Solar Attic Fan

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Gold member

Our home inspector said that the solar fans just exhaust the air that is being pulled in from the nearest roof peak vent. So the net effect is minimal. Not worth the cost.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post
Jimbo did a good job of explaining how a solar tube works. As for the cost, the solar guys want $459 + permit for Sumter County for a 14 inch tube installed. The want $670 for a 22 watt solar attic fan. I'm gonna skip the fan for now.

I have two in my kitchen/living room area, the new one will go in the guest bathroom because there's no window.
Installed one large 2000 cfm solar fan to keep air moving in the attic. The radiant heat barrier does the trick but I just wanted to have constant air movement as moisture can still accumulate.

It lowered the attic temp even more and I like the fact I can look up and see it working. Can feel it also.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:44 AM
Sage

The radiant heat barrier is better investment if you want to try that first, you don't need to install it on any attic spaces that face north and don't get the sun.

I think our electric company installs it but if you get a quote ask that it not go on the north to save a few $$.

You also can diy at HD for $150-200, simple staple to underside of the roof.

I think the other poster had an undersized fan. They have to lower temps
Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I remember a few months ago at one of the craft shows at LSL the Solar Guys were offering the solar tubes at 3 for $1200, you might ask them about that.

As far as cooling the attic, the best thing we did was put a screen on our garage door about a month ago. I now crack the attic steps open about a foot and since then we raised our A/C thermostat inside our house a whole degree.
Hello John,

I already have two solar tubes and only need one more. The price I got is an "event" price because the Solar Guys are having some sort of a show this week.

I have a screen on the garage and I have a stick holding the attic stairs opened a little. There is an air pull from the garage this way.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Default solar tube

We had both a solar tube and fan installed about 5yrs ago. They are great. The fan runs with the sun, not a thermostat. The solar tube is great because it lights up a room without turning on the lights. Biggest regret is that We only installed one tube.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Sage

I think U save about $50 in electric a year not turning the light on in that same room.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
My guess is that solar fans, while helpfull, do not have the air moving capacity of a wired fan. A wired fan is much cheaper and probably doesn't cost that much to operate.
I will agree that electric attic vent fans are more powerful, but they are loud, consume expensive electricity, and typically run far into the evening/early AM. I know that my Solatube Solar Star solar fans, which I used to replace my electric fans, are whisper quiet and have already paid for themselves. I know the Solar Star fans have a proven track record of highly efficient operation with little/no maintenance issues.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:05 AM

A key benefit to consider when looking at tubular skylights/sun tunnels is the quality of life improvements that they can provide. Even 'daylight' light bulbs have an off color. The Solatube Daylighting Systems I have (and I have 4 in my home) provide absolutely crystal clear daylight. The other brands that are found in big box stores have different, less reflective surfaces that absorb certain parts of the spectrum as the light travels down the tube. The results with those are that the light that is brought into your home will have either a yellow/orange tint or a blue/gray tint, depending on which off-brand you purchase. I chose the Solatube brand because of the quality of light that they bring into my home. Also, the invented the tubular skylight over 20 years ago and hold patents on pretty much ever part of their system - prisms in the roof dome, the 99.7% reflective surface inside the tube, and the 7 different ceiling fixtures offered. I have NEVER regretted my choice.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Default Solar Attic Fans Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
First check the CFM (cubic feet per minute it pushes) of the unit, I think U need about 1000-1500 to make a difference, in electric they cost about $100 plus install.

This one is 1000 cfm at HD for $270

Nice thing is the panels can be set to suns angle, U do not want a flat top unit.

The Villages Florida

It should face due south about 180 degrees.

this is what you don't want

The Villages Florida
There is a misperception that the solar attic fans with adjustable panels are the best or work better than other. Not so. My Solar Star solar attic fans (by Solatube) have a static panel mounted into the fan body; however, Solatube has several roof flashings to choose from so that the fan can be mounted for optimal operation. By not having flimsy support legs for their solar panel, Solatube eliminated a potential weak point that could fail. Everyone has an opinion on this topic, but I can say from personal experience that my Solar Star fans have made a HUGE difference in my home with direct impacts to reducing my summertime electric consumption and bills to the power company. Also, the 30% federal tax credit savings were quite a nice bit of money.

The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida

Last edited by tambo100; 07-03-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Forgot to include photos.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

If you are building, would this be an option thru TV? Or is it necessary to have another company do this for you as an after item addition? Who would you suggest do the installation?

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 07-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Sage

Please keep in mind not all installers understand solar, in this area these are the optimum angles of any panel, ideal is to adjust 4 times a year but we are speaking of summer attic fans here.

Figures shown in degrees from vertical in red are the hot months
Jan 46°
Feb 54°
Mar 62°
Apr 70°
May 78°
June 86°
Jul 78
Aug 70°
Sep 62°
Oct 54°

Nov 46°
Dec 38°

In June the panel is almost flat & Oct 54, or 70° is a good average if fixed.

So if your installer has a protractor it is simple to figure.

And it needs to be a south facing part of the roof.

.I didn't know they had fixed mounts for different angles, nice if done correctly?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Gold member
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
First check the CFM (cubic feet per minute it pushes) of the unit, I think U need about 1000-1500 to make a difference, in electric they cost about $100 plus install.

This one is 1000 cfm at HD for $270

Nice thing is the panels can be set to suns angle, U do not want a flat top unit.

The Villages Florida

It should face due south about 180 degrees.

this is what you don't want

The Villages Florida
Jimbo Thanks for the great informatin you have provided on this site. It is helpfull to me and I know to others also.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambo100 View Post
There is a misperception that the solar attic fans with adjustable panels are the best or work better than other. Not so. My Solar Star solar attic fans (by Solatube) have a static panel mounted into the fan body; however, Solatube has several roof flashings to choose from so that the fan can be mounted for optimal operation. By not having flimsy support legs for their solar panel, Solatube eliminated a potential weak point that could fail. Everyone has an opinion on this topic, but I can say from personal experience that my Solar Star fans have made a HUGE difference in my home with direct impacts to reducing my summertime electric consumption and bills to the power company. Also, the 30% federal tax credit savings were quite a nice bit of money.

The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
I agree. The argument about drawing air from the near bye vent so the solar fan is a waste of money is not valid either. And this guy is/was a home inspector? A study in thermal dynamics works better. Or Hot air rises.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
I agree. The argument about drawing air from the near bye vent so the solar fan is a waste of money is not valid either. And this guy is/was a home inspector? A study in thermal dynamics works better. Or Hot air rises.
Thanks Car, first response to my post. He was a highly recommended inspector on TOTV, but I kinda hope that he is mistaken about the fans. I want to cool the attic, and particularly to cool the garage for the workshop.

Also, do you think that the radiant heat barrier can be as effective if installed in an existing home? It looks to me that there are many obstacles and inaccessible spots up there.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Also, do you think that the radiant heat barrier can be as effective if installed in an existing home? It looks to me that there are many obstacles and inaccessible spots up there.
Yes it should be, it can be stapled across the roof rafters or between them, just think of them as reflector.

Sold at HD

The Villages Florida

Easy DIY for less than $200

The Villages Florida

Last edited by jimbo2012; 07-04-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: .
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.