Recent mattress purchase

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2017, 07:15 AM
Veteran member
Default No more bad back!! Tuft and Needle is awesome!

For years both my wife and I searched for the perfect bed. I had issues with my lower back - always woke up stiff and sore, and she is a side sleeper and always had issues with her shoulder.

Over the past 10 years we have tried multiple beds - had a $3,000 sleep number bed, a $2,500 Tempurpedic, then tried a Casper (worked for me, but not my wife).

We finally purchased a Tuft and Needle mattress after reading all of the reviews - Fantastic is the word that comes to mind! No soreness in the morning for me, and my wife's shoulder no longer is sore. We have had it for over a year now, and it continues to be great. Even purchased a 2nd one for the guest room!

Pricing is very reasonable - Queen is $575 and King is $700. They deliver to your door, and have a 100 night return guarantee. It costs you nothing to try it.

We don't use a box spring - our bed has a solid bottom.

I don't work for them, and I get nothing for promoting their product - just letting you know it's very reasonable and worked for me!

Cheers!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Is it very firm? We are looking for a firm but comfy mattress.
Saatva gets good reviews on "Sleep like the dead".

They have 3 selections. 1 being the firmest. I have had both the 2 and 3. I like the 3 because it is a pillow top and its pretty firm for me. It is the only Mattress I have ever owned that has never sagged. My guests have commented that they had a great night's sleep when they stay over.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:18 AM

We've thought about writing a book on this - we've had 6 mattresses in 10 years. Got a regular, flat-top king mattress (not comfortable, too hard); Tempurpedic (no side support, hotter than ***, lumpy); traded that in for a Sterns & Foster (fabulous - should have kept it, the kids got it); Comfortaire Air Bed (continually leaked, never worked right, couldn't adjust it); Foam mattress (too soft, again no side support to sit on it); Sleep Number (HATED this one; never could get it right, the foam piece in the middle was lumpy/uncomfortable). Now we have a REALLY nice bed (but expensive) -Beautyrest Black Natasha Luxury Plush Pillow Top King-size Mattress Set - first time in years I haven't had a sore back when I wake up. It's pricey - but worth it. A friend bought a Casper, loved it - I didn't get that far because I was concerned about returning a bed bought online. However, Mattress Stores? Wow, I could go into great (rip-off) detail, they wouldn't sell my wife a mattress unless "I was with her to make the decision", blah blah blah. The mark-up is phenomenal, as well. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Based on all the responses it seems different models of the Beautyrest by Simmons wins. The problem comes when you try to replace or match a model. They continuously change the names. Mine was an NxG I think. But if you search for that, all you find is several different names. Mine is a king with a plush pillowtop which makes it about 18 inches thick. So when I replace this I am getting another Beautyrest King plush pillowtop that is the most expensive one I can afford at the time. I don't know how else to match the one I currently have. If I recall it was around $2000 when I bought it.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:12 AM

We bought a Jamison firm mattress at White furniture two years ago. Big mistake.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:16 AM
Sage

We have Flo Beds in our house. Ours is 7 years old and is as comfortable as the day we bought it. Bed arrives in boxes and you assemble. Not difficult. Not necessarily inexpensive, but having the ability to move the cores and change the firmness or softness is wonderful. (We have 4 cores on our bed, three on the guest bed.)

flobeds.com
Old 10-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
For years both my wife and I searched for the perfect bed. We finally purchased a Tuft and Needle mattress after reading all of the reviews - Fantastic is the word that comes to mind! No soreness in the morning for me, and my wife's shoulder no longer is sore.
Pricing is very reasonable, King is $700. They deliver to your door, and have a 100 night return guarantee.
We don't use a box spring - our bed has a solid bottom.
Thanks for the info on Tuft and Needle. Very interesting.
I want a bed that is quite firm, yet comfy.
On a scale from 1 to 10, (10 being very firm), how would you rate the Tuft and Needle mattress?
I would also want a solid bottom rather than a box spring. Did you get your solid base from T & N ?
Lastly, did you buy your bed from Amazon.com or directly from T & N?
Old 10-24-2017, 12:57 PM
Veteran member

bought temper-pedic, love it! Firm,might add pillow top for cushin.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
bought temper-pedic, love it! Firm,might add pillow top for cushin.
Has anybody had experience with a memory foam mattress topper? We're happy with the condition and support of our mattress but would like a little bit of cushioning on top to spread out the pressure points. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
Has anybody had experience with a memory foam mattress topper? We're happy with the condition and support of our mattress but would like a little bit of cushioning on top to spread out the pressure points. Thanks.
I have put a topper on a firm mattress before and it has not worked out. What happened is you lose the firmness factor. What I have found works better is a thicker mattress pad. I have recently purchased an extra firm mattress and found it was a little too firm and put on the thick mattress pad and it is perfect. No sinking in.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I have put a topper on a firm mattress before and it has not worked out. What happened is you lose the firmness factor. What I have found works better is a thicker mattress pad. I have recently purchased an extra firm mattress and found it was a little too firm and put on the thick mattress pad and it is perfect. No sinking in.
We had the opposite experience of jnieman.
We put a topper on an overly firm mattress, and it made it wonderful.
We had to experiment with the size from 1/2 inches to 3 inches.
For us, the 1 1/2 inches was perfect, with gel beads for cooling.
Each to his own.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:03 AM

I think mattress stores are a scam. High commissions and overhead. We went on line at Costco (Sam's has them too) and purchased a high quality layered foam mattress for around $750. It was delivered free, and with a little help we got it up on the frame, cut the packaging and bing, bam boom we have the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on. Costco will take it back if you are not completely satisfied too. Just do your research and read the reviews.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
We had the opposite experience of jnieman.
We put a topper on an overly firm mattress, and it made it wonderful.
We had to experiment with the size from 1/2 inches to 3 inches.
For us, the 1 1/2 inches was perfect, with gel beads for cooling.
Each to his own.
I didn't realize they made toppers only 1/2 inch - 1 1/2 inches deep. That probably wouldn't sink like 3 inch deep one I had. Because of the bad back i still needed the support and once I added the topper the support wasn't there and I sunk in too far. Only adding 1 1/2 inch you should still be able to feel the firmness.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Veteran member
Default Tuft & Needle answers

Quote:
Thanks for the info on Tuft and Needle. Very interesting.
I want a bed that is quite firm, yet comfy.
On a scale from 1 to 10, (10 being very firm), how would you rate the Tuft and Needle mattress?
I would also want a solid bottom rather than a box spring. Did you get your solid base from T & N ?
Lastly, did you buy your bed from Amazon.com or directly from T & N?
I would say the T&N mattress is around a 7-8 on firmness. Feels very solid, yet I don't sink in too far.

My bed had a solid bottom frame already, so we just put it on that.

You want to get it directly from T&N. T&N is the same price as Amazon, and you only get the 100 day return policy when purchasing directly from T&N. I think Amazon is either 30 or 60 days.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:18 PM
Platinum member

Has anyone purchased a king mattress that is split and inclines for reading etc.?

Tags
mattress, purchased, baseboard, store, brand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.