Popcorn Ceiling Removal Recommendation

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Default Popcorn Ceiling Removal Recommendation

We have the bug to start remodeling our Lynnhaven home, beginning with removing the popcorn ceiling. I called a couple of folks based on ToTV postings from 2016 and 2017, and they're either no longer in business or they don't do that type of work anymore.

Any recommendations from recent work? Looking to get someone in the next 30 days.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerner View Post
We have the bug to start remodeling our Lynnhaven home, beginning with removing the popcorn ceiling. I called a couple of folks based on ToTV postings from 2016 and 2017, and they're either no longer in business or they don't do that type of work anymore.

Any recommendations from recent work? Looking to get someone in the next 30 days.

Those ceilings drove us to buy a new home. We had lived right next to you in Belvedere. At the time in 2016 we were going with Rick Bassil *+1 (352) 274-2396‬.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2018, 05:17 AM

Another vote for Rick Bassil *+1 (352) 274-2396‬. We stayed in a motel for 3 days while they removed and replaced the ceiling popcorn with knock down, everywhere but the closets. Outstanding job! No mess after, as they covered all, moved the furniture, etc. We stowed small items in the garage while they worked.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:40 AM
Default Popcorn Ceiling Removel Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfarr View Post
Another vote for Rick Bassil *+1 (352) 274-2396‬. We stayed in a motel for 3 days while they removed and replaced the ceiling popcorn with knock down, everywhere but the closets. Outstanding job! No mess after, as they covered all, moved the furniture, etc. We stowed small items in the garage while they worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuctba View Post
Those ceilings drove us to buy a new home. We had lived right next to you in Belvedere. At the time in 2016 we were going with Rick Bassil *+1 (352) 274-2396‬.

Funny you should both mention Rick. He was our first call yesterday morning based on prior posts here on ToTV. Found out he's retired. Good for him/not so good for us. However, he did give us the name and number of one of the guys who used to work for him. We have an appointment to meet with him today.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuctba View Post
You bought a new home...just because of the ceilings?

If I might ask, what was it about them...that made you take such drastic action?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

If I might ask, what was it about them...that made you take such drastic action?
I’d be curious to know to, we have laminate and tile floors,
and in my opinion the textured (so called Popcorn) ceilings reduce noise levels in our home!
Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:

That was only part of it but a big part. The cost plus moving out of the house just seemed like a pain in the ass. Those ceilings are so ugly. We ended up buying new for less then we sold for in Belvedere. That was going from a Wisteria to a Jasmine. That’s the good news the new bond and higher taxes not so good. Yes it would have been far less costly to renovate. We love having a new home with updated baths, kitchen, AC and roof. Who knows someday we may be that person who moves 3 times.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
I’d be curious to know to, we have laminate and tile floors,
and in my opinion the textured (so called Popcorn) ceilings reduce noise levels in our home!

What is it that's so distasteful about popcorn ceilings? It never bothered me any (not that I spend a lot of time staring upward when at home), and I too suspect that it does somewhat reduce noise levels. What am I missing?
Old 05-08-2018, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
What is it that's so distasteful about popcorn ceilings? It never bothered me any (not that I spend a lot of time staring upward when at home), and I too suspect that it does somewhat reduce noise levels. What am I missing?
I personally don't think...you're missing anything.

Well, maybe some...

Old 05-08-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran member

Steve Kling painting did ours. It was part of painting the whole house, which was done before we moved in, along with replacing all the floors. When we moved it in looked like a new house.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:34 AM
Gold member

If you've ever watched Fixer Upper on HGTV, when Joanna Gaines explains what she would do with a house, she almost always starts with, "We'll remove the popcorn ceiling". Obviously she hates it. I kind of like it, and don't understand why other people don't. It seems like a nice texture to me.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:26 PM
Gold member

People see ONE person remark on HGTV say they don't like the look of popcorn ceilings. Next thing you know it starts up like wildfire. Our ceilings don't bother us at all. Just look at all those people who purchased stainless steel appliances. Now they have advanced to something much better that is smudge proof.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Default Popcorn Ceiling Removal Recommendation

I truly don't hate the popcorn ceiling. It's just gotten in the way several times. When putting items on the top shelf in the closet, I inadvertently knock the ceiling almost every time, and the popcorn starts to flake down. It's also difficult to paint next to the popcorn ceiling (admittedly I might just stink at that task). Now that we want the whole house painted, and are going for a different style, it'll just be easier to take the ceiling down.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerner View Post
Funny you should both mention Rick. He was our first call yesterday morning based on prior posts here on ToTV. Found out he's retired. Good for him/not so good for us. However, he did give us the name and number of one of the guys who used to work for him. We have an appointment to meet with him today.
After a few estimates, we have decided to go with Chris Cornellius. Chris used to work for Rick Bassile, whom many of you recommended. Rick is now retired.
Chris can be reached at 352-571-8516
Closed Thread

Tags
popcorn, work, ceiling, business, longer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.