Xfinity usage notification?????,

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2019, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think you need to change the playback setting for each streaming service. For example, for Netflix, go to Netflix.com, sign in, open "my profile", and select "playback setting" and select the setting you want. When you rent a movie to stream, sometimes you have a choice about the playback resolution.

There are also resolution settings on your TV, cable box, and possibly on your streaming device. But, I don't think changing these settings will affect the Xfinity data calculation. So, if the Internet streaming source is delivering content at 1080p, and you have a lower setting on your cable box, TV, or streaming device, I think you will still be using data at the 1080p data rate because that is the amount of data coming through your modem.
Thank you retiredguy!
Old 07-31-2019, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Ok, here is where my ignorance is going to be obvious, where do you change setting from 1080 to 760????
The Same thing, Exactly the same thing happened to me the first month we Streamed. We went over by a bundle of Data and got the same warning from Comcast and the fixes I described fixed the problem for the next month. I used YouTube and CWGUY for all the info so I didn't just think up the steps myself. I take no credit.

We can go step by step. Whenever you are finished watching whatever you are watching hit the home button on the Fire Stick when you are finished with your TV session. Then turn the Power off on the Fire Device and then the TV.

Once you get this one down we'll go to the next one.

If I can master this so can anybody. Team jebartle.

I'll check in later. We'll do the second step.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:24 PM
Sage

I looked up the data usage on our Comcast bill. We generally stream something starting for around three hours in the evening on Netflix or another service. The highest data usage we've seen is 176 gb. Our computers are on all day...so do they not use data?
Old 07-31-2019, 04:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
I looked up the data usage on our Comcast bill. We generally stream something starting for around three hours in the evening on Netflix or another service. The highest data usage we've seen is 176 gb. Our computers are on all day...so do they not use data?
Computers and Laptops and iPads use Data but very little. The thing that puts people over the line is Streaming on the TV. We have used a little over 800 Gigawatts for the last three months.

In the beginning, when we went over the limit I think it was partly because someone was using our Wi-Fi on an unsecured Wireless Network from an old Fire TV box (Generation One) that was hooked up and I didn't know it.

Carla B, you are doing great.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:25 AM
Gold member

Comcast told me that they do monitor your usage. Centurylink told me that they do not even have a device to monitor my usage. Besides, Comcast doesn't have my 2 favorite TV channels, OAN and RFD.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
The Same thing, Exactly the same thing happened to me the first month we Streamed. We went over by a bundle of Data and got the same warning from Comcast and the fixes I described fixed the problem for the next month. I used YouTube and CWGUY for all the info so I didn't just think up the steps myself. I take no credit.

We can go step by step. Whenever you are finished watching whatever you are watching hit the home button on the Fire Stick when you are finished with your TV session. Then turn the Power off on the Fire Device and then the TV.

Once you get this one down we'll go to the next one.

If I can master this so can anybody. Team jebartle.

I'll check in later. We'll do the second step.
How do you turn off the power to the Fire Stick?
Old 08-01-2019, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
To check your Comcast data usage, just click on the Xfinity button on your remote, click on the settings "gear", My Account, and then Data Usage.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
How do you turn off the power to the Fire Stick?
How to turn OFF Amazon Fire Stick - Power off FireStick - YouTube

This is the main reason I changed over to Roku. Ease of use.

My Fire Stick is a Collectors Item. It must be over 5 years old. I don't even use it anymore.
Closed Thread

Tags
usage, xfinity, notification, months, comcast

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.