Reroof rip offs!

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2020, 07:53 PM
Veteran member

Friends recommended a roofing company that had done a superb new roof on their home. We invited the company to examine our roof; the company’s inspector said that our roof showed enough storm damage that they were virtually certain that our insurance company would agree and that our total cost would be our insurance deductible of $500. Our next-door neighbor asked the rep to check her roof; he did and told her that her roof would NOT5 qualify for insurance purposes.

So, in a sense the decision was not ours, nor was it that of the roofing company; it was really that of our insurance company. They approved a new roof! I was surprised and asked the Insurance claims person if this is typical. She said that the insurance company prefers to pay for a roof this year rather than a new roof plus inside damage next year. We had the new roof installed a few months ago, it did indeed cost $500 out of pocket, and our insurance premium not only did not go up, it actually dropped a little.

We highly recommend Five Star Roofing (Scott Ruby, 813-416-5844) and are very happy with our insurance company, AAA South.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,025 Times in 1,749 Posts

Very useful information. Thank you for sharing. The idea of getting the evaluation of a certified home inspector instead of a roofer to give suggestions for fixing your roof is genius! I’ve had my roof repaired several times on various homes over the years and suspected that maybe I was being fleeced by the roofing company, but what did I know?

Last edited by Velvet; 08-30-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Try finding an insurance company with a 15yo roof.
Farmers insures mine. 17 YO roof.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:37 AM
Veteran member

Has anyone gone through TV Insurance company for new roofs?

Last edited by bilcon; 08-31-2020 at 06:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-01-2020, 03:16 PM
Default The HIGH cost of "free" roofs for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpascani View Post
And DO NOT let said 'roof person' talk you i to 'letting him handle everything with you insurance company for you'! That is called ASSIGNMENT OF BENEFITS, and ou are basically signing your house over to this person. DON'T FALL FOR IT!! Do it yourself ...like this person did!!
The advice above is right on. Just had cousin in another state taken in this same scam (concerning water damage) and it cost her thousands and after a very long legal fight, also lost her insurance for signing what the restoration/mold person told her she MUST sign, or, they would simply allow her basement to remain as it was... full of water, until as he told here "the foundation walls just collapse".

But of serious concern here in the Villages is the number of people who are falling for the roofing scam, turn in a false damage claim to get a "free" roof, and then pay with mind boggling premium rates: $700 to $1500 annually in one actual example...but, many of the neighbors got their "free" roofs. Here is a great explanation of what will continue if people don't stop this kind of thing. Got this letter from
my insurance company (one many on this site also seem to have):

"You may have noticed that your home insurance premium has been increasing these past few years - and sadly, there's no end to this trend in sight. Florida's property insurance industry is facing an unprecedented crisis and unless we achieve meaningful legislative reform, this trend will continue for years to come. Fortunately, you can help bring this crisis to an end!
Here's Why Premiums Continue to Increase:

Frivolous lawsuits filed by trial attorneys who earn "fee multipliers," generally of 2-3 times an average attorney's hourly rate (ex. $500 x 2.5 = $1,250 an hour). They are able to earn six-figure fees on a $10K settlement, none of which is shared with the policyholder - they keep it all to themselves.
Thousands of claims reported with damage to roofs that appear to be wear-and-tear or maintenance-related, rather than damage caused by a covered peril.
Reinsurance (“insurance for insurance companies) costs are rising because of lawsuits being currently filed for “damage” caused by a hurricane that made landfall three years ago! "

You may have noticed that your home insurance premium has been increasing these past few years - and sadly, there's no end to this trend in sight. Florida's property insurance industry is facing an unprecedented crisis and unless we achieve meaningful legislative reform, this trend will continue for years to come. Fortunately, you can help bring this crisis to an end!
Here's Why Premiums Continue to Increase:

Frivolous lawsuits filed by trial attorneys who earn "fee multipliers," generally of 2-3 times an average attorney's hourly rate (ex. $500 x 2.5 = $1,250 an hour). They are able to earn six-figure fees on a $10K settlement, none of which is shared with the policyholder - they keep it all to themselves.
Thousands of claims reported with damage to roofs that appear to be wear-and-tear or maintenance-related, rather than damage caused by a covered peril.
Reinsurance (“insurance for insurance companies) costs are rising because of lawsuits being currently filed for “damage” caused by a hurricane that made landfall three years ago!

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 09-01-2020 at 03:19 PM. Reason: delete spaces
Old 09-01-2020, 03:46 PM
Default Roof issues

Roofing companies have been known to show you video of the deplorable condition of your roof. Beware!!! Those videos may not be your roof!! One such crook got nailed bc the video he showed the homeowner was not the same roof color. Duh
Old 09-01-2020, 03:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,478 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Has anyone gone through TV Insurance company for new roofs?
To clarify for you, there is no such thing as TV Insurance company.

The Villages Insurance is an agency that represents several actual Insurance companies. They would in no way have anything to do with adjusting or paying for a claim.

Claims would be made to any of the insurance companies that they represent.

Sorry, but this drives me nuts.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:08 PM
Platinum member

Moving into Villages soon and currently live in S. Fla. Was in the insurance adjusting business and this has been going on for years down here. We pay 3-4 X more for house insurance(Agree we are more likely to get hit by a hurricane) than in the Villages. With the storm hitting Louisiana these roofers will probably leave and go there where they can get 2x the prior roofing prices.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Platinum member

Agree and have found similar problems. Hip roofs are the way to go and none to be seen in the villages
Old 09-01-2020, 04:15 PM
Platinum member

You might want to take a closer look. Sounds like water is being caused by condensation.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:13 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Friends recommended a roofing company that had done a superb new roof on their home. We invited the company to examine our roof; the company’s inspector said that our roof showed enough storm damage that they were virtually certain that our insurance company would agree and that our total cost would be our insurance deductible of $500. Our next-door neighbor asked the rep to check her roof; he did and told her that her roof would NOT5 qualify for insurance purposes.

