Is it time for new ac?

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2021, 08:34 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts
Default Is it time for new ac?

My ac unit is circa 2004 in a 1500 sq.ft. home. My concern is I'm not there most of the year. I have gas heat, but thinking if I make a change thinking about going total electric w/a heatpump. Munns has always serviced my unit with good results. Remote thermostat would be good. Humidity control would be a must.

What are thoughts? Thank you.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:39 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Me??................would not change until it craps out.
Would not change a gas furnace for electric.......U R lucky to have gas.
Since Munn is doing your annual.....they will have a replacement in stock (verify with them) and could replace within 24 hours.
Since you gone a lot, I would make sure you have some way to monitor the temps.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Me??................would not change until it craps out.
Would not change a gas furnace for electric.......U R lucky to have gas.
Since Munn is doing your annual.....they will have a replacement in stock (verify with them) and could replace within 24 hours.
Since you gone a lot, I would make sure you have some way to monitor the temps.
Thank you for the advice. Keeping gas, but upgrading w/Munns now because of age and me being gone. I am sure if it was to die it would be in July. Sticking with gas.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think you have gotten its useful life. Assuming if you replace it today will you need to replace it again??? If not might as well do it now as in a year or two.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Thank you for the advice. Keeping gas, but upgrading w/Munns now because of age and me being gone. I am sure if it was to die it would be in July. Sticking with gas.
We went thru something similar, we are away during the hot months the AC unit was 2003 and it worked fine. We did NOT want to gamble on the chances that it would die when we were away so we had a new unit installed with a Nest thermostat so we could monitor the temperatures. I too would stick with gas and not move to electric. By the way we used Munn's too they told us we could probably get another year but we aren't much for gambling.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyStevens View Post
We went thru something similar, we are away during the hot months the AC unit was 2003 and it worked fine. We did NOT want to gamble on the chances that it would die when we were away so we had a new unit installed with a Nest thermostat so we could monitor the temperatures. I too would stick with gas and not move to electric. By the way we used Munn's too they told us we could probably get another year but we aren't much for gambling.
I'm getting the Nest thermostat also. Just under $6,500. for everything. Seemed like a fair price for some piece of mind.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:14 AM
Default AC Replacement - Advice from a contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I'm getting the Nest thermostat also. Just under $6,500. for everything. Seemed like a fair price for some piece of mind.
First of all, I am an AC contractor that lives here in the villages but have no interest in giving a quote to you for replacement, just honest advice.
So, if you have the money to replace the AC before its time (major failure) and it will give you peace of mind, then by all means replace it. Peace of mind has value. Many of my customers do want to continue to hold on to their air conditioner and money and replace when needed because many are more concerned about making it comfortably through their retirement years.

I am not doing any replacements only service and maintenance due to back issues. In a couple weeks I will be evaluated by Shands in Gainesville for options and hopefully one day get back to normal.

Everyone will tell you whoever they use is the best. I have told my wife if for some reason I am unable to do work on our AC to contact Chuck Farrall or Kalos Services. Chuck is similar to me giving honest service at a very resonable cost. As of a couple days ago Chuck is not taking new customers except through a replacement.

Hope this helps you,
Mike
The "Good Guy"
Good Guys Air Conditioning
Old 03-05-2021, 08:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labanz View Post
First of all, I am an AC contractor that lives here in the villages but have no interest in giving a quote to you for replacement, just honest advice.
So, if you have the money to replace the AC before its time (major failure) and it will give you peace of mind, then by all means replace it. Peace of mind has value. Many of my customers do want to continue to hold on to their air conditioner and money and replace when needed because many are more concerned about making it comfortably through their retirement years.

I am not doing any replacements only service and maintenance due to back issues. In a couple weeks I will be evaluated by Shands in Gainesville for options and hopefully one day get back to normal.

Everyone will tell you whoever they use is the best. I have told my wife if for some reason I am unable to do work on our AC to contact Chuck Farrall or Kalos Services. Chuck is similar to me giving honest service at a very resonable cost. As of a couple days ago Chuck is not taking new customers except through a replacement.

Hope this helps you,
Mike
The "Good Guy"
Good Guys Air Conditioning
Thank you. I hope the back improves.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:35 PM
Veteran member

When we lived in southwest, FL, we also had a cabin up north, that we would go to in the summer. When we replaced our AC, we got a NEST thermostat, so I could keep an eye on the temp. & humidity. It worked really well, and I was happy being able to control and/or just monitor the AC from up north.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:57 PM

Dont know if you shut down your internet when gone all summer.
If you install a nest or similar, it will need internet connection to work.

If you do want to shut off your internet, ask a close by neighbor if you can log in your new thermostat on their internet wireless.
Closed Thread

Tags
good, thinking, unit, circa, results

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.