Sunroom??

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2017, 08:39 AM
Gold member
Default Sunroom??

Has anyone had a Good experience adding on a Sunroom to the back of your home??
Old 05-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Platinum member

I had my lanai made into a sunroom. The company I used was Harbortown Homes. They can do whatever you want. It's a family business. Rick comes and gives estimate. If you decide to go with them, Mike comes out and goes over everything and gives you a timetable. There's no money up front--you get weekly invoices as work is done. They were pretty spot on with the start and finish times. Once they started someone was there almost every day. I had a sunroom done in the house I used to live in and it was a nightmare. This was a breeze. see my review under contracters.
Harbortown Homes 352-259-3379. I'm the third person in my neighborhood to use them--word spread fast about how good they are.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:27 PM
Gold member

OK. Will give them a call. Did u push out lanai and add all windows?? Do u enjoy it? Any recommendations?
Old 05-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
OK. Will give them a call. Did u push out lanai and add all windows?? Do u enjoy it? Any recommendations?
I did not push mine out but my neighbors pushed their's out 7 feet. another neighbor had them remodel master bedroom, make current lanai a permanent room and add a sunroom. All of us were happy with the work, the timetable, and communication.

I love it. My lanai is west facing and I could not use it most of the year. I had sliding windows done but it was too hot to use it. I kept trying to make it livable--coolaroo shades, portable air conditioner--nothing worked and I decided to go with the full enclosure with low E glass, totally insulated. I had them remove sliders that go to master bedroom which gives me more wall space. It looks great. All the subs were great. Now at the hottest point of the day, it's actually more comfortable than the rest of the villa.

They are the best!

harbortown

Last edited by Bonnevie; 05-16-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 05-17-2017, 09:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Hi: We enclosed our lanai. We chose to start the windows about 3 foot up. Then the windows are really tall. That way when people are looking in they don't see all of our chair legs and cords hanging like they would on a window all the way to the floor. We love it. It has added 350 sq ft to our 1550 sq ft home. It is wonderful to have.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Gold member

Want to add additional 25 ft to existing lanai, add cathedral ceiling or gable roof. Want real sunroom, not lanai enclosure. Called harbortown. They can't even come till middle of June. Other contractors??
Old 05-17-2017, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

When we purchased here in TV we settled on a home because of its location, it was not the home we wanted, but we knew we could work with it. We found a contractor, told him what we wanted to do and he drew up the plans. We ended up taking apart the kitchen and living areas and rearranging them to our preference. We took out the lanai, built up the floor, added on a 15 x 15 ft. room. The windows start about 3ft up from the floor and go to the ceiling, three sides are all windows. It is air conditioned and heated .... love this room, we basically live in it and have one of those "parlors" that never gets used now - I jokingly refer to it as the "library" because I do read in there!

When we were doing the work on the house the contractor wanted us to blow out the back of the home to add 30ft across the back and I really wish I had done that now. So whatever you do, make your addition bigger than you think you need.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-17-2017, 06:43 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
We had a sunroom added when we lived in Melbourne FL and deeply regretted not having AC put in.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Gold member

Thank you. Great tips!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Platinum member

Harbortown is worth waiting for. one of the subcontractors and I had a lengthy discussion on contractors in The Villages. He said he feels so sorry for some people. The contractor starts the job then nothing gets done or someone comes out and fiddles with something then no one for another prolonged period of time. Talked to someone last week who's contractor started in Oct. just got drywall this week. The subcontractor said he won't work for certain people unless he has as separate contract with the homeowner and has been close to placing leins because some don't pay him. He said Harbortown is top notch, pleasure to work with. Once they start, there's someone there everyday. So if you don't want to wait for them, beware of what others will tell you. Some promise a lot but don't deliver. Harbortown gives you an approximate start and stop date and they were right on. I had to wait for them to do my estimate, too. But estimate was done on March 16, but they were able to start in less than a month. I was given first-second week April as start date with month to completion. Been enjoying it since last Friday. Peace of mind means a lot and worth waiting for.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Gold member

What did u have done? Was it a Sunroom??
Old 05-23-2017, 03:52 PM

We recently added on to our lanai and had windows put in on all three sides. Demetri Homes did the work and I can not recommend them enough. They are also a family run business with a personal touch like I have never experienced with a contractor. This is the second major project they have done for us. Call Jim Arvanitis at 352 427 2787.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 05-23-2017, 08:39 PM
Gold member

OK. Will do. Tk u
Old 05-30-2017, 02:04 AM

I am also looking to extend our Lanai or make it into a full sunroom, I called T&D last week but they couldn't come out to take a look for a month.

If anyone has photos of their completed sunrooms they could post for inspiration and to show the finish they received from their contractors it would be appreciated.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Don't have Pics. Did use T&D for a Lanai/Sunroom conversion about 5 yrs ago and waited over two months. Well worth the wait. Excellent work and quality. No problems. They are not the cheapest price, but when using them I have peace of mind that I will get a good job and can trust them for any necessary call backs-have had none.

Tags
sunroom, back, home, adding, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.