Repair Rip Off! A-White Sew Vac

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Angry Repair Rip Off! A-White Sew Vac

I took my sewing machine to A-White Sew Vac last week to have a problem fixed. I asked for no extra services and was told if the repair was expensive, I would be called. The machine, a basic 40-year-old Singer, would probably be ready on Monday. On Monday, I called to see if it had been repaired and was told no, not until the afternoon. My husband and I went out to do some other errands and was called no more than an hour later that the machine was ready.
What a shock when we got the bill! $100.00! They had added a $69.00 service charge and a set of cushions plus the repair ($20.00) that I'd asked for. After getting home and thinking about this, we called the manager and was told, "We charge everyone this." Maybe so but I was not told this up front. There is a sign posted stating a minimum half hour charge for repairs and a rate of $65.00/hour. The manager refused to make any adjustment but said he'd credit the $100.00 towards the purchase of a new $129.00 machine. Guess what -- Sunday's Target ad lists a NEW basic Singer machine for $69.99. Beware A-White Sew Vac!

Last edited by MaSgritta; 10-18-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Hourly rate was posted.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Default How not to grow a business

I went there a few months ago to look for a sewing machine to buy. There were no other customers, and the two women "working" there were eating their lunch at the tables inside the front door.

They didn't get up, and they acted like I had disturbed their privacy. Eating lunch was more important.

I couldn't exit fast enough. I could get better treatment from an Ebay seller or online retailer.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:38 AM

As always, there is another side to the story. I work at A-White and am familiar with this case, though I am not the manager. What the original writer left out is that the sign she is referring to has the basic service charge for different types of sewing machines and vacuums,including the first entry - $69.00 for a non-computerized sewing machine. Then it shows the $50.00 service charge for anything above that. When the machine was brought in, a note was made on the repair ticket that the cost was $69, for regular service and to call the customer if it would cost more. The repairman talked to the owner on the phonte, telling her that there would be an additional cost of $20 labor + parts. It seems as if the owner misunderstood that the basic charge would still apply and OKed the repair. If she had decided not to do the repair, there would have been no charge at all, even though he had spent time taking it apart. We do not have a "bench charge", as with other repair shops. In general, there is a minimum charge to take apart a machine to clean, oil, check tensions, etc, that ranges from $69 - $89, depending on machine type. If the repairman tests the stitches, etc., that's it. If there is more work needed, he calls the customer for an OK. If the customer is not available, the machine is held.

There are many people who come in or call in about service and opt to get the NEW Singerr for $69.00, rather than pay for the repair. For most of them, I assume that works out fine. However, please keep in mind that today's $69.00 Singer is no where near the quality of the 40-year-old one. It is not even made by the same company and is not sold in sewing stores. Yes, they can be sufficient for a casual sewer using simple fabrics, but they come with no support and no one to ask for help. I can't tell you how many people buy these machines (and others that they buy elsewhere) and come in to ask us to show them how to use them. Some offer to pay something, but many expect the help for free. Unless we spend significant time with someone, we do not charge them. I am just stating a fact, not implying that this customer would do this.

Finally, I am sorry for the misunderstanding with this customer, but I do believe that our pricing was consistent and honest in this case. Colette Klarman
Old 10-22-2010, 11:49 AM

As I said in another post, I work at A-White. I'd like to apologize for the poor service that you recieved. I will pass this complaint on to the manager and owner, since this is definitely not accepted practice.

On the other hand, let me explain how we work. Because we are a small shop, often with only one or two people there, we grab lunch whenever there is a momentary lull. Depending on classes or traffic in the store, we sometimes don't get a chance to eat till 1:30 - 2:00. For some reason (perhaps club meetings in The Villages) we usually have a big influx between 11:40 and 1:15, just as our morning classes are ending and the afternoon ones are beginning. We do eat at the tables in the main part of the store, because there is nowhere else to sit and eat. However, we are expected to greet every customer who walks in the door, even while we are at lunch. Since many people know what they want and where to find it or are "just looking", we may not get up until we are needed.

