Rip Off - Tire Choice

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I hd a bad experience at Tire Choice on Bichara Blvd just outside the Historic District. I've posted a warning on here. I wonder if the two have the same ownership.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
It seems that those of you who have posted negative experiences with Tire Choice on here must have read previous negative experiences. I have to wonder why one would go there for services when they have been warned and others have been ripped off? Can anyone explain? Maybe it's the "it won't happen to me" syndrome.
You make the assumption that people read every thread. If I'm not looking for tires I'll just scroll past it.

There are a lot of one car households in TV due to golf cart accessibility which Tire Choice is. So I compared their price to Walmart.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
When in doubt, consult the owner's manual for maintenance items. For example, Honda's maintenance schedule calls for brake fluid flushes every 3 years.
I agree that all manufacturers have their recommended services which I have been told by honest mechanics it's recommended based on vehicle usage and age. I didn't intend anyone should totally ignore any care on your car. I have services done on my vehicles when it's proven to me it's needed. I believe the lady in this situation was was taken advantage of.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes, I agree - very bad behavior by the shop. Spread the word. A lot of this sort of thing can be prevented by reading the owner's manual and having some friends who have some mechanical aptitude and can separate nonsense from fact if you don't feel comfortable talking to a mechanic. Another option, if you can afford it, is to do 3-year leases with all maintenance included in the lease price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I agree that all manufacturers have their recommended services which I have been told by honest mechanics it's recommended based on vehicle usage and age. I didn't intend anyone should totally ignore any care on your car. I have services done on my vehicles when it's proven to me it's needed. I believe the lady in this situation was was taken advantage of.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Platinum member

Looks like Tire Choice will not be my, well, choice for tires.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Or maybe they haven't read prior negative comments and decided to post about their experience. OP only has 13 posts.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Or maybe they haven't read prior negative comments and decided to post about their experience. OP only has 13 posts.
TAY AWAY from tires + unless U have DEEP POCKETS!!!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Sage

I had 2 flat golf cart tires. I removed both of them, put them in my car and drove there and they put 3 plugs in one and 1 plug in another and said "no charge" They only suggested I tip the guy doing the work, which I was glad to do.
On the other hand while there I overheard a conversation that they quoted a customer $99 for battery and $24 to install. I just had the same service done at Villages carts for $79 total.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Was this a battery for a gas golf cart? Perhaps a better battery?? $24 to install, seems sort of odd - I thought, generally, most places threw in the battery for no additional cost??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I had 2 flat golf cart tires. I removed both of them, put them in my car and drove there and they put 3 plugs in one and 1 plug in another and said "no charge" They only suggested I tip the guy doing the work, which I was glad to do.
On the other hand while there I overheard a conversation that they quoted a customer $99 for battery and $24 to install. I just had the same service done at Villages carts for $79 total.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Was this a battery for a gas golf cart? Perhaps a better battery?? $24 to install, seems sort of odd - I thought, generally, most places threw in the battery for no additional cost??
Yes he was asking about a battery for his golf cart and It caught my attention since I knew mine was over 4 years old and on borrowed time. I don't know if the quality was any better but can say after 4 years on my original battery that I was pleased how long it lasted. I usually replace my batteries every 3 years in my car and motorcycle just to avoid getting stuck somewhere. The golf cart battery was something new to me and I let it go longer. The golf cart battery has to start the engine every time you stop and I was seeing times that when I stepped on the gas I got nothing.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:34 AM
Veteran member
Default Colony Tire Choice

Bought two tires there 2 in Jan. Went back Saturday to have them look for something causing a noise under car. Tech said you are missing 2 lug nuts on one of the rear wheels (one reg, one locking). He said you should bring it back to the place that last had your wheels off. THEY WERE THAT PLACE!. The manager on duty recommended I buy a new set of locks and he would take it off the bill...as I was buying 2 new tires. Brought the new locks Advanced Auto Parts said fit my car. They didn't so now I have three wheel locks on my 4 tires. Recommended I contact my car dealer for a replacement lock. They are a very busy place. People coming in for appointments were being quoted a week out.

Last edited by Northerner52; 04-01-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:12 PM

Sorry for you issue, but I have found that SAMS club does the best overall at the BEST price of anywhere, and they don't rip you off. Try SAMS.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:28 PM

I guess I can add one more Tire Choice experience. I took my vehicle in for an oil change and they found a leaking steering rack seal. They told me the only way it could be repaired was for a new steering rack . I also needed some new front brake pads Cost $1450.but if I did it today, they would do it for $1300.... Took it to Auto Tech on 301 and had 2 seals and a new brake pads for $320. If I had not been somewhat knowledgeable about cars, I would have been ripped off.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

I'm so glad I learned how to change my own oil when I got my 1st car when I turned 16; I've never had my oil changed by anyone. I can look at everything under the vehicle to see if there are any leaks or something wearing out. I can't say that I'll always be able to do that but will as long as I'm able.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Veteran member

I had an oil change there and their "free" inspection resulted in a laundry list of repairs my old car needed. I waited until the next time it required service and I took the list amounting to $1650 to Lady Lake Tire and what few actual repairs my car needed we done for around $250, including a new oil change. 'Nuff said
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.