The 7 Stages of Covid

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Most of us have people that we love, and then people that we really like. At our age that group is easily one hundred people if you count friends in your neighborhood, golf friends, and people married to people we see a lot.

Out of those hundred people, three will die from Covid. Three real people.

We have lived in our small Village of 52 houses for eleven years. It is separate from the others with swamp land and a busy road. Most of the homes have two people living in them and some have one. We gathered frequently at the mail drop to socialize or at Laurel Manor before the pandemic. We stop and chat when we see people out walking. In eleven years you really get to know your neighbors pretty well especially when everyone is retired. Our Village numbers less than a hundred people. One of our neighbors died of Covid.

Overall three percent of Americans have died from Covid, that is including all ages, but when you group older people alone, the number doubles.

It is a horrible death that can be prevented. Please get both shots. People love you.
I hope this makes you feel a little bit better. There are, as of 2020 count, 332,000,000 people in the US. As of Sept 20, 2021 there are 676,076 deaths. That comes out to just over 2/10th of one percent. That is .002. Three percent would be .03. Had 3% of the pop[ulation died it would be just under 10 million deaths
Old 09-21-2021, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's great that most unvaccinated people who get COVID don't go to the hospital and recover just fine.

I'm glad to hear it.

Sadly, there are people who will hear that and say "you see? It's no big deal, I don't have to get vaccinated, or wear a mask, or social distance. This cough? It's just allergies, no big deal. My wheezing? Just a spring cold. Test? Nah, why bother? Even if I have COVID-19, it's likely I'll just stay in bed a day and feel fine tomorrow. No need to take ANY precautions, because I heard that "most unvaccinated people who get COVID don't go to the hospital and recover just fine."

There are MILLIONS of people who have that attitude. Those are the people who are dying in the hospitals now.

That's why some people should NOT be hearing that cheerful news, and why they need to see what actually goes on when someone IS sick with COVID, in the hospital.
Who gets the authority to make the decision to judge whether or not certain folks are deemed worthy of the truth/transparency? Actually, I agree with the rest of your comment. I also believe they should hear both sides on the subject, not just what certain folks deem necessary.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyseguy View Post
Didn't they report that the vaccine was not effective against the delta variant?
No. Put this in your browser;

Covid vaccine is effective against Delta Variant.

There are many clear answers from valid and respected sources; Mayo Clinic, CDC, etc.

Not 100 % but enough to keep you alive and out of the hospital.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
Most unvaccinated people who get Covid do not go to the hospital and recover just fine. No one wants to hear that though
Thank goodness this does happen, but is it worth it to risk death?
Old 09-21-2021, 08:42 AM
Default Thanks 🙏

This is really great, thank you very much again for putting this out there and, I get it, there really is a strong family dynamic but, as were seeing and as time should prove, this is a medical issue that is serious for some, like me and probably many of you, and not so serious for the younger generation but it can be easily be spread from person to person so Hopefully people will come to their senses and the medical community will get a hold of it all. I had Covid sick for a month and a half and refused to go to the hospital I just stayed indoors and suffered, it was awful having COPD and asthma. I also lost my best friend of 58 years and two other guys that I know very well to Covid. Here’s the good news. If we are vigilant and wear a mask in crowded places and wash our hands regularly, Docter’s say there’s a 99% chance we won’t get COVID-19. I was watching some YouTube video and there was this girl who is an MIT math genius and she broke down the realities of what your chances are to get Covid with and without the shot. And not to bore anybody but without a Covid shot our chances are 1 in 8 of contracting Covid. And with the Covid shot our chances are 1 and 14,000. And some people are still getting a small strain of Covid even after they’ve been vaccinated but without that vaccination it could be very very serious so this was an eye opener to me. Thanks again for the post and to everyone please stay safe and God bless you and your families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I have never done a cut-and-paste from a published article, but that's the only way I could do this. Unlike other cut-and-pastes I have seen that often do not cite the source, I will do so. . .

This is what is known to research as a primary source. Primary sources are defined as first-hand accounts of a topic by people who had a connection with it.

