"Up Charge Electric"

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2020, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Unfortunately life's learning lessons come with a cost our lack of knowledge of how things work at times can be costly
Old 12-13-2020, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Google is your friend....
How to Reset a Breaker - YouTube
Old 12-13-2020, 10:41 AM
Default The real question is

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Ludwigs View Post
Had a breaker switch pop off and would not reset. Looked at the websites for several local electricians. "In Charge Electric" in Leesburg was all about their many 5 star reviews. Said they give a discount to residents in The Villages.

The guy came and flipped the breaker and it worked, no need to replace it or do anything else.

Charged $144.00

Wonder how much they charge for actual work?
What will you do next when the breaker trips again? Had a similar issue with GFI in garage. I was able to reset it but it would trip again. Was tripping due to an outside electrical plug in back of our villa. We had a timer that had gotten wet and gone bad. Had electrician check every possibility until he found the culprit. We used Hayes Lighting and Electric. Was a similar cost.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterray1 View Post
What will you do next when the breaker trips again? Had a similar issue with GFI in garage. I was able to reset it but it would trip again. Was tripping due to an outside electrical plug in back of our villa. We had a timer that had gotten wet and gone bad. Had electrician check every possibility until he found the culprit. We used Hayes Lighting and Electric. Was a similar cost.
GFI breakers are much more sensitive than a regular circuit breaker inside your electrical panel. For a regular 15 amp circuit breaker to trip, the circuit needs to be overloaded by more than 15 amps of current. So, with this type of issue, it is easier to determine what is causing the breaker to trip. Usually, unplugging an appliance, like a heater, will solve the problem.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Seems like $96 for at least an hour of travel time and $48 for knowing more about electrical switches than you do and teaching you about it. Maybe not a bad deal.
Bingo!
Old 12-13-2020, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

The fact you couldn't figure out the breaker problem isn't his fault. You should have posted here FIRST! He may have spent 10 minutes at your house but he probably spent an hour in total driving back and forth to you, plus gas, wear and tear, insurance, payroll and the possibility he could have been somewhere else making $500 for his company. High, yes, but not close to being a rip off. I called one of the "big" plumbers here who had their sticker on our water heater when we first moved in and I was told up front they charge a minimum of $109 to walk in the door which includes 30 minutes of service then an hourly charge after that of $89 billed in 30 minute increments. I have learned to ALWAYS ASK THEIR MINIMUM FEES first.

EDIT: Your guy in question here advertises "up front pricing". I have never been a fan of "UP FRONT PRICING" as it is either too high for a specific task or not "up front." I had that with Lenhart Electrician to install an extra outlet in the master bathroom which I know I could have done myself. Gave me "up front pricing" of $99 on the phone but when they got here the pricing went out the back door by 50% for all kinds of absurd reasons. Ended up paying the extra $50 which was my own stupid fault for being lazy but definitely learned my lesson. "Up front pricing" ALWAYS has fine print.

Quote:
Had a breaker switch pop off and would not reset. Looked at the websites for several local electricians. "In Charge Electric" in Leesburg was all about their many 5 star reviews. Said they give a discount to residents in The Villages.

The guy came and flipped the breaker and it worked, no need to replace it or do anything else.

Charged $144.00

Last edited by EdFNJ; 12-13-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,249 Times in 362 Posts

If you guys think 96 bucks is fair for an hour of travel time (plus 46 for knowledge), I'm glad I didn't need to do business with you.

This week a guy came to my home and did an annual service on my cart including oil and a filter. The bill was less than what they charged this lady.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 12-13-2020, 02:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
If you guys think 96 bucks is fair for an hour of travel time (plus 46 for knowledge), I'm glad I didn't need to do business with you.

This week a guy came to my home and did an annual service on my cart including oil and a filter. The bill was less than what they charged this lady.
Maybe he can handle your electrical repairs
Old 12-13-2020, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:

The difference there was that your guy was likely an individual "guy" likely working on his own or maybe with one other helper or even an "employee" in a small business who didn't have much "overhead" like 5 vehicles, maybe 5 (or more) employees, likely tens of thousands of dollars in vehicle & liability insurance and business taxes and an accountant he needed to pay a couple times a year, and on and on. Apples & oranges. I'm sure the OP could have found a "handyman" locally to do it for $20 bucks or maybe free if he first posted here or googled how to reset a breaker but he chose to hire a "professional". Your "golf cart repair guy" example doesn't compare with a licensed electrician. He also had the option to say "no thanks" when he called for the appointment. HEY, I think it's on the "high side" but not by much.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:00 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,249 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Maybe he can handle your electrical repairs
I do my own, it ain't rocket science.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 12-14-2020, 07:22 AM

We use Pike's Electric. When we called for service the person we spoke with told us up front that we would incur a service charge for the tech to just show up. Did In Charge tell you this?
Old 12-14-2020, 07:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
I do my own, it ain't rocket science.
Neither is changing oil
Old 12-14-2020, 07:37 AM

Now you see the light.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Charged $144.00

Did you ask them on the phone about their costs? Some have a minimum charge just to walk in the door.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:32 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think it was a bad business decision to charge that much to a new customer who really didn't have a problem that required any work. It would have been better if the company had told the customer that the minimum charge was going to be $144 before he agreed to the visit. But, as a customer, I would have asked about the minimum charge in advance.
If they didnt ask what the charge was in advance then now you have a learning experience. All repair people have a set service fee. He had no obligation to charge you less just because you didnt know how to reset a breaker
Closed Thread

Tags
charge, breaker, electric, residents, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.