Air Conditioning Visit

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Gold member
Question Air Conditioning Visit

Today I got a call from a company called Air Force 1 offering a checkup of my home air conditioning for $49 which I accepted. Previously I had my AC checked by All American Air & Electric. From my experience here these offers NEVER cost what they advertise as they always find something that requires more service or more parts. The last time my AC was checked they told me that there was mildew in the coils and they showed it to me. They installed an ultraviolet light that would mitigate the mildew. I believe that cost around $1000. The guy that came today told me that there was still some mildew there but that he recommended that I have a 5" medea filter and an air purifier that would mitigate the dust and dirt that is not being caught by my unit now. He told me that the air would be much fresher and it would smell like Oxygen 3 which is nascent oxygen that you smell when it starts to rain.
He also showed dust in the returns which he said I would not have in the future as the air purifier would take care of that.

In any case I was perfectly happy with my AC but decided after he had offered a $400 discount if I would be used as a referral. In any case I told him I would do it but really didn't know any of the nuts and bolts of the system. I asked him how long it would take to install the system and he said about 4 hours which sounded good to me.

I don't know whether I will notice any difference with the quality of the air that is pushed by the AC but hope I do notice a difference.

When I first got to TV I was sold a home water filtering system that cost around $5000. I will say that my home water tastes pretty good but always felt that that was one time where I got taken. This may be another time.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 06-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

The $49 AC check up is like the $19 oil change. It is a scam to sell you more stuff you don't need. I never take any of them or have my AC "tuned up" and it still works fine. And at some point it will die and I will replace it. I only change the air filter twice a year, pour vinegar and water down the drain pipe twice a year, and on one I have to lube the fan motor. 20 minutes twice a year. Some of these things may be a benefit and some are not. I play it safe and take none. Having your AC ducts cleaned every four or five years may be a good investment. Especially if your not religious about changing the air filter twice a year. Most are scams to sell you high priced low value things when they are not busy with service calls.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
The $49 AC check up is like the $19 oil change. It is a scam to sell you more stuff you don't need. I never take any of them or have my AC "tuned up" and it still works fine. And at some point it will die and I will replace it. I only change the air filter twice a year, pour vinegar and water down the drain pipe twice a year, and on one I have to lube the fan motor. 20 minutes twice a year. Some of these things may be a benefit and some are not. I play it safe and take none. Having your AC ducts cleaned every four or five years may be a good investment. Especially if your not religious about changing the air filter twice a year. Most are scams to sell you high priced low value things when they are not busy with service calls.
I agree. Been living in Florida since 1953 and never had a yearly service on my A/C. I change my air filter when needed, every month or once a year on my new home here. Pour hot water thru the drain and enjoy the cool air. If something goes wrong it's usually a relay or something that is totally unrelated to yearly checkups. These A/C companies are trying to generate revenue like car dealers using scare tactics. If it works, don't fix it.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Both of the above are correct - a loss leader "tune up" service to get into your A/C unit to "upsell" you. Check out any company before you do business with them. In the case of Air Force 1 A/C out of Port Richey, the BBB shows nine complaints on file while the Division of Consumer Services of the Dept. of Agriculture for the State of Florida shows 16 complaints. You can also call both local offices of Seniors Vs Crime to see if they have complaints.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:14 PM

When your AC goes wrong or you need a tune up most of the big AC companies send out a sales person. When you insist on having it repaired then they will then call out the repair person. I use Greg Theorides - he's an independent AC repairman - when our AC quit last year he came out and installed a new dual capacitor for $100 - checked the gas and other stuff while he was at it - 20 minutes no nonsense. Allan.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:53 PM

Since return air ducts are usually before before the filter (which is the case when your air filter is at the air handler or furnace) you will almost always have dust in the return duct. This dust will not be able to get back into your airflow as the filter should catch it, so don't be scammed about dust in the return air ducts. Some systems have the air filter right at the return grill and in this case should prevent most of the dust from entering the duct.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.