Staining Kitchen Cabinets

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran member
Default Staining Kitchen Cabinets

Looking for someone to stain our cabinets darker. If you have done this who do you recommend?
Old 12-21-2017, 05:14 PM

Don't know if you have the time or energy to do it yourself but you can save a few thousand if you do. I'm a woman and did my entire huge kitchen 3 years ago up north all by myself for about 35.00 using General's Finishes stain in Java for a beautiful dark finish. Super easy though a little time consuming because of the dry time...took 3 days total. Just use a sponge paint brush and brush it on and it comes out perfect...honest. One small can of it will do a designer home kitchen easily. I originally just got it for a vanity in the guest bathroom and was so incredibly pleased that I decided to do the kitchen. No sanding required either, just a VERY light scuff. I would do it again here but this time I want to go white. Something to think about.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,159 Times in 2,252 Posts

OP, depending on your cabinets you may have very limited options. If the cabinets are solid wood, you could have these stripped ($$$), and then restrained ($$$), outcome will depend on how well the original finish was removed, and may be blotchy. If your cabinets are veneer, stripping is probably out as the process may damage or loosen the veneer. Since you want darker cabinets, the solution mentioned above or the MiniWax stain and finish products may work well. Another option would be just to have the existing cabinets refaced ($$$$). I know there are people that paint cabinets, and there have been several threads about recommendations for this service. A search of this site should get you to these threads, and these people may also offer staining as well as painting.
Good luck with your project.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Veteran member

Thank you both. I’ve seen online the Java Stain but I’m hesitant to try it myself.
The stripping them first idea is not for me. They are solid wood in great shape but I would prefer them a little darker.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,159 Times in 2,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
Thank you both. I’ve seen online the Java Stain but I’m hesitant to try it myself.
The stripping them first idea is not for me. They are solid wood in great shape but I would prefer them a little darker.
HimandMe, if you just want a little darker, the Minwax products may work very well. I no longer have my sprayers, but spraying would probably provide the most even coverage. Since you are talking about kitchen cabinets, over spray, etc will be a big concern. A high quality brush (2 inch) for oil based paints would also work well.
Here is my idea, you could take out a shelf or 2, and then try re-staining the BOTTOM for the shelf. I have done this before, send me a PM if you are interested. I could come over and give you some ideas, but right now I am quite busy, and I could not take on a project this large.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Reading this thread, I just need to comment that, if all you want is for the cabinets to be a little darker, why not leave them alone? No matter what you do, it will be a lot of effort for not much benefit.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
My cabinets were solid wood as well. There is NO STRIPPING involved with the Java stain. A very, very light scuff...and I do mean light. That part took me next to no time. It came out so fabulous that I'm almost talking myself into doing it again here too instead of going white. I was terrified to do it but I can't even begin to tell you how perfect it came out! When we sold our house my realtor told us that the kitchen was the highlight of the house. I just tried to upload a pic but I can't seem to figure it out. Seriously, for 35.00 (and that one can will do your whole kitchen) you can't go wrong. Try it on a piece of plywood first if if you're nervous. I used 2 coats...oh and get the sealer too. That's one coat...and another 35.00 I think.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:01 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Have you considered glazing? You could always do a test in an inconspicuous place like inside one of the doors.

How to Glaze Wood: DIY Wood Finishing Using Gel Stains
Closed Thread

Tags
cabinets, recommend, kitchen, staining, stain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.