't touch my cars and I enjoy doing the work myself.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWR View Post
When in my 20's I learned to do my own maintenance since I could no afford the professionals.

My situation changed and went to the quick oil change services which lead to issues. Loose drain plug, grease and oil on drivers seat with oil/grease left on steering and dash. Then tried the dealership. Not much better, sporadic quality.

I installed a lift in my commercial building and went back to doing my own auto maintenance. Moved to The Villages and now change the oil in my garage. Have not rotated tires, but when needed I will do that myself also.

High school dropouts won't touch my cars and I enjoy doing the work myself.
I agree, except Very few high school drops out get skilled labor job especially when got to be certified?
Old 12-29-2020, 04:22 PM
Platinum member

For oil changes, check out the dealers. In my experience they will do an oil change for reasonable rates, but will try to convince you to do other probably un necessary maintenance work.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1996 View Post
Cheep and good do not usually go together. I can say this from my own experience
Cheap and good is better than expensive and bad, which also happens.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:01 AM

For many years I have bought cars above the average medium price dealing with the general manager at several dealerships. Included with many of these deals are free lifetime oil changes. I joke with them saying you might as well knock a few more hundred dollars off because you know I won't be using that service.

Changing your own oil is not difficult and only requires some basic tools. By the time I check a "professional" mechanics work and thoroughly clean up after them it's close to the time I spend doing the work myself. Plus I have a piece of mind.

For nearly 30 years I exclusively use Mobil 1. A dealership's "free" oil change does not typically include a synthetic oil.
Closed Thread

Tags
auto, oil, reliable, mechanic, change

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.