Stay away from Suntrust Bank

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2021, 09:21 PM
Default Stay away from Suntrust Bank

My sick 87 yr old father needed some cash so he wrote me a check. I took it to the branch on 466 and was told it would cost 7$ to cash it bc I didnt have an account there! WTH? He's changing banks asap. There's been other issues with suntrust but this one takes the cake.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoyne77 View Post
My sick 87 yr old father needed some cash so he wrote me a check. I took it to the branch on 466 and was told it would cost 7$ to cash it bc I didnt have an account there! WTH? He's changing banks asap. There's been other issues with suntrust but this one takes the cake.
Why didn't you take it to your own bank, generally if you have an account at a bank, they will cash your checks immediately if you have enough funds in your account already, they're protected. You go to a bank with no account, they don't know you from Adam. You could of been the cleaning lady and stole the owner's checkbook, stuff like that goes on around TV all the time.

I've had account with Suntrust since 2005. First in Maryland and then down here since 2011. Never had a problem. They have also now merged with BB&T, so you can use the BB&T ATM's at the Colony branch and soon you'll be able to bank at BB&T. Suntrust and BB&T will be renamed Truist Bank.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-09-2021, 09:43 PM

I agree with @John_W on comments about SunTrust/Truist Bank. Our parents banked with them for many years; we assumed their accounts with no difficulty (with needed legal documents of course) and anticipate a successful, long association with Truist.

It's unfortunate for the OP to be assessed the $7 "no-account" check cashing fee. Many years back, you could cash free-of-charge a check drawn on a bank, at that bank without needing an account yourself. But too many times crooks ruined for the OP and the rest of us. I think that's pretty much the rule at most banks now and don't see it changing unfortunately.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:48 PM

Hi, His bank is close. I just think its absurd to charge for cashing a check thats coming from their bank. Never did like that bank anyway, glad he's moving his money.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:50 PM

In the past I have cashed checks there, this is the first time they wanted to charge. I picked up my dad, went back and called the darn check for free. 🙄
Old 01-10-2021, 12:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:

Just love when banks charges you get you’re own money out.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
Suntrust is not much different from almost every other bank. They all have similar check cashing fees for non-customers. What bank did he move his money to that doesn't have a check cashing fee for non-customers?
Old 01-10-2021, 05:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Suntrust is not much different from almost every other bank. They all have similar check cashing fees for non-customers. What bank did he move his money to that doesn't have a check cashing fee for non-customers?
I'm confused. The OP was NOT a customer, but was the check drawn on Suntrust? If so, they HAVE to cash it, with proper ID. If I were the OP I would have stood in the bank lobby and yelled "What do you mean you don't have enough money to cash this check?!"---that would get their attention. I worked in a bank for 4 years during college, but that was in NY and the laws may have changed, but all banks were required to cash checks drawn on them. As to charging a fee, who knows anymore, but again it seems ridiculous that a bank can charge to cash its own check. When we got a person wanting to cash a check not drawn on us and by a non-customer, we would send them to the bank it was drawn on.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

When you open that new account get dad to add you to the account . Also get an ATM card and you won’t need permission to get cash for him
Old 01-10-2021, 06:17 AM

You might want to call around to various banks...Suntrust isn't the only one that does that. Regions did it to me when my daughter wrote me a check.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:21 AM
Default Check cashing fee

The relationship between a bank and its customers is a contractual relationship. It is not based on some sort of natural law, although it is regulated by statute. If the contract between the bank and the customer provides for a charge for cashing a check for a non-customer, then the charge is proper.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:24 AM

I don’t bank with Suntrust Bank, though I have had dealings with them. I had a loan through them once, and the gentleman who purchased our Motorhome, did his loan through Suntrust. We spent some time there while all the paperwork was being done and finalized. I was very impressed with their professionalism and how smoothly the process went. Except for the fact that I am so tightly entwined in the bank where I have banked forever, I would have changed banks.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I suggest using SunTrust’s ATM if he needs cash. It’s easier than cashing his check. I am assuming your dad will let you use his SunTrust ATM card and PIN to run his errand.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
So if the check was for $7. Then what?
Old 01-10-2021, 07:04 AM

Why would you post something like this?? You try and cash a check from your fathers bank which you do not have an account and you are upset about a small fee? If this is going to be a reoccurring problem perhaps you should open a free account in this bank. Why go through making your Dad change all of his banking because you cannot cash one of his checks????? Hmmmm something is not right here??????
Closed Thread

Tags
suntrust, cash, stay, wth, account

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.