So, in a sense the decision was not ours, nor was it that of the roofing company; it was really that of our insurance company. They approved a new roof! I was surprised and asked the Insurance claims person if this is typical. She said that the insurance company prefers to pay for a roof this year rather than a new roof plus inside damage next year. We had the new roof installed a few months ago, it did indeed cost $500 out of pocket, and our insurance premium not only did not go up, it actually dropped a little.

We highly recommend Five Star Roofing (Scott Ruby, 813-416-5844) and are very happy with our insurance company, AAA South.
My husband is a builder and most of the roofers he has seen he would not let near our roof. Just because a roof looks nice does not mean it was a superb job. He has noted the repairs are not properly done to the roof itself, the moisture barrier was not applied properly and not enough nails were used or not set properly and the quality of materials was questionable.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:26 AM
Veteran member
Default Itmeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
My husband is a builder and most of the roofers he has seen he would not let near our roof. Just because a roof looks nice does not mean it was a superb job. He has noted the repairs are not properly done to the roof itself, the moisture barrier was not applied properly and not enough nails were used or not set properly and the quality of materials was questionable.
To quote myself: “So, in a sense the decision [to replace our roof] was not ours, nor was it that of the roofing company; it was really that of our insurance company.“ The same roofing company rep told the next-door neighbor that she would not qualify, that it is up to the insurance company adjuster, not him (the roofing company rep).

Whose roof are you talking about that was not “repaired” properly? And what does a roof “repair” (an issue between a homeowner and her or his handyperson or whoever is hired to do the repair) have to do with a roof “replacement” (which requires the approval of the insurance company’s inspector—both before AND after the new roof is installed—as well as an inspection AND approval by local authorities)?

We have a friend who felt he MIGHT need a new roof—no certainty—and he contacted our roofer on our recommendation. When the roofer heard which insurance company was involved, he would not even look at the roof! (The insurance company is known for using their own roofing companies when THEY decide there’s a need.) My friend was irked. I suggested he let the insurance company’s inspector/adjuster send in their own roofing company IF they saw the need for a new roof.

Sure enough, again the obvious—the insurance company makes the decision, NOT the homeowner and certainly NOT the roofing company. And in this instance, the insurance company determined that there was a need for a new roof. So yes, our friend got his new roof—inspected and approved by local authorities—at the cost of his insurance deductible. Like us, he has not had an increase in insurance premium.

It’s clear who’s in charge—who makes the final decisions in situations like this....
Old 09-02-2020, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
To quote myself: “So, in a sense the decision [to replace our roof] was not ours, nor was it that of the roofing company; it was really that of our insurance company.“ The same roofing company rep told the next-door neighbor that she would not qualify, that it is up to the insurance company adjuster, not him (the roofing company rep).

Whose roof are you talking about that was not “repaired” properly? And what does a roof “repair” (an issue between a homeowner and her or his handyperson or whoever is hired to do the repair) have to do with a roof “replacement” (which requires the approval of the insurance company’s inspector—both before AND after the new roof is installed—as well as an inspection AND approval by local authorities)?

We have a friend who felt he MIGHT need a new roof—no certainty—and he contacted our roofer on our recommendation. When the roofer heard which insurance company was involved, he would not even look at the roof! (The insurance company is known for using their own roofing companies when THEY decide there’s a need.) My friend was irked. I suggested he let the insurance company’s inspector/adjuster send in their own roofing company IF they saw the need for a new roof.

Sure enough, again the obvious—the insurance company makes the decision, NOT the homeowner and certainly NOT the roofing company. And in this instance, the insurance company determined that there was a need for a new roof. So yes, our friend got his new roof—inspected and approved by local authorities—at the cost of his insurance deductible. Like us, he has not had an increase in insurance premium.

It’s clear who’s in charge—who makes the final decisions in situations like this....
I'm not talking about insurance companies, I am talking about roofers. Many that we have seen are bad (ie don't use enough nails or don't set them properly). As for the repairs, often when a roof actually does need to be replaced, some of the plywood is rotted and needs to be replaced. Some will just slap new shingles right over it.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,113 Posts
Default I had Batterby roofing put new roof in

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy1516 View Post
I’m interested in who you used to check your roof. I’m having some leaking around the a/c vent in the ceiling. Thanks in advance!
After tornado, when I moved into next new home , I noticed a little water after a year in garage, no one could figure it out at warranty office, but to had someone come out from company it took a while checking but realized it was the dry vent took a coat hanger to it , he wouldn’t take a tip even good guys there
Old 09-04-2020, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,113 Posts

Hmmm my cousin told me this , I have a friend that’s a builder , my 3rd cousins barber knows a roofing company , all the roofers are crooks, my insurance doubled , Please Give Me A Break. . Just for kicks I checked back my home insurance has gone up $43 in 3 years , it actually went down a couple and I just paid for the year . I’ve been in 5 new homes here but I also lived in homes all over state. When I get my insurance bill here I always chuckle it’s compared what I was paying other places it’s a joke . I have not ever among people I know heard anyone complain that there bill was to highand it’s an insult to brand as incompetent or crooks the many hard working people who work on roofs if your worried you get an inspection after they put the roof up , I did after tornado hit here
Closed Thread

Tags
roof, years, home, rental, shingles

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.