Roofing Companies

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2020, 06:44 AM

Eustis just did our roof. Terrific job. We are very impressed with them
Old 11-13-2020, 07:03 AM

McHale is the best. Have used them for repairs on my tile roof several times. Very fair pricing and prompt response.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We had three companies round to quote for our new roof and decided upon Eustis. Having it done in January so can't comment on quality of work.

We had considered aluminum, and ARC said it was okay as long as we went with the "shingle-look" as opposed to the sheets.

While it is true that most people's experience is that those providing home insurance locally need the roof to be under 20 years old, that is probably because almost everyone has a shingle roof. Talk to someone with an aluminum roof and the story may well be different. Likewise the banks, if you want to sell your home and the buyer needs a mortgage.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndlou3 View Post
It's not really the warranty it's shingle's disintegrate or break down after so many years in the hot sun and I don't think metal will.
"I don't think"
Old 11-13-2020, 07:33 AM

How did you know that your roof was one of those with the defective product? Did the original roofers have to replace, did you have to file with your insurance to pay, did Villages Warranty have to pay or did you? How long was the process from determination to completion?

Last edited by Fisherman; 11-13-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndlou3 View Post
How long did you have to wait to get your roof installed
They are busy, my wait time was about 4 weeks.
Many in Osceola Hills are having the defective underlayment removed.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:36 AM

We used Sack Roofing last week, did an outstanding job.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:43 AM

How did you know that your roof was one of those with the defective product? Did the original roofers have to replace, did you have to file with your insurance to pay, did Villages Warranty have to pay or did you? How long was the process from determination to completion?
Old 11-13-2020, 07:45 AM

There is an alternative to replacing your roof. I have a nine-year-old home with the original roof. There were a lot of granules coming off the roof, going into our pool. I had the roof sealed by Anchor Coatings, A local company out of Leesburg. The owner told me if I sealed my roof the granules would not come off and I would never have to replace the shingles. I was skeptical. The owner invited me to view his office in Leesburg. This building was built in 1975 and still has the original three tab shingle, which has been sealed over the years. Now, after seeing his roof and the results of having my roof sealed, I am a firm believer in roof sealing. Please let me know if you would like more details.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
With the defective Tamko underlayment, the time period for breakdown is roughly 3-6 years. You’ll notice tar like substance appearing in your roof valleys. Southern side with more direct sun breaks down quicker. Contact home warranty, they will give you information about Tamko and Tamko will give you procedure to file a claim with Tamko. The entire process was about 8 weeks. You will jump through many hoops, but Tamko is standing behind their warranty. Good luck!
Old 11-13-2020, 08:14 AM

Metal roofing is very load in the house when it rains and it rains a lot in Florida
Old 11-13-2020, 08:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolman44 View Post
I just had McHale roofing do a complete removal and install because of defective underlayment from Tamko. Nathan from McHale was excellent to work with, no issues, crew was superb, excellent cleanup. They use CertainTeed roofing products 👍👍👍
I would not hesitate to hire them again!
Ditto. McHale actually came in under our insurance estimate, which didn't save me any money since I just paid the deductible. My roof was 21 years old. Nice job except that I find nails in my driveway and in my gutters months after the job was finished. Get them to do a magnetic sweep of the roof, all gutters, yard and DRIVEWAY/WALKWAYS before they get paid. Putting a mechanics lean on your house until they get paid is common practice in Florida.

Beware of Orlando roofers that want you to sign an AGREEMENT first so they can "fight for you" with your insurance adjuster. The fine print says, 'if you don't use us in the end, you still owe us 20% of the entire job value for our time and effort'. They really don't give you a firm quote either. BEWARE AND STAY AWAY!

Use local roofers.

Skip
Old 11-13-2020, 08:35 AM

Most of these companies hire the crews - they are marketing companies.
Hope the following information helps.
If the roofing company you choose understands these things - you're likely in good shape!
If they say they use IKO shingles - they would be off my list.
Owens Corning, Certainteed or GAF would all be good.

