What kind of experience have you had with Consumer Cellular?

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2020, 06:28 AM

Had cc for seven years. Never a problem. Pay $48./month for two phones. Customer and tech support are USA based and resolve every issue quickly and in Fluent English
Old 08-26-2020, 06:30 AM
Default If you want to save lots of money Try Xfinity cellular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddao View Post
I'm considering a switch from Verizon to Consumer Cellular to save a little money. I currently pay about $130/mo (including taxes and fees) for two phones. It appears I can switch to CS for about $50 - $60 with 10GB of data. Consumer Reports rates them #1.

If you are using Consumer Cellular, how do you like it? Data speed, customer service, voice/text response time, etc.

Thanks for your input.
I had my doubts, I switched to xfinity cellular from Verizon they use Verizon Towers, NO CONTRACT. I researched my use with Verizon and found that I was using a maximum of 2 Gigabites of data per month (most months 1 Gig or under) for our 2 lines they charge $12 Per Gigabyte of data, been with them for over 1 year, I went from $90 Per month to an average of $22 per month for 2 lines and I have noticed zero difference in service. I also do have Xfinity for internet and TV which are different, that is real savings the highest bill that I seen was $27.00 for our two cellular lines (We used 2 gigs of data plus taxes etc came to $27) but most months our bill is $14.80
Old 08-26-2020, 06:41 AM

T Mobile for seniors. North American phone and data coverage (USA, Canada, Mexico). Worldwide texting. $80 for two phones.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:45 AM
Location: Chicago area but spend a month every year in The Villages

I am not that much of a cell phone user, but I switched to Cellular One several years ago and love it. Ideal for people like me.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:09 AM

Four years ago I switched to Tracfone. Am super happy with them. They now have unlimited monthly for $20.
Check out QVC.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:09 AM

We have Comcast Internet, and because of that, we are able to use Comcast for our cell phones.
We have two lines, unlimited, and it is pay as you need and utilize. We average three hours of phone time for messaging etc.per day and pay for two phones about $34 a month. We were told they use Verizon towers. Never had a dropped call, never had a problem. We switched from Verizon.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:12 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

I've seen the old people advertising.........wondered if the product was good.

Any body with CC travel?? How is the coverage driving state to state??
Old 08-26-2020, 07:15 AM
Default Consumer Cellular recommendation

My husband and I changed phone service from AT&T to Consumer Cellular about two years ago and couldn’t be happier! We cut our bill in half but have had NO problems with our service.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:23 AM

I have been a Consumer Cellular customer for 10 years. I pay $68. for three lines, the third line is for my sister. Adding extended family members to your plan is no problem, and they actually welcome it.
You can purchase phones through their plan.
If you are traveling out of the country they will send you a new SIM card for the trip. Customer service will help you convert your phone over and back. They are easy to reach and you are dealing with American representatives.
You can adjust your plan up or down monthly , depending on your planned usage. When I was home based a few months ago I knew I would be using home WIFI for my data, I dialed my phone plan back to 250 mg. I’m out and about more, so I bumped it back up. They will automatically adjust it upwards for you if you are running out of data, never any overcharges. Be sure and go to their website and dial it back down the next month, they will leave it at the higher usage rate until you change it.
You pick your own plan that works best for you. That’s why you see people quoting such different rates. unlimited calls and texts are standard, it’s the data plan that you choose that will add to your basic rate.
If you buy your plan at Target make sure you get the card with ATT towers. I’ve never had a problem anywhere in the nation. (Haven’t tried the dead zone in Fenny Grill)
There is a reason Consumer Cellular is consistently voted #1.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I'm considering a switch from Verizon to Consumer Cellular to save a little money. I currently pay about $130/mo (including taxes and fees) for two phones. It appears I can switch to CS for about $50 - $60 with 10GB of data. Consumer Reports rates them #1.

If you are using Consumer Cellular, how do you like it? Data speed, customer service, voice/text response time, etc.

