Reroof rip offs!

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2020, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

Mostly scams and fraud IMO. my insurance going up 200 buck cause all the scam roofs being replaced, no mine wasn’t one of them. Just cause roof older don’t mean it needs replaced. But, when word get out! You can get free roof cause the roofer has lawyer and sue. Actually weather done here is central Florida pretty mild compared to Midwest. It started in our area neighborhood this spring with little pea size hail. Pea size, how can pea size hail damage anything.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
More than one roofing company trolling our village for days. Knocking on doors, offering "free" inspections.

Two of the door knockers started the same way....we are in the area working on your neighbor's roof....we are offering free inspections.

I said to both soliciting is not allowed. They both said they were not soliciting....they were offering free inspections!!

Homes in our village are all pretty much 14-16 years old. Most if not all have architectural (or better) with 30 year warranty.

During the past few weeks, I am amazed at how many residents are having their roofs replaced.
Can I ask, I am confused, what does the 30 year warranty on our roofs cover? because it seems to me that no matter what the problem it is not covered ??
Old 08-30-2020, 05:12 AM
Veteran member

So basically $400 per square. (100 square feet) . five years ago insurance inspector said get inspection so I did . 15 year old roof doesn't need replacing .
Old 08-30-2020, 06:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan1951 View Post
Can I ask, I am confused, what does the 30 year warranty on our roofs cover? because it seems to me that no matter what the problem it is not covered ??
Generally, it covers manufacturer defects. Some warranties are better than others.

Roofing Warranties – Shingle Warranties | Owens Corning Roofing
Old 08-30-2020, 06:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
I have been here eight years. I currently own two homes. The one I live in and another rental. The home I live in (six years old) lost some shingles in the hurricane a few years back. We had them replaced by a handyman I have used several times. Recently we lost some more as the house is on a golf course with nothing to block the East wind. I had those replaced.
The rental home is about 13 years old. I recently had a well know roofing contractor from Leesburg inspect both houses. They told me I had issues with the shingles and needed some replaced for $599. They inspected the rental home and said there were soft spots in the roof and I needed a total new roof to the tune of $11,999.00.

This morning I had a certified home inspector I have used before check both homes roofs. It cost me $60 total. I only need a little roof sealant on my personal home on a few shingles and the other rental roof DOES NOT NEED REPLACING. It is a 30 year roof and is only 13 years old. This roofing company (well known) in my mind tried to rip me off. BEWARE of roofers telling you your roof needs replacing and quotes a price. Get a certified inspector before forking over money! If you want names send me a message.
What a great reminder that sealant and a some shingle replacement could be the fix. Thanks for this post.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:50 AM

Actually, if you own a newer home south of 466A you might want to let someone inspect it. When built, many of the homes had a defective moisture barrier used on the roofs and the manufacturer is paying to fully replace the roof. You need to first contact the roofer in the build (should be in your warranty paperwork) and find out if they used the particular brand (TAMKO). If so then contact them and get the paperwork started. You have to jump through a minimal amount of hoops but you'll end up with a check from them to cover a full replacement with the roofer of your choice. Do it before the roof goes out of warranty because after that you're on your own and it will breakdown eventually if it hasn't already.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:09 AM

Thanks
Old 08-30-2020, 07:14 AM

They are getting the insurance companies to pay for the roofs. Not only have the rates gone up because of it, but now it is hard to find insurance on a home with a roof 10+ years old. I am surprised the insurance companies are paying all these claims.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:44 AM

Yep. Been in the business 42 yrs. in Central Fla.; 24 as a Company owner. The vultures (out of town roofing companies) have discovered how gullibke Villagers are. Shingles are warranteed by mfrs. for 25 yrs. (3-tabs) or 30 yrs. (architecturals). Why would mfrs. put in writing in their warrantees that their products will last 25 or 30 yrs. if they won't? There is also something going on where home owner's insurance companies are not fighting roofing company inspection reports calling for a new roof - and just paying off. Maybe arbitration is too expense. At any rate, homeowners are being scammed. I can tell you many actual stories.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I have been here eight years. I currently own two homes. The one I live in and another rental. The home I live in (six years old) lost some shingles in the hurricane a few years back. We had them replaced by a handyman I have used several times. Recently we lost some more as the house is on a golf course with nothing to block the East wind. I had those replaced.
The rental home is about 13 years old. I recently had a well know roofing contractor from Leesburg inspect both houses. They told me I had issues with the shingles and needed some replaced for $599. They inspected the rental home and said there were soft spots in the roof and I needed a total new roof to the tune of $11,999.00.

This morning I had a certified home inspector I have used before check both homes roofs. It cost me $60 total. I only need a little roof sealant on my personal home on a few shingles and the other rental roof DOES NOT NEED REPLACING. It is a 30 year roof and is only 13 years old. This roofing company (well known) in my mind tried to rip me off. BEWARE of roofers telling you your roof needs replacing and quotes a price. Get a certified inspector before forking over money! If you want names send me a message.
Could you send me the names and phone numbers of the roof inspectors that you mentioned in the posting. Send to georgegracan@gmail.com
Old 08-30-2020, 08:14 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Having had experience in dealing with roofing contractors and distributors in my working past I do not choose to post the name. They actually have a five star rating on this board with many satisfied customers listed. I would just say, before you commit to have a roof replaced for any price get a real home inspector to look at the roof. Remember the contractor is in business to sell roof's and they train their people to do that. If it is a 20, 30 or 50 year roof and only a few years old that raises a red flag. The shingle itself has a warranty and the roofing company usually gives a five or ten year warranty. If you want the name then message me.
That really diminishes the helpfulness of your post. Will you at least share the name of the home inspector you trusted?
Old 08-30-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:

By virtue of this place it breeds crooks and nefarious characters. It gets worse each year as the quality of homes dramatically decrease. The HVAC, roof, structural, electrical - all these very expensive items should last much longer than most people believe. The people who live here should be more transparent with whom they hired scope of work the cost type of home. The more information we share with each other the more we can decrease future price gouging and dishonest people.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:20 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Do not know why you share some information but not enough for others to be forewarned. Why share at all?
Old 08-30-2020, 08:46 AM

Would also be interested in the contact info for your roof inspector. Received the renewal notice for our homeowners insurance and it went up almost $700 and when I called the insurance agent, I was told it was due to the age of the roof (15years). Was able to shop it and found a much better rate, but was told I will have the same issue next year. Just bought the house in 2017 and when the inspection was done there was nothing wrong with the roof.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:49 AM
Veteran member
Default ins co are fighting this

Quote:
Originally Posted by taruffi57 View Post
Yep. Been in the business 42 yrs. in Central Fla.; 24 as a Company owner. The vultures (out of town roofing companies) have discovered how gullibke Villagers are. Shingles are warranteed by mfrs. for 25 yrs. (3-tabs) or 30 yrs. (architecturals). Why would mfrs. put in writing in their warrantees that their products will last 25 or 30 yrs. if they won't? There is also something going on where home owner's insurance companies are not fighting roofing company inspection reports calling for a new roof - and just paying off. Maybe arbitration is too expense. At any rate, homeowners are being scammed. I can tell you many actual stories.
I spoke with my insurance company about all these roofing scams. Many of the scams have it set up where they bill the insurance company for one amount and actually charge a lesser amount so the owner does not have to pay the deductible (this is fraud). The insurance companies are aware of this and have gone to Tallahassee to try to remedy this with the Florida State officials but so far to no avail. ps this is why our homeowner insurance is skyrocketing.
Closed Thread

Tags
roof, years, home, rental, shingles

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.