Porcelain tiled garage floor?

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcallaway View Post
I was wondering if anyone here had their garage floor done in porcelain tiles. I know that this would be more expensive than epoxy coating, but I am thinking that it might be a better long-term investment for me. Thanks in advance to any that reply!
I have seen some good epoxy floors and I’ve seen some really badly done epoxy floors.
I have not gotten around to doing my garage floor yet but when I do I will be using tile from a place called RaceDeck. I used this type of plastic tile in my last garage and it looked great and very easy to clean, also not slippery when wet. These tiles from RaceDeck are nearly indestructible, no problem driving over them, dropping something on them or spilling anything on them. These tiles will last a very long time with next to no maintenance other than occasionally wet mopping them. Easy to install. Google RaceDeck garage and take a look at what they offer.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtjp View Post
I have seen some good epoxy floors and I’ve seen some really badly done epoxy floors.
I have not gotten around to doing my garage floor yet but when I do I will be using tile from a place called RaceDeck. I used this type of plastic tile in my last garage and it looked great and very easy to clean, also not slippery when wet. These tiles from RaceDeck are nearly indestructible, no problem driving over them, dropping something on them or spilling anything on them. These tiles will last a very long time with next to no maintenance other than occasionally wet mopping them. Easy to install. Google RaceDeck garage and take a look at what they offer.
Pros and cons on regular RaceDeck vs. RaceDeck FreeFlow?
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 09-14-2022, 08:50 AM

Is this a candid camera episode?
Old 09-14-2022, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

OMG!!! Porcelain tile on your garage floor.
If someone was going to do another hit job documentary on the coiffed detached from reality life in The Villages this thread would be a great snippet for the trailer.
Old 09-14-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone here had their garage floor done in porcelain tiles. I know that this would be more expensive than epoxy coating, but I am thinking that it might be a better long-term investment for me. Thanks in advance to any that reply!
Would the porcelain tile be able to withstand the weight of a vehicle or 2? I think it would not be a better long term investment, as the weights of vehicles driving and sitting on top of the tile and grout would eventually break it up. Concrete is much more durable. Now if you turn your garage into a game room with no vehicles, that’s another story!
Old 09-14-2022, 10:57 AM

Have had Chatahoocie Rock in my garage for 15 years and it still looks like new and is non slippery.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

If I was to finish off my garage floor, I would put in these tiles. Easy to put down, durable, multiple colors to make designs/borders.

Best Garage Floor Tiles for 2022 - CNET
Old 09-14-2022, 12:11 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Location: We are located in Summerfield FL and run from home based business (Until we find a Store Front.)
Default Garage floor

Quote:
Hello, Im John with Innovative Concrete Coatings. We are a better alternative to epoxy floor. Ill message you with more information. We have a 15 year warranty that our product will not peel or flake off your floor and a lifetime warranty against fading or discoloring from the suns UV light. Our coatings are slip resistant. If you use porcelain tile your floor will be slippery when it’s wet. You can call me at 352-913-1547. I’d love to schedule an appointment to come to your home to discuss your garage floor color selections and give you a free estimate

https://innovativeconcretecoatings.c...loor-coatings/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100083896917735
Old 09-14-2022, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Very expensive. You’d have to get a very, very good tile installer to avoid having voids in the mortar substrate under tiles which would almost certainly crack under the weight of cars, or even a golf cart. It simply doesn't have the strength or stain-resistance appropriate for a garage floor..
Old 09-14-2022, 08:12 PM

Check out NewAge Products stone composite luxury vinyl planks for garage floors. I installed it in my garage and have no regrets.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:06 AM

It IS a garage after all not the inside of your home. You clearly have too much money to burn
Old 09-15-2022, 08:01 AM

Tile will not crack if mortar is applied with a small notched trowel across the entire back side, No gaps. The weight per square inch for a car is much less than a person walking; especially a high heel. My biggest concern would be keeping the grout clean and sealed against water.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:24 AM

Slippery when wet. Very slippery. Reduces usability and resale value. Fragile if you have the right hobbies.
We had the floor painted and grip coated. It is still pretty slick when we zip through the garage with wet shoes. Thank goodness we were skiers and skaters. Outdoor rugs help a little.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:57 AM
Default Proper Tile, Proper Installation

Quote:
Tile will work fine and will be beautiful. You often see tile in high end auto showrooms and at entrances to expensive hotels and restaurants.

To prevent slipping when the tile is wet, you should consider using non-slip tile. This type is most often seen on the floor of a shower. You will also need a different grout to avoid stains from dirty water or oil dripping from your car or cart.

The trick is that the tile must be set in a solid base and lay flat on the concrete. Tile is most often set with "dabs" of mastic or quick-set mortar, perhaps a dab at each corner and one in the center. This is done as room will be left for the mastic or mortar to spread. It takes a lot of skill to set tile in a solid base. Too much mastic or mortar and it will squeeze up between the joints. Too little and there will be pockets or voids where the tile is unsupported. It is also harder for the installer to get the tiles level when set in a solid base.

If the tile is set in a sold base, it will not crack unless you drop a hammer, pipe wrench, or something of similar weight on the tile. Given that possibility, be certain to buy an extra box or two of the tile to make repairs.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:55 AM
Default Porcelain tile in garage

We had porcelain tile installed in a 4 car garage and had no trouble with it. We purchased tile at contractors price by the pallet. The cost was reasonable compared to other options considered

We used epoxy grout which I think is essential. One tiles broke on the edge when we rolled an extra heavy tool box over it .
Otherwise no other cracks or breakages over the 15 years in that house. I would not hesitate to use it again.
Closed Thread

Tags
porcelain, garage, floor, thinking, investment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.