The following article was published in the Op-Ed section of the LA Times, August 26, 2021. The writer is Karen Gallardo, a respiratory therapist at Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura.

(In spite of the disagreements we Villagers can have sometimes on TOTV, I think most of us have sense enough to have been vaccinated. We duly vaccinated, older and (sometimes) wiser, people do not seem to be the age-group that welcomed Covid back to another rampant run.

I have boomer friends who cannot get their adult children to be vaccinated -- not to protect their own children, not to protect themselves, and not to protect their "old" parents. Family dynamics for some are getting downright weird. . .but. . .I digress.)

Here's the article. Read it and weep.

Boomer

Op-Ed: On the front lines, here’s what the seven stages of severe COVID-19 look like

I’m a respiratory therapist. With the fourth wave of the pandemic in full swing, fueled by the highly contagious Delta variant, the trajectory of the patients I see, from admission to critical care, is all too familiar. When they’re vaccinated, their COVID-19 infections most likely end after Stage 1. If only that were the case for everyone.

Get vaccinated. If you choose not to, here’s what to expect if you are hospitalized for a serious case of COVID-19.

Stage 1. You’ve had debilitating symptoms for a few days, but now it is so hard to breathe that you come to the emergency room. Your oxygen saturation level tells us you need help, a supplemental flow of 1 to 4 liters of oxygen per minute. We admit you and start you on antivirals, steroids, anticoagulants or monoclonal antibodies. You’ll spend several days in the hospital feeling run-down, but if we can wean you off the oxygen, you’ll get discharged. You survive.

Stage 2. It becomes harder and harder for you to breathe. “Like drowning,” many patients describe the feeling. The bronchodilator treatments we give you provide little relief. Your oxygen requirements increase significantly, from 4 liters to 15 liters to 40 liters per minute. Little things, like relieving yourself or sitting up in bed, become too difficult for you to do on your own. Your oxygen saturation rapidly declines when you move about. We transfer you to the intensive care unit.

Stage 3. You’re exhausted from hyperventilating to satisfy your body’s demand for air. We put you on noninvasive, “positive pressure” ventilation — a big, bulky face mask that must be Velcro’d tightly around your face so the machine can efficiently push pressure into your lungs to pop them open so you get enough of the oxygen it delivers.

Stage 4. Your breathing becomes even more labored. We can tell you’re severely fatigued. An arterial blood draw confirms that the oxygen content in your blood is critically low. We prepare to intubate you. If you’re able to and if there’s time, we will suggest that you call your loved ones. This might be the last time they’ll hear your voice.
We connect you to a ventilator. You are sedated and paralyzed, fed through a feeding tube, hooked to a Foley catheter and a rectal tube. We turn your limp body regularly, so you don’t develop pressure ulcers — bed sores. We bathe you and keep you clean. We flip you onto your stomach to allow for better oxygenation. We will try experimental therapeutics.

Stage 5. Some patients survive Stage 4. Unfortunately, your oxygen levels and overall condition have not improved after several days on the ventilator. Your COVID-infested lungs need assistance and time to heal, something that an ECMO machine, which bypasses your lungs and oxygenates your blood, can provide. But alas, our community hospital doesn’t have that capability.

If you’re stable enough, you will get transferred to another hospital for that therapy. Otherwise, we’ll continue treating you as best we can. We’re understaffed and overwhelmed, but we’ll always give you the best care we can.

Stage 6. The pressure required to open your lungs is so high that air can leak into your chest cavity, so we insert tubes to clear it out. Your kidneys fail to filter the byproducts from the drugs we continuously give you. Despite diuretics, your entire body swells from fluid retention, and you require dialysis to help with your renal function.

The long hospital stay and your depressed immune system make you susceptible to infections. A chest X-ray shows fluid accumulating in your lung sacs. A blood clot may show up, too. We can’t prevent these complications at this point; we treat them as they present.

If your blood pressure drops critically, we will administer vasopressors to bring it up, but your heart may stop anyway. After several rounds of CPR, we’ll get your pulse and circulation back. But soon, your family will need to make a difficult decision.

