Screening on Garage doors. Please educate me

Old 02-26-2024, 08:43 AM
Default Screening on Garage doors. Please educate me

We see various types of screening on garage doors. Some look like they kind of fold to the side some look like curtains. This is a new concept to us. DH loves working in the garage..is screening worth the expense? We are just curious about this..do you have it installed?
Old 02-26-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesandPat View Post
We see various types of screening on garage doors. Some look like they kind of fold to the side some look like curtains. This is a new concept to us. DH loves working in the garage..is screening worth the expense? We are just curious about this..do you have it installed?
We have it and it is definitely worth it to us...... YMMV. We have the 4 section sliders and love them. Had them installed nearly 20 years ago.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

I work in the garage all the time, and no screens, we also have a NORTH facing garage if it was West facing, I would probably have the screens, and then in White color
Old 02-26-2024, 10:02 AM
Default Watch door clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesandPat View Post
We don't have one. A relative had one but it reduced the amount of vertical door clearance by a few inches which prevented them from pulling their SUV into the garage. For that reason, they remove the screen. I would also watch for the horizontal clearance.
You may want to consider a garage fan instead that is installed in the garage ceiling that sucks air from the garage into the attack. We have one of these but the previous owner did not put it on a switch so I have to get on a step stool to plug it in when I want to use it. There are two small screened vents in the garage door to allow for air intake. The fan does move quite a bit of air.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Some garages gets real hot in summers. Some use screens, sliding or roll up. Some have vents in lower portion of garage door on each side. Some air condition their garage. Depends on what you plan on doing in garage or it you’re even here during May through October The hot humid months? For most situations vents seems to work, creates air flow. On older houses the garage vented to attic creating up flow or down flow depending on temperature and wind. Roll up screen work best in evenings you can leave garage door up still have somewhat secure garage and cooler air cools off garage faster and keeps it cooler longer in mornings. Also some us window fans to pull cooler air in?
Old 02-26-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Some garages gets real hot in summers. Some use screens, sliding or roll up. Some have vents in lower portion of garage door on each side. Some air condition their garage. Depends on what you plan on doing in garage or it you’re even here during May through October The hot humid months? For most situations vents seems to work, creates air flow. On older houses the garage vented to attic creating up flow or down flow depending on temperature and wind. Roll up screen work best in evenings you can leave garage door up still have somewhat secure garage and cooler air cools off garage faster and keeps it cooler longer in mornings. Also some us window fans to pull cooler air in?
That does lead to another question. We have two windows in the garage. I am sure windows a/cs are not allowed but are portable a/c where you put a vent in the window ..are they allowed?
Old 03-01-2024, 07:04 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Cool breeze roll screens

Cool Breeze roll screens, retractable screen doors, interior motorized shades,privacy-hurricane shutters and awning.
We manufacture our products in Odessa, Fl and have the Longest warranty,quality and service in the industry.
888-896-8935
coolbreezerollscreens@Yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1709295875016.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	103146   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	42398.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	103147   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	41838.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	103148   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	40802.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	103149  
888-896-8935
coolbreezerollscreens@yahoo.com
http://www.talkofthevillages.com/
http://www.coolbreezeincorporated.com/
www.facebook.com/coolbreeze.screens
Old 03-01-2024, 07:53 PM

We have the slider type screens for our garage. And what I really like about them is it keeps out critters, anoles, and snakes while allowing me to work in the garage. And since the slider types allow you to open any of the panels, you can keep the ends closed so that the critters won't typically come in while you are going in or out. So YES, I'm really glad we have them.

A lot of people say they like the roll up type because they don't have to get out of the car to open the screens, but I usually leave the panels pushed to the side and just open/close the garage door with the remote when I'm in the car or the cart.

Tags
screening, garage, doors, curious, expense

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.