AT&T Shell Game

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down AT&T Shell Game

I wanted to share this with TOTV in order to alert others to the alleged AT&T shell game. I visited the AT&T store in The Villages (Summerfield Store) in order to see what I could do to change my AT&T from a bundled Comcast with the Internet to AT&T phone and the $20 a month where you install a small box and attach it to your base AT&T in the house. Of course the Salesperson assured me it would only be $20. At the same time the Salesperson said they noticed I did not have a 2 year contract on my IPAD. Aah the start of the alleged shell game. He said if I signed up for the 2 yr contract I would receive a $100 credit. Heck, since I will have the IPad for at least 2 years it was a no brainer. Now go forward a couple of weeks and I receive my AT&T bill and in it was a $40 Activation Fee for the it would only cost $20 a month box and a $40 activation fee to process the $100 credit for signing a 2 year contract. I called the store to discuss with the Salesperson and of course he would not call back, I called the AT&T Customer Service and they said they understood and would give me a $25 credit against the IPad $40 charge. They are not even trying to hide the fact that we were ripped off and as we use to say were so brazen as to recognize I was only getting an $85 credit and that was that. Given where things stand I will stay for the 2 years but rest assured as soon as they are up I will move out of AT&T and I think all of this was an alleged shell game and meant to just add more greed to their policies. Regarding the $40 to activate the little box I will also look for other companies when the time comes since I am not sure what part of this was a rip off. Once in awhile a competitor will offer to pay out your balance to get you to move to them. I will watch more closely for that. Believe it or not this is not really a problem regarding money BUT the principle that I could be ripped off and could do nothing. Greed is just another form of abuse of the customers.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Gold member

They are all the same. I have been with Verizon for many years and the only time I ever go in a store is to get a new phone. Once your in the store the costs keep rising.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

We have always had aTT with no problems what so ever and have dealt with that store side it opened it's doors. On a rare occasion we had an issue with something they took care of it with no problem. Sorry you had a bad experience but that doesn't mean everyone will.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Gold member

You really need to bring a check list of questions to ask. May be even get the sales person to sign it! Cell phone companies are making a ton of money. I am still on unlimited data and I get notices all the time to up-grade and special deals (no mention that I will loose my unlimited data plan). My next phone I will just pay full price and keep my plan with NO Contract and Unlimited Data.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhdleo View Post
We have always had aTT with no problems what so ever and have dealt with that store side it opened it's doors. On a rare occasion we had an issue with something they took care of it with no problem. Sorry you had a bad experience but that doesn't mean everyone will.
AT&T hasn't always been AT&T.

From Wikipedia:

"The current iteration of AT&T Inc. began its existence as Southwestern Bell Corporation, one of seven Regional Bell Operating Companies (RBOC's) created in 1983 in the divestiture of parent company American Telephone and Telegraph Company (founded 1885, later AT&T Corp.) due to the United States v. AT&T antitrust lawsuit. Southwestern Bell changed its name to SBC Communications Inc. in 1995. In 2005, SBC purchased former parent AT&T Corp. and took on its branding, with the merged entity naming itself AT&T Inc. and using the iconic AT&T Corp. logo and stock-trading symbol."

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
They are all the same. I have been with Verizon for many years and the only time I ever go in a store is to get a new phone. Once your in the store the costs keep rising.
Exactly! AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and all the rest operate the same way. There's no getting around fit.

When cell phones first began getting popular, I had a friend who owned and electronics store and became a distributor for several different cell phone companies. Naturally I went to him for advice when I was considering buying my first cell phone.

Here's the conversation:

"Tommy, which of these cell phone companies is the best?" the answer..."They all suck!"
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Policy & Practice

The key point of my issue is that it is a Corporate Business Practice to tell the salesperson to sell "2 year contracts on IPad's and tell the customer they will save $100. But the true savings is $60 as AT&T charges $40 to get the $100 and that is a Corporate rule. Of course it would not be practical for the customer to pursue legal relief since it would be too costly and in addition the customer has probably already signed the 2 yr contract before they found out it would cost $40 thus it is a sort of "Catch 22". It would be interesting to know if the Salespeople really know what game is being played by offering $100 credit and only giving $60? Aah greed is a terrible thing,
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.