Outdoor Outlet not Working

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2017, 05:12 AM

I had the same problem the day after the hurricane, and went crazy checking everything. I had the electrical plan for the house and finally decided that I should try replacing the outlet. Picked up a new one at Ace, replaced it, and solved the problem. It worked for me, may work for you.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom53 View Post
I had the same problem the day after the hurricane, and went crazy checking everything. I had the electrical plan for the house and finally decided that I should try replacing the outlet. Picked up a new one at Ace, replaced it, and solved the problem. It worked for me, may work for you.
Definately take the plates off and check the power coming into the outlets, 1st dead outlet, then do the gfi switched outlets.

Last edited by Allegiance; 12-12-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

Our home came with an electrical wiring schismatic. Showed outlets that were controlled by which Specific GFI. You might have the same plan somewhere.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,158 Times in 2,252 Posts

OP,
There can be multiple GFCI's in the garage, we have 3, check all of them, press the RESET button, if you hear a click, that is the one that was tripped.
There was a report about a house that had a GFCI by the A/C unit, and THAT one was also used for another outside receptacle.
There are some houses with GFCI circuit breakers, check these, turn fully off, then back to the on position.
As for the electrical wiring diagram, if your house is in Sumter County, you can go to the Goverment office (copper topped building) in Pinellas Plaza, and go to the building department, it should be on file.
As noted above, also check the bathroom and kitchen GFCIs, just in case the problem receptacle was tapped off one of these.
Also, you can go around the house with a lamp or circuit tester, and see if other receptacles are not working, this may help you figure out where the problem is.
Finally, is your lamp post light working? A neighbor had the wiring fail on theirs, which caused several other problems.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:44 PM

Here is contact information for a Villager certified electrician and the endorsement written about him on Next Door Neighborhood site—- John Fedyszyn hung our new chandelier, which turned out beautifully. It was a complex installation, and John tackled it with complete perfection. He answered our call and set up an appointment promptly. He arrived on time and went right to work, completing the task beyond expectations. This was not a simple task, but John took the challenge and we are extremely pleased. He also perfectly installed a second chandelier in our kitchen area.He identified and repaired several "switch" problems. No job is too big or too small for John. He was prompt, courteous, extremely knowledgeable and resourceful. He was neat and clean, and even helped arrange the furniture when job was completed. We highly recommend him, and wouldn't consider hiring anyone else ! (PS His reasonable price is a welcome bonus ) Contact number is 716-680-2659
Old 12-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I found a GFCI outlet in the garage behind my workbench and it was off. I remembered that the light on my workbench did work last time I went to do something on it. I had to pull the workbench out to get at it, but hopefully the Christmas spirit will be back on display tonight.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I found a GFCI outlet in the garage behind my workbench and it was off. I remembered that the light on my workbench did work last time I went to do something on it. I had to pull the workbench out to get at it, but hopefully the Christmas spirit will be back on display tonight.
Congratulations! I don't know why, it's always in the last place you look.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Glad you got it figured out..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-12-2017, 04:58 PM

Ah, the dreaded outlet hidden back behind something big, heavy, hard to move for any number of reasons. I have the "tripped" GFI issue every time we get the house exterior power washed and after hurricanes. After a couple of "trips" following routine rain, I opened up all the outside outlets that were down-stream from the master GFI receptacle with those two buttons and found a couple of them had a lot of corrosion and bug detritus around the wire attachment screws. I replaced those receptacles with new ones (and brightened the wire ends) and replaced the outlet's rubber water seal - still have an occasional problem (primarily the pressure washer) but nowhere near the number of problems in the past.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Glad you got it figured out..

Well, I figured it out, but every time I reset the GFI it shuts off. I tried unplugging everything and resetting it and then plugging it back in and that doesn't work.

I wonder if it's the outside receptacle of the inside GFI receptacle. I think I might call an electrician. I don't know if I want to fool around with them myself.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Well, I figured it out, but every time I reset the GFI it shuts off. I tried unplugging everything and resetting it and then plugging it back in and that doesn't work.

I wonder if it's the outside receptacle of the inside GFI receptacle. I think I might call an electrician. I don't know if I want to fool around with them myself.
You might have water in one of your outside outlets or light fixtures that is causing a short. If you're not comfortable changing outlets or fixtures an electrician might not be a bad idea.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Closed Thread

Tags
outlet, checked, breakers, garage, turn

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.