Phone Call Returns

Closed Thread
Old 11-09-2022, 07:29 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In the past week or so, I have called a few businesses and got a voicemail to leave a message and phone number. But the business never called me back or even texted me. Last year, I fired a landscaper I had for several years because they would never return my calls. I have owned a few businesses in the past, and I would never fail to return a call. I don't get it. Is this some kind of business strategy that actually works for some businesses? Any thoughts?
Back when I ordered from catalogs by phone, Lands End and L.L. Bean answered phones quickly, even for returns. The people answering sounded like my best friends, spoke proper English, and knew what they were talking about. There are still companies that do that pretty well. More often, you try to call a doctor’s office and get a hospital system and bounce around trying to find a person. A few days ago, after twenty minutes of trying to do that, I reached a real person, but she wasn’t from the doctor’s office. She took a message and passed it on. A few hours later I got a call from a nurse’s aid at the doctor’s office. I know more about the surgery than she did. I never did reach the doctor’s P.A., who might have had an answer.

A couple days ago I needed to speak to a real person at the Lady Lake Post Office. After twenty minutes on the phone, without success, I gave up.

Last year a salesman at the Verizon store was trying to set up my new phone. His own company put him on hold for forty minutes while we sat there! How much money are these companies saving with these phone systems? Not hiring someone to answer cost them a lot of money in someone else’s salary they are paying.

If I get put on hold, often I’m so furious after the wait that I have to rant and sputter when the phone is answered before I calm down and apologize. It’s hard on the people answering phones to constantly face angry customers. Seems to me that these companies are making poor business choices.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
It is easier to ignore you than to say:

- We're so busy now we don't need your business

- We can earn our money from less 'demanding' customers

- We are so established that whatever bad will we get by ignoring you it will not matter

Feel free to add to this list.
Good list.

"... less 'demanding' customers ..." - Love it.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:51 AM

I realize this really isn't an option for a lot of situations, but I have pretty much given up on calling. Whenever possible, I walk in, meet the people, and speak to them kindly. Staff is so tired of being beat up on the phone, they gladly spend extra time to interact with me.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
In the past week or so, I have called a few businesses and got a voicemail to leave a message and phone number. But the business never called me back or even texted me. Last year, I fired a landscaper I had for several years because they would never return my calls. I have owned a few businesses in the past, and I would never fail to return a call. I don't get it. Is this some kind of business strategy that actually works for some businesses? Any thoughts?
It could be they use AT&T as phone carrier. AT&T has had bad service and it has been getting worse, especially as snowbirds return. The company lacks capacity. Voicemail messages are not made available for 30 minutes to three hours some days. Or, the business you called has too many customers, and no longer needs your business.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If they ask a potential customer to call & they don’t call you right back you better stay away from them!
Old 11-09-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I guess this is a sign of the times. It's the norm for a lot of businesses these days. Many years ago my husband and I had a little rental property in SE FL. At one time we rented it out quickly. We must have had over 30 people call looking for a place to live. I took the time to call them all back to let them know the place was no longer available. It took a lot of time and I didn't want to do this, but it was the right thing to do. I've even called doctor's offices and had nobody return calls.
Closed Thread

Tags
businesses, phone, call, business, called

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.