Adding Golf Cart Garage to front of Gardenia

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Default Adding Golf Cart Garage to front of Gardenia

Hi -

We don't have the room to add a golf cart to the side of our home (Gardenia model) but I was told the Begonia model is the same as the Gardenia, but the golf cart garage is in front of the kitchen.

I would like to know if anyone has done this (added a golf cart garage to the front of a Gardenia) or knows anyone who has. I would like to talk about how this project turned out and how happy you were with losing the light from the windows.

Thanks -

Mary Lou
Old 06-13-2018, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

I am sure you are aware that this type of change will require ARC approval, so you might want to at least call them to see if it is feasible from their view point. We have a Gardenia, but we have the golf cart garage on the side of the garage, so we have the windows in the kitchen. There are a few models of the Gardenia, so depending on which model you have the roof rearrangement maybe very interesting. Depending on how wide you make the GC garage you may lose all of your kitchen windows. You can go to Sumter County Building Department and get a full set of plans for you house, which will probably be very useful for your project. I had them email these to me for our use.
I wish you good luck with your project.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:15 AM
Platinum member

If it's like our Gardenia you won't have enough set back in front from street to front of house. Ck your plot plan.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
If it's like our Gardenia you won't have enough "set back" in front from street to front of house. Ck your plot plan.

If you are in Sumter County it is not ARC but the County that has the final approval on setback. Talk to the County first.

We have first hand experience.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 06-13-2018, 02:20 PM
Sage

Get an estimate for all the work that needs to be done first. It may be cheaper to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2018, 06:19 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Street set-back

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
If it's like our Gardenia you won't have enough set back in front from street to front of house. Ck your plot plan.
I agree this will likely be an issue that will prevent such an addition. Even if your lot allowed for the addition, it would ruin the street appeal of your house.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:41 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I did not have it done, but I did go through all the hoops and I could have. I had enough set back and would have lost the windows except the small one closest to the door in the kitchen. It was very expensive as the entire front roof line had to be modified. I decided to move instead. Ended up with a house where the garage was 1100 square feet. Full 3 car and added depth. No regrets as the neighborhood was also much better from a social view.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Get an estimate for all the work that needs to be done first. It may be cheaper to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. I would sell and move to a house that had a golf cart garage rather than try to expand one that had no room on the side for one. Houses sell quickly. Moving is far less expensive here than up north.

Tags
golf, gardenia, cart, front, garage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.