Water Quality

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Gold member

Several people have asked me about the details of the Whole House filter I had installed. Here goes: I priced these things at the local Home Depot here in NY yesterday. Both the filter unit and filters were made by G.E.
Filter Unit....Item GXWHO4F priced at $17.98.
Charcoal filter 2 pack...Item G.E. FXWTC...$10.97
I thought I paid closer to $50 for the filter unit but $17.98 was the price on the shelf.
After watching the handyman install ours I have no doubt that any homeowner who's at all handy can do their own installation. If you prefer to have it installed by someone else, any handyman or plumber can easily handle this job.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Default Water Conditions

Is the issue with the water in The Villages due to hard water or water impurity? Has anyone had the water tested for a "gpg" rating? Has anyone on this post used Easy Water? There seems to be a consensus that something needs to be done with the water, but I'm not sure it's purification or softening? Personal insights and experiences are welcomed.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappak View Post
Is the issue with the water in The Villages due to hard water or water impurity? Has anyone had the water tested for a "gpg" rating? Has anyone on this post used Easy Water? There seems to be a consensus that something needs to be done with the water, but I'm not sure it's purification or softening? Personal insights and experiences are welcomed.
I'm not concerned with the safety of the water, I just don't like the taste. Sometimes it's worse than others. Some people like softeners, I don't feel the need for one.
Up north we have a lot of sediment in the water which is why I first went to a water filter. It removed the sediment but I still had a chlorine taste which I really don't like. For that I installed a faucet filter which removed the taste from the drinking water. Then I discovered the charcoal filter elements for the whole house filter which seem to work well for sediment an taste.
There are purification systems out there but I think that's overkill. I've lived in places in the world where there was no doubt that the water was unsafe. For those places we used water purification kits. I don't think that's necessary in TV.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:33 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
Several people have asked me about the details of the Whole House filter I had installed. Here goes: I priced these things at the local Home Depot here in NY yesterday. Both the filter unit and filters were made by G.E.
Filter Unit....Item GXWHO4F priced at $17.98.
Charcoal filter 2 pack...Item G.E. FXWTC...$10.97
I thought I paid closer to $50 for the filter unit but $17.98 was the price on the shelf.
After watching the handyman install ours I have no doubt that any homeowner who's at all handy can do their own installation. If you prefer to have it installed by someone else, any handyman or plumber can easily handle this job.
Thanks Bluedog.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.