Recommendation for Attic Fan Installation

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Default Recommendation for Attic Fan Installation

We just closed on our CYV yesterday and would like to have an attic fan installed. Would appreciate recommendations. Thank you.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

Tim the Toolman was great for us. Put that name in the search box at the top and you will see recommendations and a phone number
Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Gold member
Default Reflective Radiant Heat Barrier

I'm gonna get beat up on this but while fans are Ok consider the reflective Radiant heat barrier. If done you will not need any fans Solar or Electric

Abshire insulation who does some of TV insulation can demonstrate and give you a quote.

They are scheduled for our new home in February,

http://www.secoenergy.com/radiant.html
Old 01-19-2012, 05:52 AM

Thank you Skyc6 and Carguys. Appreciate the info and will check out the radiant heat thingies. Or let my bitter half do so.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2AFRetSNCOs View Post
Thank you Skyc6 and Carguys. Appreciate the info and will check out the radiant heat thingies. Or let my bitter half do so.
Some folks really live close to the edge, see bold above. For solar fans, the Solarguys are the way to go, check them out also.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Location: Philadelphia PA, North Wildwood NJ, Village of Tamarind Grove - June 2011

I had a solar tube and a solar attic fan installed by The Solar Guys and would highly recommend them. Here is their website. http://www.thesolarguys.com/
Old 01-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Platinum member

We also had solar tubes and a roof fan installed by Solar Guys.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Gold member
Default just a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
I'm gonna get beat up on this but while fans are Ok consider the reflective Radiant heat barrier. If done you will not need any fans Solar or Electric

Abshire insulation who does some of TV insulation can demonstrate and give you a quote.

They are scheduled for our new home in February,

http://www.secoenergy.com/radiant.html
Do they offer the heat barrier when they build a new home?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Gold member
Default They used to

I begged my contractor to " Get ER done" while being built. Villages used to but for politics lets just say the profit margin did not pan out for them.

So here is where I left this.

1: Researched with members of my Clean Communities and Professional Energy Star builders from all over the country.

2: Asked my builder what do you think, He smiled and said Guess What is in my home! Radiant Heat Barrier. It works. It's green it does not break it does not wear out it does not consume electricity.

3: Called Abshire and had many in depth discussions with him.

4: It's being installed this Feb. Will pay us back for the rest of our lifes!

5: Told three friends- One installed it the rest are still pondering.

It's real easy to demonstrate this product. Wait till 12:00 noon on a Hot summer sunny day. Remove your hat and feel the heat baking your brains. Hold a piece of this material over you head. Feel instant relief!

Our Space Program and missions to the moon did not have solar fans or electric fans nor did they leave the hatch open for flow thru ventilation. They had radiant heat barrier foil all over the space craft to protect.

This is where is came from.

Now time to get beat up again by those that hate this stuff!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Gold member

I had a discussion about radiant heat barriers with my neighbor. Here is my concern; perhaps those in the know have an answer: If the heat coming through the roof is radiated back toward the roof, does that not increase the temperature of the roof deck and the shingles? Does this impact the life of the roof?

This seems to be a similar effect that occurs when you put solar reflecting film on the inside of windows. I have been told by window companies that this is bad for the windows since the reflected heat back into the window causes so much heat build up in the window that the seals break down.

I'd be interested in an expert opinion on this.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Gold member
Default Roof

There is a long thread on this in Contractors and Services.

The bottom line is the roofing associations after years of study had or found no negative effects on the shingles. Steel Tile or Asphalt

Now you will find from Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back some concerns but that was years ago when the barrier was incorrectly applied against the roof,

Now a professional contractor has it installed and suspended below the roof using the rafter studs. Heat comes through the roof and the natural convection currents carry it up and out your standard roof vents installed per code. Thus no power vents necessary.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Gold member

This seems to be a similar effect that occurs when you put solar reflecting film on the inside of windows. I have been told by window companies that this is bad for the windows since the reflected heat back into the window causes so much heat build up in the window that the seals break down.

The Film should be manufactured as a intregrated package within the window or placed aftermarket on the outside. Of couirse there it would not adhere well and scratch.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 PM

We had SECO come out to do an energy audit and asked him about both the radiant barrier and electric/solar powered vents. His recommendation, from an energy and cost perspective, was the following: Leave the garage door open a few inches and prop open the access panel into the attic. With the existing passive vents already built into the attic this creates a circulation thru the attic that is more than adequate. He said adding additional powered ventilation or insulation would not have a positive impact on energy consumption.

As with everything, you ultimately need to do what you feel is best for your situation as lots of factors come into play. Note that the energy audit is a free service provided by SECO.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.