Roofing – Facts You Should Know – For Your Best and Safest Choice
1) Told “ROOFER” Did A Great Job! … beware; anybody saying “they just finished and did a great job” doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Most workmanship defects do not show up until at least a year – typically years 3-5.
2) Roofer Recommended – Use My Name… these people are likely getting a $200 kick back from the roofer if you do that.
3) Quick Facts About Roofs
a. BBB (Better Business Bureau) … roofing is one of the biggest complaint areas
b. Warranty… why are manufacturer warranties so long? Because they know 9 out of 10 roofs are void the day they’re installed; scary, 99% of roofers don’t even know that.
c. Roof Performance… what is most important is underneath the shingle – what you don’t see. So – most roofers cut corners there to make money – because you wouldn’t know.
d. Insurance Claims… get three bids? Frankly, that is often ridiculous. Insurance is hoping that you’ll get three bids – choose the cheapest – and they’re off easy. Reality is – if you allow the roofer to negotiate on your behalf – they get whatever price they can justify to insurance – even if the quote to you was significantly lower. Lesson – sign up the BEST ROOFER – not the cheapest!
e. Contractors… almost every contractor in The Villages is a marketing company. The crews doing the work are subcontractors. So – even if they show you certifications, insurance, etc., it is basically crap – because the liability (and quality) is based on the crew. Since these marketing contractors (industry calls them “storm chasers” – that follow the wind and hail – they are off to the next storm – and don’t stand behind their warranties anyway. Their salespeople are NICE - make you FEEL GREAT – and make well over hundred thousand with this sales approach.
4) Some Things I Look/Ask For – Roofs I’ve Helped With:
a. Quality Shingle… avoid IKO, TAMKO, ATLAS (they are not great at honoring their warranties); acceptable is Owens Corning (but it is thin – not as attractive – less dimension); Best are CertainTeed (heavy) and GAF (great technology).
b. Starter Strip… insist it is a “pro grade” – not a common 3 -tab flipped over. And – make sure it is at BOTH the eave and rake edges. The eave and rake get the most wind uplift; the pro grade starter strip provides superior wind resistance.
c. Underlayment. Use synthetics; do not use the common paper (i.e. 15 or 30 lbs. felt)
d. Current Insurance… some contractors pay the first month, and keep using a defunct insurance policy as evidence. Not real common – but when it happens – can be a BIG RISK. (example I know about: Lenox Fine China got fine $6 million – years ago in this situation – when somebody fell of their roof – and the contractor used this insurance scam.)
e. Leak Barrier… some call it “ice and water shield. Make sure it is at ALL vulnerable areas including the valley and around all penetrations. These are “self-healing membranes” and when the house does a slight shift (all homes do), the roof will stay watertight.
f. Metal Flashing… make sure they do not “re-use” the old stuff. You want it custom fit with new metal.
g. Ridge Shingle… do not allow cheap 3 – tab which is common – you want a Pro Grade ridge shingle. When you don’t, you diminish your roof to a 20-year warranty essentially.
h. Fastening… two issues: 1) if they don’t check the air pressure, nails can be too deep (causes tears) or not deep enough (creates holes). MORE importantly, are they keeping the nails INSIDE THE NAIL ZONE. If not, more vulnerable to wind blow off.
i. Wind Mitigation Certification… get it; it can lower your homeowner’s insurance by over a $100 per year.
j. Clean Up… including the gutters. Ideally, have them use a magnet sweeper for the lawn and shrubs to make sure none dropped.
k. Debris Capture… ideally directly from the roof into the container. When they drop and gather in wheel barrels, often nails get lose and can cause safety issues later.
l. Ridge Vent… make sure it is on “all ridges” that are over heated spaces and also make sure it extends to at most 18 inches from each edge. Lots of contractor’s cheat – save money by not extending the vent to the full length. The risk is not enough ventilation, which results in these common issues:
i. Voided Warranty… not enough “exhaust” at the ridge to meet code.
ii. Health Risks… by not creating air flow, warm/moist are is trapped in the attic. The recipe for mold is warm moist air in a dark environment with organic material.
iii. High Energy Costs… 2% moisture in attic ventilation reduces the effectiveness by 1/3
iv. Roof Durability… if the deck (under the shingles) gets too hot, the shingles “fry” out – in Florida, typically lasts about 13 – 18 years max.
m. Hip Roof?... they typically have only a small area of ridge. Therefore, highly recommend a few solar powered vents to assure “exhaust” ventilation.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:31 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default roof

Quote:
I just had McHale roofing do a complete removal and install because of defective underlayment from Tamko. Nathan from McHale was excellent to work with, no issues, crew was superb, excellent cleanup. They use CertainTeed roofing products 👍👍👍
How large the house & the cost?
Old 11-13-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Agree! McHale is one of the best companies we worked with in our time in The Villages.
Even did a small repair for free on the old roof before we needed a new one.
Closed Thread

Tags
roofing, companies, metal, roof, lightening

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.