Reroof rip offs!

Old 08-29-2020, 10:43 AM
Veteran member
Default Reroof rip offs!

I have been here eight years. I currently own two homes. The one I live in and another rental. The home I live in (six years old) lost some shingles in the hurricane a few years back. We had them replaced by a handyman I have used several times. Recently we lost some more as the house is on a golf course with nothing to block the East wind. I had those replaced.
The rental home is about 13 years old. I recently had a well know roofing contractor from Leesburg inspect both houses. They told me I had issues with the shingles and needed some replaced for $599. They inspected the rental home and said there were soft spots in the roof and I needed a total new roof to the tune of $11,999.00.

This morning I had a certified home inspector I have used before check both homes roofs. It cost me $60 total. I only need a little roof sealant on my personal home on a few shingles and the other rental roof DOES NOT NEED REPLACING. It is a 30 year roof and is only 13 years old. This roofing company (well known) in my mind tried to rip me off. BEWARE of roofers telling you your roof needs replacing and quotes a price. Get a certified inspector before forking over money! If you want names send me a message.

Last edited by TimeForChange; 08-29-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Old 08-29-2020, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,280 Times in 5,448 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-29-2020, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,390 Posts

More than one roofing company trolling our village for days. Knocking on doors, offering "free" inspections.

Two of the door knockers started the same way....we are in the area working on your neighbor's roof....we are offering free inspections.

I said to both soliciting is not allowed. They both said they were not soliciting....they were offering free inspections!!

Homes in our village are all pretty much 14-16 years old. Most if not all have architectural (or better) with 30 year warranty.

During the past few weeks, I am amazed at how many residents are having their roofs replaced.

Old 08-29-2020, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
More than one roofing company trolling our village for days. Knocking on doors, offering "free" inspections.

Two of the door knockers started the same way....we are in the area working on your neighbor's roof....we are offering free inspections.

I said to both soliciting is not allowed. They both said they were not soliciting....they were offering free inspections!!

Homes in our village are all pretty much 14-16 years old. Most if not all have architectural (or better) with 30 year warranty.

During the past few weeks, I am amazed at how many residents are having their roofs replaced.
We just bought a home in DeSoto, the houses were built in 2018. The house behind us just had a new roof put on. Can’t wait to find out the story behind that!

Old 08-29-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
They inspected the rental home and said there were soft spots in the roof and I needed a total new roof to the tune of $11,999,000.
Egads! Just how big is your roof, or were you going with the gold-plated model?

Old 08-29-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
This roofing company (well known) in my mind tried to rip me off. BEWARE of roofers telling you your roof needs replacing and quotes a price. Get a certified inspector before forking over money! If you want names send me a message.
Posters post business names for positive and negative reasons.

Let this business take ownership for their business practices - post the company name so all of us can see.

It will also be useful for down the road when people search the forum they will see the business name and ur factual experience with that company.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastDawg View Post
Actually, $12,000 is not a bad price for a total replacement. Most folks I have talked to have quotes of $15,000 to $20,000!

Old 08-29-2020, 01:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I have been here eight years. I currently own two homes. The one I live in and another rental. The home I live in (six years old) lost some shingles in the hurricane a few years back. We had them replaced by a handyman I have used several times. Recently we lost some more as the house is on a golf course with nothing to block the East wind. I had those replaced.
The rental home is about 13 years old. I recently had a well know roofing contractor from Leesburg inspect both houses. They told me I had issues with the shingles and needed some replaced for $599. They inspected the rental home and said there were soft spots in the roof and I needed a total new roof to the tune of $11,999,000.

This morning I had a certified home inspector I have used before check both homes roofs. It cost me $60 total. I only need a little roof sealant on my personal home on a few shingles and the other rental roof DOES NOT NEED REPLACING. It is a 30 year roof and is only 13 years old. This roofing company (well known) in my mind tried to rip me off. BEWARE of roofers telling you your roof needs replacing and quotes a price. Get a certified inspector before forking over money! If you want names send me a message.
Just curious, for $11,999 what was the home model? Great info you shared.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Actually, $12,000 is not a bad price for a total replacement. Most folks I have talked to have quotes of $15,000 to $20,000!
It says 11 million, Nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand. That's the basis for the gold-plated quote.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastDawg View Post
3200 sq ft of roof with Owens Corning Duration shingles.. Nothing fancy. At one time the company I retired from manufactured shingles and I sold them. I'm not a dummy so that is when I called a certified inspector.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromAroundHere View Post
It says 11 million, Nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand. That's the basis for the gold-plated quote.
Typo corrected.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:33 PM
Veteran member

Having had experience in dealing with roofing contractors and distributors in my working past I do not choose to post the name. They actually have a five star rating on this board with many satisfied customers listed. I would just say, before you commit to have a roof replaced for any price get a real home inspector to look at the roof. Remember the contractor is in business to sell roof's and they train their people to do that. If it is a 20, 30 or 50 year roof and only a few years old that raises a red flag. The shingle itself has a warranty and the roofing company usually gives a five or ten year warranty. If you want the name then message me.

Old 08-29-2020, 02:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
We received four quotes ranging from $14,000 to $19,000 for around 2,900 sq ft floor area

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 08-29-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Old 08-29-2020, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,608 Times in 1,340 Posts

Try finding an insurance company with a 15yo roof.

Old 08-29-2020, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,280 Times in 5,448 Posts

Great idea having an outside inspector give their opinion on whether roof needs replacing.

Tags
roof, years, home, rental, shingles

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.