Has Anyone Tried The "Corner Seafood Vendors"?

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Has Anyone Tried The "Corner Seafood Vendors"?

If there's anything that has surprised me since moving to TV, it's the dearth of high quality seafood. Yeah, I know Publix has a seafood department, but I mean something a tad fresher and more attractive than that.

One frequently sees people under umbrellas with a cooler or two selling "fresh" seafood on corners around TV. There's often a guy just west of Paulie's Liquors on 466, east of TV. I've seen others along 301 , west of TV. I even stopped at a couple to ask about their shrimp, crabs, etc. One said it was "same day fresh" from the Keys, delivered to him by his boat captain/supplier. His looked fresh. Another at the corner of 466 and 301 had a similar story, but the seafood was obviously frozen.

Has anyone tried these seafood vendors? Good results or bad? Any other suggestions for good fish mongers in the area?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Has Anyone Tried The "Corner Seafood Vendors"?

I watch the "Good Eats" show on the Food channel. They say you should stay as far away from them as you can!! You do not know how long the seafood has sat there, where it is from, when it was caught or processed. It definitely has not been kept cold enough for what ever time you think and how/when it was shipped.

After watching the one on that particular subject, I swear to go to a seafood shop or the local grocery store.

One way you can tell if fish is fresh is to smell it - it should not smell like fish.

There was a Shoprite in NJ that I used to got to. Sometimes you passed the fish area and had to hold your breath.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned

One thing that living in FL for a quarter-century has taught me - don't buy seafood from a roadside vendor unless the vendor and you belong to the same "old boy" circle of friends.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:09 PM

I have gotten some seafood from the streetside vendors and have had no ploblem with it to daye. I always go there as early in the day as I can to buy ilt from them. I wouldn't wait untill afternoon to buy from them. For the most part I go out with the Deep Sea Fishing Club or bult seafood at Albertsons.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Veteran member

We've had excellent experiences with the vendor in front of Pauly's. I always do the "smell test" and without exception the fish has been fresh and just outstanding! Same with the Shrimp and the Stone Crab claws when they were in season. Had some fish from Publix the other day that just smelled VERY fishy and I lost my appetite. We got spoiled in CT when the fish truck from Maine came down and, for years, puchased all our fish from them. One thing to look for is lots of ice, smell the fish, and if it is ok..go with it.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 AM

Try the vendor on 441 south of Marion Market, Ithink he`s called Pablo`s, and is there Friday and Sat. morning. I`ve been going there for two years with great sucess with Grouper, Scallops, and Shrimp. The fish taste great and is always fresh.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Veteran member

Kilowatt: I've passed by Pablo's. Do they really carry hardshell blue crabs?
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 09-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Veteran member

If you want hardshell blues, exit the Villages on Buena Vista, hang a right, go down to 462, take it to 301, and then hook a left on 462 again...you will see a sign for "John's blue crabs"........This guy is a trip but he will make an effort to sort for males, give you minimum females, and the crabs are nice size..........
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 09-09-2007, 03:45 PM

When the newly proposed "Fresh Market" grocery store opens you'll have your wish,we had one in Naples,Fl. from where we moved,not only is it expertly presented but also wrapped in ice as to maintain freshness until you get home,it's way above your standard Publics.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Veteran member

:bigthumbsup:Thanks jt!
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 AM

John, my wife does all the shopping, she thought Pablo`s had the hardshell crabs but wasn`t 100% positive since we don`t eat them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.