Roofer

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2017, 12:38 PM
Default Roofer

Looking for a roofer. Lost shingles in last hurricane. Warranty Dept. said Batterbee installed the roof. A Rep. came yesterday and gave a $500. price to replace approx. six shingles fix an overhang with glue. Does that sound High? Can't get anyone else to come look. On the list of three other companies. Does anyone know of anyone else to call or is $500. the going price. Rep. said that is their beginning price.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Sage

Call Tim McGinnis 352.266.9403, (McGinnis Builders Inc).

He did 3 roofs for my neighbors and quoted me a price $1900 less than another contractor, for the same type roof.

You might want to ask him if it's worth submitting a claim.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-30-2017, 09:20 PM

$500 for six shingles seems way out of line but there is a baseline of cost to the roofer just to get to your place and put up his ladder; not sure $500 is the right baseline but maybe for Batterbee. ?? I doubt $500 is enough to bother with an insurance claim. Your "deductible" is likely that or more.

I lost about 40 ridge shingles from three different peaks. My adjuster (working under contract with American Integrity Insurance Group and the Villages Insurance) quoted me an estimate to fix of about $350 to $400 to replace them. I could have bought new replacement ridge-line shingles and nails from Lowes to install new for less than $100. I was able to retrieve all the old/damaged shingles and had underlayment nails in the garage. Re-installed the old, slightly damaged ridge shingles myself in about 30 - 45 minutes. You may not want to climb up there and repair them as roof work can be danagerous.

Two of my neighbors got their roofs completely replaced (tear-off and installation of new underlyment and new architectural shingles) by Tim McGinnis. Fast work and it looks great -- if your roof is already 15 to 20 years old, you should probably think of a new roof now anyway.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:21 AM

How long do roofs generally last in Florida? Looking to buy soon, thinking about a patio villa. Also, what is the approximate cost for a new roof on this type of house? I appreciate your knowledge.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I highly recommend Sack Roofing. We had a relatively new roof replaced a few years ago and I do not recommend that particular roofer. During Irma we had a serious leak and called Sack Roofing; I cannot say enough good things about this company. The went above and beyond what we expected and found the illusive leak which caused so much damage to our living room. They were the best and the cost was fair.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:08 AM

Thanks for your reply
Old 01-01-2018, 11:09 AM

Thanks for your reply. Roof is six years old. To old to go up on roof.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
I highly recommend Sack Roofing. We had a relatively new roof replaced a few years ago and I do not recommend that particular roofer. During Irma we had a serious leak and called Sack Roofing; I cannot say enough good things about this company. The went above and beyond what we expected and found the illusive leak which caused so much damage to our living room. They were the best and the cost was fair.
Sorry to disagree, but I have had a different experience. Lost about 25% of my back roof from Irma, fortunately the underlayment is intact and no leaks. After the roofing company the insurance co. assigned told me it would be 5 months, I called Sacks, who, had installed the original roof 4 years ago. They apologized for a delay, and told me it would be 3 weeks. I waited 8 weeks and called them to find out where I was on their list. They informed me there is no list, they just gave names to their roofers. They in turn call when they are "on their way" and give an estimate and do the work all at once. If you missed the call, they don't call back, just cross you off their list. So I have no way of knowing if they plan on coming or not, and neither does their own office. IMHO, a pretty poor way to do business.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:09 AM

I called Sack Roofing after getting a $500. estimate from Batterbee to see if I was still on their list. Tim Snyder came within an hour with shingles needed ( I was going to have to buy the whole bundle from Batterbee). He did repairs needed and cleaned out my gutters for $200. Was very professional and did the job on this coldest windy day we have had. Thank you Tim. When we need a new roof Sacks has the job.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb2458 View Post
I called Sack Roofing after getting a $500. estimate from Batterbee to see if I was still on their list. Tim Snyder came within an hour with shingles needed ( I was going to have to buy the whole bundle from Batterbee). He did repairs needed and cleaned out my gutters for $200. Was very professional and did the job on this coldest windy day we have had. Thank you Tim. When we need a new roof Sacks has the job.
When was this??????
Closed Thread

Tags
price, rep, $500, roofer, shingles

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.