Direct T.V

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Default Direct T.V

Hello, we need to renew our contract with Century Link and in speaking with the rep today, we are being told to switch to Direct t.v. Which will be more cost effective. We don’t like satellite dishes. However my question is regarding anyone’s experience with satellite here since we often have adverse weather. Appreciate any responses.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Sage

when you really need it during hurricane season ,you may lose signal--we had the equivalent of dish tv on our boat when we were cruising--lost signals all the time in heavy rain==if you decide on a dish type system--our builder told use to never install any dish on the house --have the dish installed with a post in the ground
Old 05-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Gold member

We had our DirecTV dish installed on a pole on the side of our house. With DTV there are two channels for each HD station. When it rains heavily you will lose your HD channel. We just change to the SD ( Standard Definition ) channel and continue watching. The problem is when you schedule DVR in HD you will not get the part when it is raining real hard. You get used to it quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2018, 01:48 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Think we lost power twice last year due to bad weather. Both times were under five minutes. However, have been having issues lately with pixels and length of time downloading On Demand programs. Very frustrating.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've had Directv since 2008, of which since 2011 has been here in TV along with Century Link phone and internet. As MikeV said, if you lose picture go to the standard definition channel and watch. Even in Hurricane Irma I never lost picture, even had HD most of the night. Another option is, outages are a good time to watch a recorded show. My HD DVR has 1000 hours storage and I keep it about 80% full of recorded shows and movies.

I have the Premier package, so basically every channel is available for me except for the sports packages which are sold separately. I only subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket when that season comes around. Since I've been with them a few years I can usually negotiate price, last season they gave me NFL Sunday Ticket for free. There also packages for MLB, NBA and NHL. You'll get the in-market games like Tampa Bay Rays but for example if you want to watch every Red Sox, or Cubs, or Yankees game, if you subscribe you'll get every baseball game. They always give you the first week free, so since 2011 I've watched the home opener every year of my Orioles. Same is true with NFL Ticket, the first weekend everybody will get it free. You'll also get a lot more college football and basketball if you get Premier Package or add the sports package, which is only about $5 extra, then you get all the regional sports channels around the country.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:12 PM
Smile Thank you

Thanks to everyone who replied. We had Direct tv in Las Vegas, no problem, but had worried about weather issues here. Guess SD answers the question.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Overall you will be very happy and the price is a little better in the south. They will negotiate on sports channels if you want to haggle a little bit.
Closed Thread

Tags
direct, satellite, t.v, question, anyone’s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.