Possible Leak in roof

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2016, 08:20 AM
Send a message via AIM to rjcataniajr
Default Possible Leak in roof

I need some help in finding a person/contractor who can find, which I believe is a leak in my roof. I have a light wet spot above my shower head (not from shower head) that just showed up after Tuesday's early morning downpour. I need to hear from people who have actually had this type of problem.
thank you for your response,
Russ
Old 02-17-2016, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I called Home Warranty and found out who installed the roof. Gave them a call and they found and repaired the leak.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Send a message via AIM to rjcataniajr

how long have you had your home? I have been in mine 12 years. Waiting to hear from the contractor (C&S) who installed roof. I have a 25 year warranty but don't know if leaks are covered.
thanks,
Russ
Old 02-17-2016, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We are going through this right now. After the torrential rain we had last week we noticed a small dark patch in our cathedral ceiling, right at the ridge. We called our insurance agent (Village Insurance), they sent out a claims adjuster who went onto the roof to check it out. He said there was a problem with the roof and he would get back to the insurance agency. Just today we had a call asking who built our home and he took this information back to the insurance agent! Our home is at least 9 years old.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-17-2016, 05:39 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Regarding roof leaks

This is from a neighbor who just had a roof leak. Apparently the roof warranty does not cover sealants that were applied around exhaust pipes etc. They were told that these sealants typically last around 10 years. They had to pay for their repair of those sealants.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:05 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Regarding roof leaks

This is from a neighbor who just had a roof leak. Apparently the roof warranty does not cover sealants that were applied around exhaust pipes etc. They were told that these sealants typically last around 10 years. They had to pay for their repair of those sealants.
Sounds fishy to me. Usually any sealants on roof vents are done before your shingles are installed. Any sealants put on afterwards are nothing but a temporary fix, kind of like putting a band aid on a cut that needs stitches.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:48 PM

All of the vent pipes have what are called boots. The squirrels and other animals love to chew on them. When we have a driving rain like we had the last couple weeks you may have water leakage coming in there. It is not covered by warranty unless you're within the first year of your warranty. You can call Sack Roofing or Scott Smith roofing who does a lot of the local roofs. Absolutely do not call your insurance agent until you have a roofer tell you that you need an entire roof replacement.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:37 AM
Email Reported As Spam

The roof leak could be a result of defective shingles, an improper installation, common wear tear, animals. If it is leaking the homeowner needs to know the extent of the damage which could be more extensive that what is seen with the naked eye.

You can expect many roof manufacturer's to balk at any claim you make.

I chased a roofing manufacturer from PA for two years and finally had to sue them to get them to honor their warranty. They had all sorts of gimmicks to ensure that they were trying to settle the problem but really hoping I would wear out. There rep climbed my roof and told me no defective shingles. I told him I hired an expert that stopped counting bad shingles after 300.
I told the rep my warranty was for 30 years and the shingles were 8 years old.
He replied it didn't matter because shingles only really last for 15 years and that most people move between 7-8 years and so the warranty really didn't matter. I told him the judge would be happy to receive that information

As to your insurance policy be sure you comply with the conditions of the policy so you do not waive any of your rights.
Closed Thread

Tags
head, shower, roof, leak, people, early, morning, downpour, hear, response, russ, type, tuesdays, problem, find, person/contractor, finding, light, showed, wet, spot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.