Termites in furniture – need a pro

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2021, 11:58 AM
Default Termites in furniture – need a pro

I have an antique piece of furniture that 3’ by 3’ by 4’. Unfortunately it has termites. I’ve tried three time to get rid of them by myself, with no luck. Now I’d like to let a professional have a go. Can anyone recommend a person or company who could successfully tackle fumigating this?
Old 05-07-2021, 01:59 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Termites in your chair???? Photo please as I honestly do not think that's the case. I'd bet your life that if you google that issue there'd be a simple solution. Photo please.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:31 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Termites in your chair???? Photo please as I honestly do not think that's the case. I'd bet your life that if you google that issue there'd be a simple solution. Photo please.
I didn't see a mention of it being a chair. it could be a piece that was out in a barn for decades and picked up the termites. Who knows.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:34 PM

old German music box circa 1890. Timage1-2-jpgermite dust and poop are evident. I am 1000% sure its termites. They have eaten off back leg and working their way up.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbeccles View Post
I have an antique piece of furniture that 3’ by 3’ by 4’. Unfortunately it has termites. I’ve tried three time to get rid of them by myself, with no luck. Now I’d like to let a professional have a go. Can anyone recommend a person or company who could successfully tackle fumigating this?
A lot of missing information. You may have brought termites into your home. The termites may have seriously damaged the strength of the piece as well as value.

You must kill not only the insects but the eggs as well. If, they are termites the queen, the reproductive insect only goes out to start a new colony so it is hard to kill. You want to bag it. You can make a bag from plastic sheets- tarps? That will keep them from spreading to your home. Using insecticide, you will create a gas chamber. If, it is now in your garage, the heat will make it more effective.

There are two types of termites around here. What we used to call subterranean termites, the ones that feed on wood but need to have soil contact. There is another one that does not need soil contact. Termite warranties usually do not cover the second type. You would not be the first to buy an antique and later discover you brought termites into your home.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
old German music box circa 1890. TAttachment 89375ermite dust and poop are evident. I am 1000% sure its termites. They have eaten off back leg and working their way up.
The plot thickens. You need a place that can not only get rid of the insects but restore
the damaged weakened parts. Quality work, will not be inexpensive.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:42 PM
Gold member

My friend in NC ordered a stunning dining room wooden table online from Texas. It was quite expensive and was shipped to NC. She found dust coming from the table and discovered it was termites. The termites infiltrated their home as well. There was no recourse with the company in Texas as it was an antique and the 6 month time limit for returns. It was a nightmare for them.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:16 PM
Platinum member

The furniture will have to be wrapped just like a building and fumigated. Southern pest control and Rivers pest control in north florida do it still.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
My friend in NC ordered a stunning dining room wooden table online from Texas. It was quite expensive and was shipped to NC. She found dust coming from the table and discovered it was termites. The termites infiltrated their home as well. There was no recourse with the company in Texas as it was an antique and the 6 month time limit for returns. It was a nightmare for them.
We have all made mistakes. Buying an antique table mail order. I would not do it. Six month right to return? The cost to return it would be out of sight. I recall a place in New York City that used to sell assemblages. Many were very attractive. A piece of this added to a piece of that. Antique value, little or none.

Wood is always absorbing and loosing moisture. People here move wooden objects from dry places like Arizona to moist places like Florida and do not understand when the glue fails and they warp. It is all interesting. This site as well as many others.
It is far less costly to learn form the mistakes of others than to need to make them all ourselves.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'm not looking at it. From your photo, it does not appear to have been in a barn or a run down house. It does look to have been an expensive piece at one time. Possibly restored as the gold leaf on the glass seems to have no wear,least none that I see in the photo.
I had a friend that taught himself to repair this kind of thing, clocks etc and they all worked. His home was an adventure. Every hour and every 1/4 hour some clock was going off.
In any case, you, since it is in your home need to be cautious. That music box which seems to be walnut did you bring in termites or do the termites that were in your home prefer walnut to pine.
OUCH
Old 05-07-2021, 09:03 PM

My husband has 40 years experience making new music boxes, selling, and repairing antique music boxes. He thinks it could be wood worms. He has seen a lot of wood worms in antique music boxes.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

You have Worms! ....
Old 05-08-2021, 05:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
old German music box circa 1890. TAttachment 89375ermite dust and poop are evident. I am 1000% sure its termites. They have eaten off back leg and working their way up.
Straight to the landfill
Old 05-08-2021, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Above and Beyond Pest Control are the only ones in the area that do this kind of work. I just had a very large piece done.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

I would be WAY more concerned that I brought termites into my home! It has termites and it is still in your home??
Closed Thread

Tags
termites, furniture, luck, i’d, professional

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.