Stage 7: After several meetings with the palliative care team, your family decides to withdraw care. We extubate you, turning off the breathing machinery. We set up a final FaceTime call with your loved ones. As we work in your room, we hear crying and loving goodbyes. We cry, too, and we hold your hand until your last natural breath.

I’ve been at this for 17 months now. It doesn’t get easier. My pandemic stories rarely end well.

Karen Gallardo is a respiratory therapist at Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Respect her choice, and require that she respect yours. She, her spouse, your grandchildren - are not welcome on your property until and unless she and her spouse are fully vaccinated and your grandchildren masked from the moment they enter the house until the moment they leave, and maintain a 6-foot distance from you at all times.
You must be a joy at parties.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I think I answered my own question:
"Only 6% of deaths have only COVID-19 listed in the death report, according to the CDC." - ABC news (if they can be trusted).
Not sure if this indicates that there was nothing else wrong with the subject such as those illnesses listed; ie. obese, diabetic, etc. or whether the death reports were just being used to pad the stats (say it isn't so!).
Not very many of us get to be older without having some other "normal" health issues associated with aging such as higher cholesterol, eating too much sugar, elevated blood pressure, but we play pickleball and golf and look healthy as can be.

If the person dying from Covid is someone you absolutely cherish, numbers don't matter. The wonderful thing to think about is that it can be prevented.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Not very many of us get to be older without having some other "normal" health issues associated with aging such as higher cholesterol, eating too much sugar, elevated blood pressure, but we play pickleball and golf and look healthy as can be.

If the person dying from Covid is someone you absolutely cherish, numbers don't matter. The wonderful thing to think about is that it can be prevented.
You cannot make these choices for others. All you can do is do what is right for you and hope that they will learn by example. Sorry, but other folks must make their own choices, whether their choice works out or whether it turns out to be a disaster.
Personally, I think that I would rather live my life regardless of obstacles and possibly short than a long, boring, protected, regulated and controlled life. If I had to stay home cowering in fear of becoming infected, I think I would opt for an early demise. But, that is just my opinion and how I feel right now. I can not predict what I might feel tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:55 AM

Thanks for posting. Some people need that reality check.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

Quote:
I think I answered my own question:
"Only 6% of deaths have only COVID-19 listed in the death report, according to the CDC." - ABC news (if they can be trusted).
Not sure if this indicates that there was nothing else wrong with the subject such as those illnesses listed; ie. obese, diabetic, etc. or whether the death reports were just being used to pad the stats (say it isn't so!).
Then there is the medicare payment for patients labeled covid....and an even higher coverage if on a ventilator.

Could there be any doubt that when $$$ are involved the numbers game gets "murky"?
Old 09-21-2021, 09:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
You cannot make these choices for others. All you can do is do what is right for you and hope that they will learn by example. Sorry, but other folks must make their own choices, whether their choice works out or whether it turns out to be a disaster.
Personally, I think that I would rather live my life regardless of obstacles and possibly short than a long, boring, protected, regulated and controlled life. If I had to stay home cowering in fear of becoming infected, I think I would opt for an early demise. But, that is just my opinion and how I feel right now. I can not predict what I might feel tomorrow.

I understand your philosophy. If you have a child, she may not. If you have a mom, she may not. If you have a partner, they may not. We all want those who matter to us to live more extra days. I don't know you, but I like your strong and independent attitude. It is the very thing I have witnessed in good people all of my life.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheiro View Post
This is not a circumstance to respect a choice where such a choice is a-clear-and-present-danger to everyone else.
The unvaccinated are responsible for the recent outbreak of the disease, it is their fault that the deaths have now exceeded the US deaths of the 1918 flu (675,000) and now stands at 680,000 (48,000 in Florida). The vaccine is not a choice it is the responsible thing to do.
My point was that’s it’s an individual decision. You may think it’s a cut-and-dry choice but some don’t feel the same as you.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I have never done a cut-and-paste from a published article, but that's the only way I could do this. Unlike other cut-and-pastes I have seen that often do not cite the source, I will do so. . .

