Privacy screening

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Veteran member
Default Privacy screening

We're considering privacy screening on the lanai. Does it help in cooling the lanai or make no difference? Any comments one way or another? Any suggestions for installers?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Privacy screening

I don't know what exactly you mean by privacy screening but if you were to put in the shaded "plexi-glass" type windows, it would definitely cool down your lanai. Take a walk around your neighborhood and see who has it and ask. I am sure your neighbors would not mind the question and would be happy to respond. We have not done it, we like the breeze and are in a courtyard villa so we have privacy but ranch homes and others have done it and it looks lovely and does cool off the lanai.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:15 PM

Our lanai faces south/west so it can get really hot sometimes. We had roll-up shades installed in a decorative fabric that filters out heat and light, but allows you to be able to see out. From the outside they provide plenty of privacy as well. Thye have cut the heat in the lanai significantly - even my plants are doing better with the filtered light. We worked with Sonia, the decorator consultant at Village Blind and Shutter - near Bargains and Treasures - 352-330-4004.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Platinum member

The end of my lanai faces west. I had Blinds4Le$$ install a very nice roll-down/up screen, which makes it bearable to sit out when the sun is beating down. Major objection is that I haven't yet figured out a good way to hold the screen in place, so, when it's windy, it doesn't flap all over!

A neighbor recently found some nice "lattice work" at Home Depot. Her son-in-law figured out how to install it permanently on the west-facing end of her lanai. I haven't personally assessed how it works in helping to cool things, but she is delighted with its ability to cut down on heat as well as glare as well as wind as well as "snoopy" neighbors!

SWR
Old 07-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

I've seen privacy screening (it's just smaller mesh, dark screen that creates some privacy) and all screening is pretty reasonably priced. There are other alternatives above.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:25 PM

this is a really informative article. thanks for sharing.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:39 PM

A villager names Ron Brunner makes a unique screen that works wonderfully. It comes in different colors and is meshed so that you do not get annoying waves through the screen which happens with some products.
You can see out of the screen but others cannot see in. Even at night with the light behind you only vague shadows are seen from outside.
He also has a guide wire system that is anchored to the concrete of the lanai and stops the screens from blowing in the wind.
You must call and have him show you before buying another product.
Number is (352) 430-4430.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

Thanks georgea. That sounds like what I'm looking for. Have seen this type of screening on garage doors and someone mentioned that they made something like this for lanais.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.