Solar fans now or later?

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Veteran member
Default Solar fans now or later?

After reading numerous posts about solar fans, we've decided we should have them. The question is, do we need them now, even though we won't be moving in for a year or so? We installed a de-humidistat, so we supposedly aren't using the air conditioning as much, although I won't know until I get my next electric bill. Can anyone tell me what benefits we might get by installing now as opposed to waiting, since we won't be there to monitor any problems. Has anyone had a moisture problem in the attic (stains on ceilings?) or any other problems before installing a fan and have that problem solved? Who would you recommend, Solar Guys, Solar Lights and More, or someone else? And finally, should i even consider standard electric?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
After reading numerous posts about solar fans, we've decided we should have them. The question is, do we need them now, even though we won't be moving in for a year or so? We installed a de-humidistat, so we supposedly aren't using the air conditioning as much, although I won't know until I get my next electric bill. Can anyone tell me what benefits we might get by installing now as opposed to waiting, since we won't be there to monitor any problems. Has anyone had a moisture problem in the attic (stains on ceilings?) or any other problems before installing a fan and have that problem solved? Who would you recommend, Solar Guys, Solar Lights and More, or someone else? And finally, should i even consider standard electric?
We had 2 installed by Solar Guys, very professional and neat. $800+ but the investment should pay for itself over time. We're part timer's but where there 1/2 of July moving in and electric bill was $113. I'm assuming fans helped with A/C usage.
Skip 2
Old 08-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MySue View Post
We had 2 installed by Solar Guys, very professional and neat. $800+ but the investment should pay for itself over time. We're part timer's but where there 1/2 of July moving in and electric bill was $113. I'm assuming fans helped with A/C usage.
Skip 2
Also had two installed as well as their garage exhaust fan. Stll remains to be seen how much we'll save on electric.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I see no reason to wait, we used the Solar Guys and they did an excellent job....gn
Old 08-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Banned
Default Don't Waste your Money.

These houses, if it is relatively new, are all designed with ridge vents, mushroom vents and sofit vents. This allows the attic to vent naturally. Hot air rises, exits the high ridge and mushroom vents while relatively cooler/fresh air comes in through the sofit. By design the air is exchanged in the attic. If you save 5 bucks a month with a powered roof vent I think you would be doing really good. Payback would take forever. Besides by the time they payback the vents would most likely be non functional or the installer out of business. I doubt you would even notice when they stop running. Keep in mind they don't work at night, no sun. They don't do much early in the morning or late in the afternnon, again no direct sun. A wind powered turbine vent would really do better but they are cheap and not as green sounding so no company is going to market a wind turbine.

We had solar vents on our boat hatches. They did a great job clearing the air in the boat but it is a really small area with no natural ventilation compared to a house. Half of the vents were exhausting air and the other half were supplying air. Thats how we got air esxchange in the boat. The bad news they normally had to be replaced every 4 to 5 years due to deterioration or motor burn out.

It's a great marketing ploy, sounds great but not very efficient.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.