Water heater replacement by Home Depot

Old 01-10-2024, 03:04 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,249 Times in 362 Posts
Default Water heater replacement by Home Depot

I needed to replace my water heater due to a small leak. I found the one I wanted at Home Depot. 40 gallon electric with a 6 year warranty at a cost of $439 plus tax.

I checked with Home Depots installation contractor and told the lady which unit I wanted. She gave me a quote of $1,400 to install it (in the same location in my garage) and remove the existing one. I questioned the approximate $800 dollars JUST for installation and she became very condescending and told me that was a standard quote, I didn't understand the costs involved, and if I called Lowes it would be the same since she also did those quotes.

I said no thanks. The next day I went to Home Depot, bought the water heater and the items I needed to install it. I drained and removed the old one and installed the new in less than 3 hours. Full disclosure - since it is in the garage and the water connections are easily visible and accessible I used Shark Bite connectors. I put the old one on the street and called for pickup which cost me $10.

Bottom line is the entire cost was under $500 by doing it myself. Yes, I am a little handy and comfortable with the electrical and basic plumbing.

There are contractors on this site that are much more reasonable than my experience with the HD sub. I post this to inform anyone that cares that there ARE contractors out there that will take advantage of you, especially in TV. A few phone calls could save you a few bucks.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 01-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
I needed to replace my water heater due to a small leak. I found the one I wanted at Home Depot. 40 gallon electric with a 6 year warranty at a cost of $439 plus tax.

I checked with Home Depots installation contractor and told the lady which unit I wanted. She gave me a quote of $1,400 to install it (in the same location in my garage) and remove the existing one. I questioned the approximate $800 dollars JUST for installation and she became very condescending and told me that was a standard quote, I didn't understand the costs involved, and if I called Lowes it would be the same since she also did those quotes.

I said no thanks. The next day I went to Home Depot, bought the water heater and the items I needed to install it. I drained and removed the old one and installed the new in less than 3 hours. Full disclosure - since it is in the garage and the water connections are easily visible and accessible I used Shark Bite connectors. I put the old one on the street and called for pickup which cost me $10.

Bottom line is the entire cost was under $500 by doing it myself. Yes, I am a little handy and comfortable with the electrical and basic plumbing.

There are contractors on this site that are much more reasonable than my experience with the HD sub. I post this to inform anyone that cares that there ARE contractors out there that will take advantage of you, especially in TV. A few phone calls could save you a few bucks.

Job well done, good for you.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Did you also install an expansion tank? And, does it have a drain pan under the water heater with drain piping to the outside? Anyone replacing their water heater should ensure that these things are included. They are required by the code.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Did you also install an expansion tank? And, does it have a drain pan under the water heater with drain piping to the outside? Anyone replacing their water heater should ensure that these things are included. They are required by the code.
You read my mind. And let's not even get in to the SharkBite fittings
Old 01-10-2024, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,391 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Good to ask but since he replaced an existing tank the expansion tank and drain pan should have already been in place.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-10-2024, 03:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Good to ask but since he replaced an existing tank the expansion tank and drain pan should have already been in place.
The expansion tank is attached to the water heater. Best practice is to NOT use the existing expansion tank, but to replace. Not to mention reinforcing the installation of the tank with proper fittings (not having the 3/4" CPVC) support it.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,391 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
The expansion tank is attached to the water heater. Best practice is to NOT use the existing expansion tank, but to replace. Not to mention reinforcing the installation of the tank with proper fittings (not having the 3/4" CPVC) support it.
If the expansion tank was working with the old heater it will work just as well with the new heater. if it was installed properly with the old heater then it will still be installed properly with the new heater.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-10-2024, 03:35 PM
Sage

Some plumbers will omit the expansion tank if there is not an existing one already installed. I think it is a gray area in the code because they will call it a "repair" instead of a replacement. As a homeowner, I would not allow this, and would require the plumber to install a new expansion tank.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
If the expansion tank was working with the old heater it will work just as well with the new heater. if it was installed properly with the old heater then it will still be installed properly with the new heater.
I don't dispute that, in the least. But we're assuming the expansion tank has not failed and that the homeowner has tested the water pressure for the home (and made sure the existing tank matches that pressure). Given the fact a new expansion tank is $50, just install a new one (and a more robust method of supporting it)
Old 01-10-2024, 03:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Personally, I would replace the expansion tank, working or not. Not very expensive compared to the overall project.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Some plumbers will omit the expansion tank if there is not an existing one already installed. I think it is a gray area in the code because they will call it a "repair" instead of a replacement. As a homeowner, I would not allow this, and would require the plumber to install a new expansion tank.
My understanding of the code, is that on a replacement, if a water heater didn't have an expansion tank (prior to being required), and a replacement is installed, an expansion tank would be required. I believe this is similar to any retrofit, whether it's plumbing or electric. Of course I could be wrong

Last edited by photo1902; 01-10-2024 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
My understanding of the code, is that on a replacement, if a water heater didn't have an expansion tank (prior to being required), and a replacement is installed, an expansion tank would be required. I believe this is similar to any retrofit, whether it's plumbing or electric. Of course I could be wrong
I agree, but I don't think a permit is required to replace a water heater, so plumbers can get away with it. The best thing for a homeowner to do is to require all potential installers to include the expansion tank in their quote.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:26 AM

Quote:
You must be joking. I would like to know how many hot water tanks have drain piping to the outside when the tank is located in the garage.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
You must be joking. I would like to know how many hot water tanks have drain piping to the outside when the tank is located in the garage.
I live in Duval, a 2009 build, mine is located in the garage and has an outside drain.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Not joking. It is a standard code requirement, and all new houses built in The Villages within at least the past 10 to 15 years have it. Some older houses may not have a drain pan, but one should be added when the water heater is replaced.

Tags
water, home, heater, cost, depot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.