This is what is known to research as a primary source. Primary sources are defined as first-hand accounts of a topic by people who had a connection with it.

The following article was published in the Op-Ed section of the LA Times, August 26, 2021. The writer is Karen Gallardo, a respiratory therapist at Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura.

(In spite of the disagreements we Villagers can have sometimes on TOTV, I think most of us have sense enough to have been vaccinated. We duly vaccinated, older and (sometimes) wiser, people do not seem to be the age-group that welcomed Covid back to another rampant run.

I have boomer friends who cannot get their adult children to be vaccinated -- not to protect their own children, not to protect themselves, and not to protect their "old" parents. Family dynamics for some are getting downright weird. . .but. . .I digress.)

Here's the article. Read it and weep.

Boomer

Op-Ed: On the front lines, here’s what the seven stages of severe COVID-19 look like

I’m a respiratory therapist. With the fourth wave of the pandemic in full swing, fueled by the highly contagious Delta variant, the trajectory of the patients I see, from admission to critical care, is all too familiar. When they’re vaccinated, their COVID-19 infections most likely end after Stage 1. If only that were the case for everyone.

Get vaccinated. If you choose not to, here’s what to expect if you are hospitalized for a serious case of COVID-19.

Stage 1. You’ve had debilitating symptoms for a few days, but now it is so hard to breathe that you come to the emergency room. Your oxygen saturation level tells us you need help, a supplemental flow of 1 to 4 liters of oxygen per minute. We admit you and start you on antivirals, steroids, anticoagulants or monoclonal antibodies. You’ll spend several days in the hospital feeling run-down, but if we can wean you off the oxygen, you’ll get discharged. You survive.

Stage 2. It becomes harder and harder for you to breathe. “Like drowning,” many patients describe the feeling. The bronchodilator treatments we give you provide little relief. Your oxygen requirements increase significantly, from 4 liters to 15 liters to 40 liters per minute. Little things, like relieving yourself or sitting up in bed, become too difficult for you to do on your own. Your oxygen saturation rapidly declines when you move about. We transfer you to the intensive care unit.

Stage 3. You’re exhausted from hyperventilating to satisfy your body’s demand for air. We put you on noninvasive, “positive pressure” ventilation — a big, bulky face mask that must be Velcro’d tightly around your face so the machine can efficiently push pressure into your lungs to pop them open so you get enough of the oxygen it delivers.

Stage 4. Your breathing becomes even more labored. We can tell you’re severely fatigued. An arterial blood draw confirms that the oxygen content in your blood is critically low. We prepare to intubate you. If you’re able to and if there’s time, we will suggest that you call your loved ones. This might be the last time they’ll hear your voice.
We connect you to a ventilator. You are sedated and paralyzed, fed through a feeding tube, hooked to a Foley catheter and a rectal tube. We turn your limp body regularly, so you don’t develop pressure ulcers — bed sores. We bathe you and keep you clean. We flip you onto your stomach to allow for better oxygenation. We will try experimental therapeutics.

Stage 5. Some patients survive Stage 4. Unfortunately, your oxygen levels and overall condition have not improved after several days on the ventilator. Your COVID-infested lungs need assistance and time to heal, something that an ECMO machine, which bypasses your lungs and oxygenates your blood, can provide. But alas, our community hospital doesn’t have that capability.

If you’re stable enough, you will get transferred to another hospital for that therapy. Otherwise, we’ll continue treating you as best we can. We’re understaffed and overwhelmed, but we’ll always give you the best care we can.

Stage 6. The pressure required to open your lungs is so high that air can leak into your chest cavity, so we insert tubes to clear it out. Your kidneys fail to filter the byproducts from the drugs we continuously give you. Despite diuretics, your entire body swells from fluid retention, and you require dialysis to help with your renal function.

The long hospital stay and your depressed immune system make you susceptible to infections. A chest X-ray shows fluid accumulating in your lung sacs. A blood clot may show up, too. We can’t prevent these complications at this point; we treat them as they present.

