Repair stucco cracks

Old 05-23-2024, 08:10 AM
Veteran member
Default Repair stucco cracks

Stucco is cracking , inside and out side, from garage window downward. Who does this kind of repair work in TV? More important, who has experience with repairs of this type, and recommends a contractor?
Old 05-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,082 Times in 2,545 Posts

As house settles you most likely see superficial cracks. You can get stucco patch at any hardware store/ Walmart and putty knife smear it on and paint over it. This is common and on going of stucco siding.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,453 Times in 2,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourpar View Post
Stucco is cracking , inside and out side, from garage window downward. Who does this kind of repair work in TV? More important, who has experience with repairs of this type, and recommends a contractor?
If the house is less than 10 years old, I would have an inspector (Frank D'Angelo is great) take a look to see if there is a reason for this and if there is any damage due to water intrusion. I believe most houses have a 10-year structural warranty.

As for the cracks, Sherwin Williams as well as ACE, Home Depot, and Lowes all have elastomeric crack sealers that are very easy to apply. The reason I mentioned Sherwin Williams first is you will also need touch up paint and they can typically lookup the original color of the house.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

Thanks, I am not doing that kind of work, but will find a contractor to do it. Any recommendations out there?
Thanks
Old 05-23-2024, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,453 Times in 2,343 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, I am not doing that kind of work, but will find a contractor to do it. Any recommendations out there?
Thanks
I would suggest any of the several handyman people on this site, if you actually require a contractor, try Doc's as they seem to cover many different type of repairs and renovations. The other option would be one of the house painters as these cracks need to be fixed before painting.
I am a DIY person, so I do not have any firsthand experience to give you a specific person or company to use.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,366 Times in 745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The reason I mentioned Sherwin Williams first is you will also need touch up paint and they can typically lookup the original color of the house.
Sherman Williams cannot look up your paint as it came from Florida Paint which can look up your Paint by address
Old 05-24-2024, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
If the house is less than 10 years old, I would have an inspector (Frank D'Angelo is great) take a look to see if there is a reason for this and if there is any damage due to water intrusion. I believe most houses have a 10-year structural warranty.
The Villages structural warranty, at least the one covering our home, uses language that reduces coverage dramatically. It only covers damage “to the extent that your home becomes unsafe, unsanitary, or otherwise unlivable.”

That clause eliminates many things people assume would be covered such as excessive home settling, drywall/stucco cracks, rotten/broken roof joists, etc., etc.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:48 AM
Default Stucco

Quote:
If it is a small Crack most painters can repair it and paint the area. If it is a wide crack contact Carlos at 352 630 7238. My painting company recommended this person.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,904 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
The lower corners of the windows is where cracks are most likely to occur because of settling. If if REAL stained stucco made of smeared on concrete instead of a synthetic, and if the crack is small, you may not need to do anything. If the house is concrete block or reinforced concrete prefab walls (Superior Wall System, now being used in new houses in The Villages), what little water gets through will evaporate through the concrete when the rain stops. If your home has wood stud construction that is properly flashed below the windows with the stucco applied over metal lathe, then again, a small crack probably doesn’t let water all the way through. But if you put a stucco patching material over the crack, it’s very hard to actually get it into the crack, and then you have to paint it. Then you end up painting the whole house. Then the paint may provide an “elastomeric membrane” that doesn’t let the stucco dry properly after a rain if there is already moisture in the concrete, which. Is generally the case. This can cause rotting or mold conditions in the walls because the wetness in the stucco that can’t dry to the outside is sucked into the walls. Stucco is meant to “breathe.” Paint stops that breathing.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:13 AM
Default Easy Do-It-Yourself

Quote:
Thanks
We lived in New Mexico, where everything is stucco and where cracks are endemic due to the brutal sun and range of temperature. It seems like I applied gallons of elastomeric patching compound, which is nothing more than a heavy, rubberized product with remains flexible, but, unlike silicone, can be painted.

I had a concrete block wall fail, leaving a crack that was a "stairstep" from the bottom to the top, following the edges of the blocks. The crack was 1/2" wide. I stuffed foam insulation into the crack and covered it with the elastomeric compound, smoothed it out with a putty knife (keeping the blade wet), painted the wall and it was perfect for the 10 years we lived there. That said, if you have 1/2" cracks in a garage wall, that extends to the interior, I would have a qualified inspector or contractor identify the cause.

If your cracks are small, "hairline" cracks, a good brand of ordinary caulking in a squeeze tube will do the job. Fill the crack and wipe it smooth with a wet sponge, followed by paint. If you're lucky, you will only need to follow the filled crack with the matching paint and not have to do the entire wall.

NEVER use pure silicone caulking as paint will not stick to it, and it can never be removed. Some brands describe their caulking as being "siliconized". These will accept paint. Ask the salesperson to be certain.

If you really need a painter, call John Wayne dba Trask Painting, 352-504-8718. Tell him Dale sent you. Our house was gutted and remodeled, inside and outside. John did all the patching and painting and did excellent work.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:36 AM

I used Mike Stokes 352-267-4036. He did a great job.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:04 AM

Quote:
How big/wide are the cracks? When you repaint the outside, the painters caulk the cracks. I would call a painter and ask the painter. Stucco cracks are common with any settling of the foundation.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Sherman Williams cannot look up your paint as it came from Florida Paint which can look up your Paint by address
Sherwin Williams found mine by paint name.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:18 AM

Do it yourself. Here's how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKWsw7L8cQI

I did mine, and it's just this east.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:24 AM

I think it is funny to see so many people call it Sherman and not Sherwin Williams. I’m from Cleveland where they are located and some people there call it Sherman too

Tags
repair, stucco, inside, recommends, type

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.