Satellite and Internet Options

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 AM

I live in Buttonwood & have DirectTV (since July) the only time I have had signal disruption was during hard rain last week and it was only about a minute at the most. I am always recording on the DVR and when I played back whatever was recording it had like a freeze moment, but it continued to tape the remainder of the show.
My internet is with Comcast. When I moved here I kept getting the runaround about the bundling with DirectTV and something about all the wires not being run out here at the time, so I just went with comcast.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Sage

good to know about the DVR with Direct. I'll keep that in mind.

Was it about $45 just for comcast internet?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:02 AM

Russ,

When the Century Link technician installed our local landline telephone service he told me that the Village of St. Charles was the last village that was wired with copper. All of the newer villages are wired with fiber optics. I guess all of the service providers have the capability to use the fiber optics. I wouldn't have a clue as to how they do it. I just wish we had it so that we could take advantage of new technologies that will be developed in the future. I'll swap you some copper wire for some fiber optics.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:08 AM

I got their fastest internet (don't ask me what it is) and phone and it is around $80 (for about $10 more I think I could have had their lowest price bundle, but I already had DirectTV.
If anyone connects to DirectTV I can give you a card to save $100 on your first year (saves me a $100 too).
This is the first time I have had satellite over cable, it is much less expensive for many more channels. And for $3 a month get full house DVR where you can tape in one room and watch in any tv in your home.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj1213 View Post
And for $3 a month get full house DVR where you can tape in one room and watch in any tv in your home.
good option!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardSims View Post
Russ,

When the Century Link technician installed our local landline telephone service he told me that the Village of St. Charles was the last village that was wired with copper. All of the newer villages are wired with fiber optics. I guess all of the service providers have the capability to use the fiber optics. I wouldn't have a clue as to how they do it. I just wish we had it so that we could take advantage of new technologies that will be developed in the future. I'll swap you some copper wire for some fiber optics.
Thanks - I was thinking more about a provider using the fiber like FIOS. Fiber is only good if it is straight fiber to fiber like a FIOS. If cooper is involved in any stage of the flight then the bandwidth is reduced. This is the main reason why Comcast is limited in number of HD channels it can offer. If I find a good online explanation of total/carry bandwidth I'll provide.

Last edited by Russ_Boston; 11-07-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.