Thanks for your input.
We just switched from AT&T to CC. We were paying $108 a month and will now pay $55 a month, unlimited talk, text and 10 GB of data. We got our first month free and their customer service was awesome. Helped us set everything up and notified AT&T to cancel our account. Based on our short time with them, think we made the right move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerman View Post
We’ve been using Mint Mobile for $15 per month per phone, including taxes.
Unlimited text, calls and data. They use T-mobile’s towers. Been very happy with them.
Nobody offers unlimited data for $15!
Platinum member
Default Look at Tracfone

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1025 View Post
Four years ago I switched to Tracfone. Am super happy with them. They now have unlimited monthly for $20.
Check out QVC.
I use Tracfone too. $79.99 for a new Samsung Galaxy Orbit phone last December. You get 1500 Min, 1500 Texts and 1.5 GB Data for the year. (Reloading over that is cheap. Unused Time/Texts/Data carryover to next year.) You can get a new phone every year or renew the service for a year. My carrier is Verizon so my coverage is the same as my wife's, who HAS TO HAVE an expensive iPhone, so her Verizon contract is $80/month.
Figure out how much you use: Minutes/month, Texts/month and Data/month. If you are a light to moderate user like me, you'll save a bundle. (Figures out to $6.67/month but you buy the whole year at the start.) No monthly fees. Just buy the biggest memory Samsung Phone + Service Package on HSN or QVC. You can transfer your current phone number if you want. No brainer. Love Tracfone.

Skip
Old 08-26-2020, 07:45 AM

We have CC and love it. $52 for 2 phones, unlimited texts, 3 gb data. We live in Monarch Grove and had a bit of trouble getting settled when we moved from Wisconsin with the phones. After going back and forth with CC and new SIM cards, we're finally all set. We're on the T-Mobile tower SIM cards because the AT&T cards didn't work for us. (Just noticed a new cell tower being installed along the turnpike near us). Their customer service is the absolute best. They had to build me a new line just so I could keep my same phone without buying a new one. I was told by CC in Wisconsin that I'd have to buy a new phone to use their service. Yes, there are signal issues in some spots, like mountains. We travel a great deal between Wisconsin and Florida and Florida and NY, so yes, dead spots with no signal in mountainous areas, but otherwise VERY happy with the bill and the service!!!
Old 08-26-2020, 07:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for your input.
In this month’s Consumer Reports (September issue) there is an article called “How to Save Up to $1,000 a Year on Your Cell Phone Plan.” I’ve pasted in a paragraph from page 42 (sorry—it got rained on). There is a company called Visible, wholly owned by Verizon, that offers UNLIMITED Data, Text, and Phone for your phone, Prepaid, for $40 a month, including all fees and taxes. If you have four phones on the account, it is only $100 a month total, and they don’t have to be in the same household. The carrier is the Verizon network, so you should have the same coverage as Verizon, which is good. It also includes a Mobile Hotspot on your phone that lets other phones or iPads use your phone system when they are nearby and signed in. So, for example, if I have my phone with me in my car or cart and this thing is on, I can also connect my iPad to it by Bluetooth and get unlimited date for that, as well, so I can use Waze or Google Maps on a much larger screen for no extra charge, or stream Netflix on my iPad in the car.

I signed up yesterday. It was very easy. Visible can do this because they charge your credit card of choice directly on the first of every month, so they don’t have to worry about when or whether you are going to pay. They also don’t maintain thousands of stores in strip malls like Verizon does. You have to sign up online at visible.com. If you sign up, you keep the same phone number unless you want a different one. Visible will send you a little SIM card by FedEx, you put it into your phone and turn it back on, and that’s about it. Visible will then contact your old company and stop the service for that phone As of that moment and transfer the number. You might have an interruption of service for five minutes, but that’s all. Your old company will send you a refund in good time.

This seems to me to be just about the best deal you can get. For the past five years, I’ve been paying Verizon $40 a month plus fees of about $10 for TWO gigabytes of data, compared with unlimited. This is great!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	F62F870A-2D91-4B92-9335-CA2E23FF56FF.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	85991  
Old 08-26-2020, 08:04 AM

I have no problem with Consumer Cellular (phone in 2 homes and cell). I am on a plan with my son, who has 3 family cells on it. Very reasonable.
Closed Thread

Tags
consumer, cellular, data, switch, rates

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.