Seco

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2019, 12:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Seco

Just noticed on my monthly bill that standing charge has gone up from $20 per month to $0.83 per day which, on average, is $25.25 per month.

I don't recall receiving notice of this 26% increase (effective end of August, I think) but maybe I just missed it
Old 02-22-2019, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

My August 2018 bill reads: "As of Sept 1 residential customer charge will be calculated at 83 cents per day. Read details in SECO News."
Old 02-23-2019, 07:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
My August 2018 bill reads: "As of Sept 1 residential customer charge will be calculated at 83 cents per day. Read details in SECO News."
Thank you, EdFNJ

I went paperless so don't get SECO News. Will try to find it on-line.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The finesse of advising the rate as cents per day satisfies the legal requirement you have been notified.....without having to state that they have raised the rate.
Sorta tells one how open and honest a service provider is or is not.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The finesse of advising the rate as cents per day satisfies the legal requirement you have been notified.....without having to state that they have raised the rate. Sorta tells one how open and honest a service provider is or is not.
They make such a big deal about the "hot bucks" they hand back, then ding you for twice that amount without making quite so much noise about it.

Once storage batteries come down in price I shall put up solar panels and go "off grid".
Old 02-23-2019, 10:29 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The finesse of advising the rate as cents per day satisfies the legal requirement you have been notified.....without having to state that they have raised the rate.
Sorta tells one how open and honest a service provider is or is not.
Openness and honesty are not the cornerstones of a monopoly.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
They make such a big deal about the "hot bucks" they hand back, then ding you for twice that amount without making quite so much noise about it.

Once storage batteries come down in price I shall put up solar panels and go "off grid".
If your intent is to save money - very few of us will live long enough to recoup the investment of solar panels even if/when storage batteries came down in price. If the intent is to become more energy efficient then make the change as soon as possible which will also help with recouping your investment.

How Much Do Solar Panels Cost to Install? | Solar Power Authority
Old 02-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Openness and honesty are not the cornerstones of a monopoly.
From the SECO web site:

SECO VALUES
Commitment to the Cooperative Purpose | Honesty & Integrity | Safety | Strong Work Ethic | Teamwork | Open Communication

They are a Co-op and we are members. The next members meeting is March 23,2019. Guess I'll see you all there.

More:
SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric cooperative serving over 200,000 families and businesses across seven counties in Central Florida, making SECO the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the seventh largest in the nation. One of the most important distinctions between other types of utilities and SECO is that we are member owned.

Our members have a voice in the co-op’s decision-making process. They elect a nine-member Board of Trustees, who meet monthly to monitor the financial status of the Cooperative and make policy decisions in the best interest of the membership.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
If the intent is to become more energy efficient then make the change as soon as possible which will also help with recouping your investment.
I agree. But we're going to need a new roof soon so will wait for that to be done first.

Hoping Tesla tiles will be available here by then :-)
Old 02-23-2019, 02:35 PM
Location: Lima,OH;St.Paul,MN;Vallejo,CA;Pennsacola,FL;Fremont,OH,Naperville,IL,Sylvania,OH,Fernandina

Why are you worrying about solar panels? The world is going to end in 12 years anyway.

Henry A. Kissinger
Old 02-24-2019, 07:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
You might consider a whole house energy monitor. The run a couple of hundred. You will get data on what it actually costs to operate electric devices in your home. Often you get info down to the component level for larger appliances.

Which the insight you can make informed decisions. We saved 22% with zero quality of life impact. You can even use the monitor to determine if solar will make sense for you. The data is certainly better than random advise from strangers on a forum. Sense energy monitor is one such unit, there are others as well.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you, EdFNJ

I went paperless so don't get SECO News. Will try to find it on-line.

I am paperless too. The "SECO NEWS" is on their website which is linked to on their electronic bill every month. I always look at all my "paperless" bills online.

SECO News – SECO Energy
Old 02-24-2019, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:

You'll be pushing up daisies long before you amortize the costs of a system like that.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
You might consider a whole house energy monitor. The run a couple of hundred. You will get data on what it actually costs to operate electric devices in your home. Often you get info down to the component level for larger appliances.

Which the insight you can make informed decisions. We saved 22% with zero quality of life impact. You can even use the monitor to determine if solar will make sense for you. The data is certainly better than random advise from strangers on a forum. Sense energy monitor is one such unit, there are others as well.
Do you recommend a certain whole house energy monitor? This sounds interesting to me... thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2019, 09:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
Do you recommend a certain whole house energy monitor? This sounds interesting to me... thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

I knew someone who had this and loved it: Home - Sense.com No personal experience. There is privacy issues because all your data is sent to their servers but what else is new?
Closed Thread

Tags
month, recall, 26%, receiving, notice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.