Apparently that did not happen in this case, and all I can do is apologize and promise to pass it on to management and to other workers.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cklar1223 View Post
As always, there is another side to the story. I work at A-White and am familiar with this case, though I am not the manager. What the original writer left out is that the sign she is referring to has the basic service charge for different types of sewing machines and vacuums,including the first entry - $69.00 for a non-computerized sewing machine. Then it shows the $50.00 service charge for anything above that. When the machine was brought in, a note was made on the repair ticket that the cost was $69, for regular service and to call the customer if it would cost more. The repairman talked to the owner on the phonte, telling her that there would be an additional cost of $20 labor + parts. It seems as if the owner misunderstood that the basic charge would still apply and OKed the repair. If she had decided not to do the repair, there would have been no charge at all, even though he had spent time taking it apart. We do not have a "bench charge", as with other repair shops. In general, there is a minimum charge to take apart a machine to clean, oil, check tensions, etc, that ranges from $69 - $89, depending on machine type. If the repairman tests the stitches, etc., that's it. If there is more work needed, he calls the customer for an OK. If the customer is not available, the machine is held.

There are many people who come in or call in about service and opt to get the NEW Singerr for $69.00, rather than pay for the repair. For most of them, I assume that works out fine. However, please keep in mind that today's $69.00 Singer is no where near the quality of the 40-year-old one. It is not even made by the same company and is not sold in sewing stores. Yes, they can be sufficient for a casual sewer using simple fabrics, but they come with no support and no one to ask for help. I can't tell you how many people buy these machines (and others that they buy elsewhere) and come in to ask us to show them how to use them. Some offer to pay something, but many expect the help for free. Unless we spend significant time with someone, we do not charge them. I am just stating a fact, not implying that this customer would do this.

Finally, I am sorry for the misunderstanding with this customer, but I do believe that our pricing was consistent and honest in this case. Colette Klarman
I believe that most people assume that the basic fee would be credited toward the actual repair fee and not added on top.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:17 PM

I was just in A-White Sew & Vac yesterday and received excellent service.

I think 2 things went wrong here: the customer asked to be called "if the repair was expensive." To some, a $100 repair bill is reasonable and to others it is expensive. I believe the customer should have requested a call as soon as the "diagnosis" was made to be advised of the charge. And A-White should have called the customer and advised what the total bill would be before they proceeded with the repair, whether or not they had been requested to do so.

If either of these things had happened, the customer could have made an educated decision on whether or not to proceed with the repair or simply buy another machine elsewhere.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Veteran member

I also have had good experience with A White. The first time, the woman at the counter was able to get it working (it was my threading error), and the second time it quit in the middle of a sewing project and they fixed it, cleaned it and got it back to me in 2 days. It did cost $100, but that's pretty minor these days and I knew what it would cost.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:01 PM

My wife and I have dealt with this shop for over 5 years now and have always found them to be fairly priced and professional. Having read all that was said before, I can understand how this could have happened. I know that I too have "sticker shock" when looking at shop prices these days, but it takes almost as much work to disassemble and reassemble something as it would have had a part been replaced.... hence, the flat shop charge.

Please don't let this keep you from experiencing the great service and friendly people who work there.

Chuck and Nancy Wildzunas
Old 11-06-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
I believe that most people assume that the basic fee would be credited toward the actual repair fee and not added on top.
First, let me say I was NOT told about the basic $69.00 charge when I took the machine in and only noticed it when I picked up the machine.

Secondly, I did NOT asked for the machine to oiled or checked or any other basic service since that had been done relatively recently elsewhere and I follow the recommended service based upon usage myself. Perhaps that is why the machine has lasted for 40 years. I only wanted the immediate problem repaired.

Thirdly, no one called me about the $20.00 to do the repair.

I have had minor repairs like this one made before and $20-$30 is the expected charge NOTthe $100 that was over-billed!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.