The Tree Barber is a shady character.

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Angry The Tree Barber is a shady character.

We agreed on $100.00 to trim my live oak tree. After he had my lawn covered in branches and leaves he tells me that it will cost another $20.00 to haul away the debris. If I was quoted $120.00 from the beginning I probably would have agreed anyway. But to extort an extra twenty bucks is just being a wise guy. He did the same thing to my neighbor. I should have known better when he said he would take a check, but it would have to be made out to cash or to his wife. That is a classic sign that you are dealing with a shady character. That $20.00 cost him any of my future business as well as the business from any of my friends and family.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Arborist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaladino View Post
We agreed on $100.00 to trim my live oak tree. After he had my lawn covered in branches and leaves he tells me that it will cost another $20.00 to haul away the debris. If I was quoted $120.00 from the beginning I probably would have agreed anyway. But to extort an extra twenty bucks is just being a wise guy. He did the same thing to my neighbor. I should have known better when he said he would take a check, but it would have to be made out to cash or to his wife. That is a classic sign that you are dealing with a shady character. That $20.00 cost him any of my future business as well as the business from any of my friends and family.
The first mistake you made was not searching for an Arborist and we have one of the very best living right here in TV. Kanani Morris, Tree Frog, 352-446-5043 kmorris@tfeesllc.com. We have a very sick Sylvester Palm, he came to the house, cleaned it up and a couple of days later asked if he could bring a Palm Expert and someone from the U. of Florida. They came, spent the whole afternoon here, diagnosed my problem and treated the tree. It did not cost me any more than you paid, and I got the very best! There are a lot of tree gypsies out there praying on people like you, but there are also experts in TV who will do an excellent and professional job for a reasonable amount of money because they survive by recommendations from satisfied customers.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Wanting a check made out in his name or to cash usually means he's doing work under the table or he's self employed and doesn't have a business checking account - both are big red flags to me. I checked the FL state database, and while there are several "Tree Barbers" listed, none are in this area and all are expired or inactive.

$100 is a great price for trimming an oak, but if this is just some guy doing this on his own he probably does not have business liability/personal injury coverage...if he had fallen or injured himself on your property, you would have been liable. For that reason alone, I only deal with professional tree services - more expensive but with good reason.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Eternal Member

The first mistake was not making sure that the $100 included hauling away the debris.

I had one who answered that question with "we will stack it on the side and you can put it out front for trash day". They did not get my business.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Sage

I think I would look for a state certified arborist. Too easy to ruin a tree IMHO.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

You said that you agreed to $100 for triming the tree. You didn't say he offered or agreed in advance that the debris would be removed. That doesn't sound like it was extortion to later expect to be paid for any removal. As you describe the process, I think he had every right to ask for the $20 since debris removal was not part of the quote or even agreed otherwise. Matter of fact, I think he didn't even have to offer to remove the debris at any price, but mearly gave you an option if you couldn't do it yourself. My opinion of course is subject to any facts that were not presented in your post.

However, having said what I have, doesn't mean that I don't agree that method of payment is not suspicious! But suspicious alone does not mean guilty as charged. You may well be correct in your assessment, but you may equally be wrong and he just might be trying to earn a buck and not be a burden on the taxpayers. Under the facts as I know them, I would have been grateful that he gave me the option and not left me to deal with the problem... but that's just me!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
Wanting a check made out in his name or to cash usually means he's doing work under the table or he's self employed and doesn't have a business checking account - both are big red flags to me. I checked the FL state database, and while there are several "Tree Barbers" listed, none are in this area and all are expired or inactive.

$100 is a great price for trimming an oak, but if this is just some guy doing this on his own he probably does not have business liability/personal injury coverage...if he had fallen or injured himself on your property, you would have been liable. For that reason alone, I only deal with professional tree services - more expensive but with good reason.
Very good point. I will keep that in mind in future dealings with contractors around here.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Beware of pickup trucks with trailers behind them. If they make an unsolicited stop at your house, best thing to do is use the old adage, "hit the road Jack"!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Veteran member

Hey Tpaladino-Some posters on here will always blame the victim[in this case you].You had every right to be upset with this tree barber.They get some kind of kick out of insulting you by telling you how wrong you were and how their explanation is the correct way to handle or do things.It's usually the same few posters who have this air of superiority about them.Get use to it.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Sage

Tree Barber was passing out flyers on my street yesterday. Found one in my golfcart, which was parked in my friend's driveway.

Personally, I'd prefer to do business with someone who is licensed, bonded, KNOWS exactly what he's doing. Don't know this particular individual.

I noticed Tree Frog is working at my neighbor's. She has a "sick" queen palm. Will talk with her later this week and find out how she felt about his services.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.