If your blood pressure drops critically, we will administer vasopressors to bring it up, but your heart may stop anyway. After several rounds of CPR, we’ll get your pulse and circulation back. But soon, your family will need to make a difficult decision.

Stage 7: After several meetings with the palliative care team, your family decides to withdraw care. We extubate you, turning off the breathing machinery. We set up a final FaceTime call with your loved ones. As we work in your room, we hear crying and loving goodbyes. We cry, too, and we hold your hand until your last natural breath.

I’ve been at this for 17 months now. It doesn’t get easier. My pandemic stories rarely end well.

Karen Gallardo is a respiratory therapist at Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura.
The fallacy of this list is that "Stage 1" is in the hospital. This is because Fauci and friends (NIH, CDC, FDA, fakebook, google, twitter, youtube) suppress and censor any and all treatment options. I had COVID. I beat it back in 48 hours with a treatment classified as "misinformation" by the pundits. The real list should begin something like:

Stage 1: you don't feel well and you think might have COVID. Go get tested.

Stage 2: Ignore Fauci and begin early treatment options that are working. America's Frontline Doctors have much to offer including early treatment options. This is from many doctors who are actually treating COVID patients. Fauci has not treated anyone for COVID.

Stage 3: End of COVID infection whether vaccinated or not.

Failure to do the above and just waiting at home with no treatment to see what your body will do on its own (other than a coerced vax, this is the only recommended action by Fauci, and all the 3-letter agencies) and then you have a good chance of a hospital visit.

Not getting vaccinated is not the problem. Suppression of valid, effective treatment options in order to coerce vaccination is the problem. Think for yourselves. Don't let anyone do it for you.

I (not vaccinated and staying that way) was infected along with my friend Rich (Pfizer vax) on Aug 18 at a local pub. We both got mildly sick (fever, headache, etc) at the same time and we both tested positive for the Delta variant. I took immediate action (already had "prohibited" meds on hand and ready to go from Frontline Doctors). I had enough for Rich and offered them to him. He refused preferring to rely on his Pfizer promise. A week later he was not improving and went in for the monoclonal crap. It will be 5 weeks tomorrow and he is still too weak to go out for a beer. My recovery was so fast (48 hours) that I didn't even infect my wife who shares a bed with me. No, Rich is not dead. Pfizer may have kept him from getting deathly ill. But, he is still a mess 5 weeks later.

I went and got the anti-body test and I now have robust natural immunity.

I know many of you will just file this under "misinformation". Do so at your own peril or that of your relatives who like me will never bow to Saint Anthony (fauci).

P. S. I am 64 and Rich is 67
And, I'm not wearing the damn mask.
Majority doesn't rule here. My body, my choice. Get over it.

Last edited by oneclickplus; 09-21-2021 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Added ages.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,217 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
On the show 60 Minutes a couple weeks ago there was a great interview about the Pentagon project which aims to save soldiers from all types of foreign viruses. Here's a quote from the interview which can be found on line in its w=entirety:

"Dr. Modjarrad says in five years a single vaccine could defeat all coronaviruses: that means many common colds, the deadly strain causing this pandemic and thousands of others.

Bill Whitaker: Is that at this point-- a dream?

Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad: This is not science fiction, this is science fact. We have the tools, we have the technology, to do this all right now.

Bill Whitaker: And you think we can, at some point, inoculate the world against these killer viruses.

Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad: Killer viruses that we haven't seen or even imagined, we'll be protected against."

Pretty incredible stuff!!!
Sign me up!
Old 09-21-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I’m all for the Regeneron treatment for anyone who qualifies for it. It is a wonderful thing that there is a treatment that works for Covid.

Does this Regeneron treatment have FULL FDA APPROVAL like the Pfizer vaccine does? Just wondering.
Pfizer does not have FDA approval...only emergency use. The BioNTech has full approval under its label....can't take Pfizer to court if anything goes wrong.....BioNTech is not protected from being liable...only under that one label which can be found no where.

Last edited by drducat; 09-22-2021 at 05:19 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
stage, oxygen, hospital, vaccinated, blood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.